AntROMhacker's Burning Questions

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

AntROMhacker's Burning Questions - Page 3 Empty Re: AntROMhacker's Burning Questions

Post by Puzzledude Wed 2 Nov 2016 - 13:59

AntROMhacker wrote:Hi everyone. Been a long while sinse the last update here, I came up with a great idea, how could I combine all the normal house rooms into a dungeon? Because I want to make a house of souls, because in the normal houses the little keys don't show up on the HUD (where the bombs and arrows and ruppees are).
After reading this, I see you actually don't have a perspective how the game works at all.

Keys appearing in the HUD is completely dependent on how you define an entrance: if you define it as "dungeon:name of dungeon" the game will know it is a dungeon, if you define it as "dungeon:none" the game will know it is not. And it does not go vice versa. Dungeon to none requires the hex edit after HM, the non to dungeon work in HM directly.

Rooms above 255 can not be dungeons at all. This is reserved for the houses and caves, which have special entrances, which are entrances and exits in one. Those entrances will not allow multiple exits like normal dungeons do.

Your house of Souls can however be normally built on the area 1-254, in which you adopt the dungeon entrance properties to whatever dungeon you like, change the blockset to house on the entrance, and change the palettes to house. Pretty much how the Guardhouse of PW and GoW were done. Of course it does not matter where to put the entrances to these dungeon houses - can also be placed on houses obviously. So the idea obviously is doable, you just need to understand how the game works first.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

AntROMhacker's Burning Questions - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

AntROMhacker's Burning Questions - Page 3 Empty Re: AntROMhacker's Burning Questions

Post by AntROMhacker Wed 2 Nov 2016 - 17:34

Yes, thanks puzz.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2016-04-13

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 6:07

Okay, i need some advice from the senior zelda 3 players, which would you prefer to be in a zelda 3 hack, holes that hirt you, OR holes that give you a GAME OVER? Or anthor words, you fall in, you fall into a room filled with spiked floors, giving u a game over? Because i was thinking about doing that. Instead of doing all this hex work for unlimited holes i was thinking about that
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Thu 3 Nov 2016 - 20:50

i have come across a VERY strange and ANNOYING Bug with HM on my rom , whenever i try to open specific dungeon rooms, the editor auomatically crashes! what should i do?
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 7:56

AntROMhacker wrote:i have come across a VERY strange and ANNOYING Bug with HM on my rom , whenever i try to open specific dungeon rooms, the editor auomatically crashes! what should i do?
Your Rom is completely destroyed. Trash this one and start with the new Rom, presumably transfering data from one to other.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 8:09

Oh well thats just great, thanks puzz
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Fri 4 Nov 2016 - 20:38

well, it pains me to say this, but, i have removed my hack, it has become to much of a hassle to make. but thanks to puzzledude who has taught me so much, i WILL return, but not with a 100% full fledge hack though.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 14:38

well, its been a long while sinse i last posted here, but, im back into rom hacking... And RIGHT OFF the bat, the editor is giving me problems. whenever i try to edit the monologue for the opening - his uncle leaving the house, it shows up, but when i leave the house, it crashes instantly! Is it because of all the monologue entries are filled in, what should i do to fix this, delete some of the monologues?
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 15:15

I could be wrong, but this sounds like what happens when you remove the exit marker from the outside of a house/dungeon.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 16:12

SunGodPortal wrote:I could be wrong, but this sounds like what happens when you remove the exit marker from the outside of a house/dungeon.
i actually went through several ROMS because of this so i dont think its that, it would be nice if HM wasnt so buggy thats for sure. Mad
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 16:58

I hear ya. It sucks but after a while you get a pretty good feel for what you can and can't do. At this point I can use it without any bugs expect for the ones I create by not doing something right or the ones that are common and easy to fix (like the screen shake bug). I'm still confused on how editing the monologue could cause this, but I guess someone like Mr. Puzzledude will have to chime in on that one.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 17:22

SunGodPortal wrote:I hear ya. It sucks but after a while you get a pretty good feel for what you can and can't do. At this point I can use it without any bugs expect for the ones I create by not doing something right or the ones that are common and easy to fix (like the screen shake bug). I'm still confused on how editing the monologue could cause this, but I guess someone like Mr. Puzzledude will have to chime in on that one.
yes, hes a very helpful guy , he pratically taught me how to use HM. Very Happy
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 17:30

There is no direct connection between a monologue edit and a game crash, when going outside of the house. Even if you would have mixed the entrances and exits, it should simply go to infinite black screen instead of crash.

