Congrats Puzz Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Zelda3 IQ test hack Guide Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Zelda3 IQ test hack Guide Empty Re: Zelda3 IQ test hack Guide

Post by Puzzledude Sun 3 Jul 2016 - 17:55

Yes, I'm glad to be finished with the project. And this game just needs that extra step with the Guide. I believe you once asked for the optimal solution for the warping maze, so it is now finally written down in a document.

I actually decided for the visual approach and then also went for the Notes idea on all those complex parts, where the pictures alone might not describe the solution properly (like the warping sequence or the black rooms, or mazes in the dark etc). But most of the game still can be understood from simple play-through screens, similar to you tube videos.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda3 IQ test hack Guide Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Sun 3 Jul 2016 - 20:25

Very nice guide. I'm curious how you when about creating the puzzles. What was your process?

Also you couldoptimize the screenshots in the png guide. It's 30MB. I understand there's a lot of images for for it hence the size, but I saw 8kb and 14kb for SNES screenshots that can definitely be optimized and reduced in size. Try pngout.exe from this page: http://www.advsys.net/ken/utils.htm

If you are good with command line, you can select a whole folder.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 6:22

https://www.twitch.tv/christosowen/v/25472917

https://www.twitch.tv/christosowen/v/25472996

^^You don't see that many full playthroughs of that game, but thankfully there's that twelve hours one by CristosOwen!

Floki

Zelda3 IQ test hack Guide Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 7:43

What was your process?
I just had a global idea of a hack with difficult puzzles, not usually seen in Zelda games due to their complex nature. The first and second dungeon were planed to be upgraded (different) versions of Impa's ways and Nabooru's hole from Parallel Worlds, while for the third I wanted to implement the multipushable block and added water, stone, and brawn trail block by accident, since the game reloads the floor (no matter what is put under the block initially).

So I discovered the water block in a combo with the regular block pushing sessions by accident and decided to implement that. And was astonished what complex designs you can make with that in a combination with "undoing" the small fences to advance. Later however the block pushing puzzles were mixed with using the hookshot.

For the final dungeon I was thinking of using the jumping element and came up with all those jump puzzles along the way. I also wanted some "normal" dungeon design rooms (can be seen in final stages of the game). While the unattractive "black rooms" were also discovered by accident (accidently found the black wall element, similar to black floor element).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 7:52; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 4 Jul 2016 - 7:47

Jaqen wrote:https://www.twitch.tv/christosowen/v/25472917

https://www.twitch.tv/christosowen/v/25472996

^^You don't see that many full playthroughs of that game, but thankfully there's that twelve hours one by CristosOwen!

Wasn't aware of that. Great playthrough and probably one of the kind, since this game is not so attractive as some other Alttp hacks, for instance like GoW, who has tons of walkthroughs on You tube (even in german and french I believe).

Also you could optimize the screenshots in the png guide. It's 30MB.
This is actually the "normal" size for PNG, which is using the ZIP algorithm to reduce size. The uncompressed size of such a pdf guide with 3700 png pictures is around 270MB (that is with full quality and no compression). Using the standard compression will bring it to 30MB. But I guess you can bring it further down, however I will probably not do that, since I'm glad to be finished with the project.

I also wanted for the PNGs to remain in their "clean" resolution the way the SNES outputs it. I had some problems at first since all conversions into PDF were reducing the quality (and size) by default.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down