Zelda Clones

Go down

Zelda Clones Empty Zelda Clones

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 11 Jul 2017 - 23:52

My laptop started having monitor problems so I decided to detach it and replace it with an old 13" CRT monitor I was lucky enough to still have sitting around. It's no longer convenient for many of the things I previously used it for (like hacking and level design) so I decided that it's new purpose will be to serve as an 8 and 16 bit gaming station. Those old systems look beautiful on it.

I previously did very little emulating apart from testing. I preferred to play on a real CRT TV. Systems I didn't own I largely ignored apart from the Gameboy and GBA. Now, I'm using this old CRT monitor (with a max screen resolution of 800x600! old school!) to catch up on all the old systems I missed out on before like the Sega Master System and the Turbografx 16.

While checking out games on the Master System I came across this one:

Zelda Clones Gfs_47050_2_4Zelda Clones Goldenaxewarrior-6

Golden Axe Warrior. Upon playing, it was SO obvious that they were imitating the first Zelda game. It plays pretty much like a slightly more sophisticated version. So far I'm thinking it might actually be better (nostalgia sold separately). It's really fun. So I'm wondering...

What Zelda clones have you played that were actually pretty good?
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Zelda Clones Image213

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Zelda Clones Empty Re: Zelda Clones

Post by Charmander106 Thu 13 Jul 2017 - 13:18

I haven't played a lot of Zelda Clones but IMO one of the best Zelda Clones I have played is Alundra on the original PlayStation. It's top-down platformer with Gorgeous 2-D sprites and graphics, compelling story and characters, and it has one the most amazing soundtracks I've ever heard! It's even got some really challenging puzzles that really makes you think.

There is also Neutopia I & II on the TurboGrafx-16, didn't finish either but I thoroughly enjoyed them! Gonna include the Darksiders game(s) as well since also a really good Zelda clone.
Charmander106
Charmander106

Zelda Clones Image213

Since : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Tropylium Wed 26 Dec 2018 - 8:01

How far would you take "clone"? A top-down action-adventure like Goof Troop (pot throwing, bomb throwing, block pushing, hookshot sort of, several plain keys / one master key per level) has still a fairly Zelda feel, but is also off enough in many other aspects (no sword, no arrows, no princess, no overworld) that "inspired" would be probably better.
Tropylium
Tropylium
Leever
Leever

Since : 2015-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by lexluthermiester Sat 6 Jul 2019 - 20:52

SunGodPortal wrote:What Zelda clones have you played that were actually pretty good?
Hey there Stargate!

A pair of good Zelda clones were on the TG16/TurboDuo. Neutopia 1 & 2. Excellent in their own right IMHO. Very nostalgic for me as I owned them as soon as they came out. Kinda surprised you never played them before.

Last edited by lexluthermiester on Sat 6 Jul 2019 - 20:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added to comment)

lexluthermiester
Bee
Bee

Since : 2019-07-06

Back to top Go down