But it is true, if you edit the monologues with one monologue having too much info, while the rest is untouched, it would simply go to "overflow" bug, in which HM will automatically erase every monologue above 350 to gain space. The result is again not a crash, even if you load monologues beyond 350 like pressing "select" which bring up the monologue: continue, save and quit.

Editing monologues usually results in camera shake bug. No monologue is loaded when you leave the house, so impossible to say, what is going wrong here. But I believe someone reported such a problem once.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 19 Nov 2016 - 18:41

Puzzledude wrote:There is no direct connection between a monologue edit and a game crash, when going outside of the house. Even if you would have mixed the entrances and exits, it should simply go to infinite black screen instead of crash.

But it is true, if you edit the monologues with one monologue having too much info, while the rest is untouched, it would simply go to "overflow" bug, in which HM will automatically erase every monologue above 350 to gain space. The result is again not a crash, even if you load monologues beyond 350 like pressing "select" which bring up the monologue: continue, save and quit.

Editing monologues usually results in camera shake bug. No monologue is loaded when you leave the house, so impossible to say, what is going wrong here. But I believe someone reported such a problem once.
Yes, HM is a very strange editor at times, but i managed to get past it, im currently redoing the castle to a guardhouse.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sun 20 Nov 2016 - 12:23

Puzzledude wrote:There is no direct connection between a monologue edit and a game crash, when going outside of the house. Even if you would have mixed the entrances and exits, it should simply go to infinite black screen instead of crash.

Is there a such way where you can edit the monologues without encountering the overflow bug? Like I'm practically going to use all the monologues in my hack, practically it will be a 50% - 75% hack, new dungeons, monologue, new story basically. And a possible redesigned or if not new overworld. Prob will do the redesigned one, basically no pendants, the master sword will be in the dark world in a chest, but of course you will  need the moon pearl, so MAYBE one or two light world dungeons.. I know i have a weird way of having ideas for hacks...
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 7:08

Okay, its time for me to get more into depth with the ROM itself, When the logo nintendo presents, and when the twinkle noise plays, how i could change that to something else, im assuming its HEX work.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by IntimFuchtler Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 15:42

Puzzledude wrote:
AntROMhacker wrote:i have come across a VERY strange and ANNOYING Bug with HM on my rom , whenever i try to open specific dungeon rooms, the editor auomatically crashes! what should i do?
Your Rom is completely destroyed. Trash this one and start with the new Rom, presumably transfering data from one to other.

Well, this happened to me a few times while working on Hylian Legacy.
I fixed this by importing the same Room fom native Alttp into my bugged Room to "refresh" it. But I don't know if HM writes some trash to other parts of the rom if this bug happens.

I don't know the address for changing that twinkle noise, but I think it isn't that hard to trace down that specific address
IntimFuchtler
IntimFuchtler

Since : 2016-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Sat 3 Dec 2016 - 15:47

Thanks, puzzledude usually helps me with the HEX work, but thank you anyway, by the way, i liked your hylian legacy hack, even though i never really had the time to play it.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 19:23

Hi everyone, its been a looooong time sinse anyone has heard from me, because i was so busy with school and my exams and stuff, but im now out for winter break and its time to start ROMhacking again. This is more of a question directed to puzzledude, but which HEX address can be used to change the little twinkle sound effect?
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 11:21

AntROMhacker wrote:Okay, its time for me to get more into depth with the ROM itself, When the logo nintendo presents, and when the twinkle noise plays, how i could change that to something else, im assuming its HEX work.
I suggest looking at the Compendium.

Here the code by Math On Napkins:
--------------------------------
Intro Setup Screen
At address 6415D-6419F, you can change various effects that belong to the intro screen. You can even change the Nintendo "twinkle" sound to something else!
22 00 80 02 A9 0F 85 13 64 B0 E6 15 E6 11 A9 0A 8D 2F 01 20 82 ED A5 B0 E6 B0 C9 0B B0 7A 22 9C 87 00 A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C 16 81 02 31 D2 00 23 D4 00

JSL; $10000 IN ROM
; Push the screen to full brightness next frame
LDA.b #$0F : STA $13

; Initialize the sub-submodule index.
STZ $B0
; Indicates that CGRAM needs to be updated next frame
INC $15
; Move into the next submodule.
INC $11
; Plays the twinkle as the 'Nintendo' logo pops up. (At hex address 6416C)
LDA.b #$0A : STA $012F
sound effects db:
0A = 'Nintendo' logo twinkle
EF = Pickup dungeon key
20 = Moving in the menus
30 = Blob (enemy)
31 = Moldorm (boss)
32 = RedOrb (Bouncy static things)

This basically means you need to go to
6416C
and change the byte 0A (twinkle= pick up rupee) to something else:
the new byte values can be from 00 to FF. Pick one and test what they do and then choose one. MoN suggests EF for instance (pick up small key sound).

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 12:08

Puzzledude wrote:
AntROMhacker wrote:Okay, its time for me to get more into depth with the ROM itself, When the logo nintendo presents, and when the twinkle noise plays, how i could change that to something else, im assuming its HEX work.
I suggest looking at the Compendium.

Here the code by Math On Napkins:
Intro Setup Screen
At address 6415D-6419F, you can change various effects that belong to the intro screen. You can even change the Nintendo "twinkle" sound to something else!
22 00 80 02 A9 0F 85 13 64 B0 E6 15 E6 11 A9 0A 8D 2F 01 20 82 ED A5 B0 E6 B0 C9 0B B0 7A 22 9C 87 00 A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C A0 C1 0C 16 81 02 31 D2 00 23 D4 00

JSL; $10000 IN ROM
; Push the screen to full brightness next frame
LDA.b #$0F : STA $13

; Initialize the sub-submodule index.
STZ $B0
; Indicates that CGRAM needs to be updated next frame
INC $15
; Move into the next submodule.
INC $11
; Plays the twinkle as the 'Nintendo' logo pops up. (At hex address 6416C)
LDA.b #$0A : STA $012F
sound effects db:
0A = 'Nintendo' logo twinkle
EF = Pickup dungeon key
20 = Moving in the menus
30 = Blob (enemy)
31 = Moldorm (boss)
32 = RedOrb (Bouncy static things)

This basically means you need to go to
6416C
and change the byte 0A (twinkle= pick up rupee) to something else:
the new byte values can be from 00 to FF. Pick one and test what they do and then choose one. MoN suggests EF for instance (pick up small key sound).

Ahh, thanks Puzz. I have the compendium but I read little at a time, because there is so much to it, and there's no way I can read it all in one day. Thanks I will try this out!
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 12:16

I just tested a few out. I really like the master sword beam sound effect for the intro screen, it's amazing what a simple hex number can do for a SNES game.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 20:54

Alright, i'm reading the compendium on how to make your magic fill up automatically, i have done everything to what it says, but i am stumped on what this means, Copy this new code at 118000 using a HxD hex editor. The code is 190 long in hex = 400 bytes in dec. Does it mean to copy it to the HEX address 118000, because i tried pasteing it in 118000, and it broke my ROM, good thing i have learned to make MANY backup's when using HEX.
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 20 Dec 2016 - 22:28

AntROMhacker wrote:Alright, i'm reading the compendium on how to make your magic fill up automatically, i have done everything to what it says, but i am stumped on what this means, Copy this new code at 118000 using a HxD hex editor. The code is 190 long in hex = 400 bytes in dec... ...because i tried pasteing it in 118000, and it broke my ROM, good thing i have learned to make MANY backup's when using HEX.

Does it mean to copy it to the HEX address 118000

Yes.

First of all, did you make sure your ROM didn't have a header? If not, everything will of course be in the wrong spots.

Second, are you sure you put the right numbers at 000034? If not, it will point somewhere else and cause negative effects.

Third, make sure when you paste you "paste write" instead of "paste insert", otherwise you'll be changing the file size and if you "paste insert" at 000034 you will DEF destroy your ROM because then all following data will be at the wrong addresses.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Back to top Go down

Post by AntROMhacker Wed 21 Dec 2016 - 0:50

SunGodPortal wrote:
AntROMhacker wrote:Alright, i'm reading the compendium on how to make your magic fill up automatically, i have done everything to what it says, but i am stumped on what this means, Copy this new code at 118000 using a HxD hex editor. The code is 190 long in hex = 400 bytes in dec... ...because i tried pasteing it in 118000, and it broke my ROM, good thing i have learned to make MANY backup's when using HEX.

Does it mean to copy it to the HEX address 118000

Yes.

First of all, did you make sure your ROM didn't have a header? If not, everything will of course be in the wrong spots.

Second, are you sure you put the right numbers at 000034? If not, it will point somewhere else and cause negative effects.

Third, make sure when you paste you "paste write" instead of "paste insert", otherwise you'll be changing the file size and if you "paste insert" at 000034 you will DEF destroy your ROM because then all following data will be at the wrong addresses.
wow, that was so easy once you explained it to me. Thanks!
AntROMhacker
AntROMhacker
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next