Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants

Go down

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Empty Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants

Post by Potentialing Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 12:32

Conn wrote:Hack: Ice rod freezes water
Authors: Potentialing, PuzzleDude, Conn
Information: you get icy water to walk on - works only in 16x16 screens (8-bit need still to be adjusted)
Rom: ALTTP (US), without header
Code Addresses:
pc w/o header ALTTP (US)

03/DCAE 22 80 FC 0E EA JSL to 077C80 (jumps on tiles)
03/dd1b 22 90 fc 0e ea JSL to 077c90 (fix gliding in shallow water)
04/0A5D 22 A0 FB 0E JSL to 07/7ba0 (main code)
07/1566 0E (enables gliding)

07/7bA0 Main code!
07/7d00 Vram transfer

07/7C80 Code to jump on tiles out of water
07/7C90 bug fix to not glide in shallow water

07/85b8 0D 1d load tiles, palette 7 (not important, is loaded in main code)

----------------
default tile at vram 61a0 changed
Screenshots:

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Icerod11

Oh holy crap.. You are outstanding for this, haha. Interesting how you found the routines for jumping in/out of the water too, I totally appreciate it! I'm going to have to look at that code in the disassembly in the near future. Thanks again!
Potentialing
Potentialing

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Image111

Since : 2013-07-05

Back to top Go down

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Empty Freezing water with Icerod ASM

Post by Puzzledude Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 17:48

The effect was implemented in the overworlds only (simply to many unfixable bugs if indoors), and even here you might have a lot of trouble to avoid game paradoxes (this is also described in one of the included files).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Empty Re: Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants

Post by RedScorpion Sat 20 Jul 2013 - 18:22

So great and so cool. Link the Silver surfer!

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Linksurfer

Thanks Conn!
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Image111

Since : 2013-04-28

http://www.snes-projects.de

Back to top Go down

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Empty Freezing water with Icerod ASM

Post by Puzzledude Mon 22 Jul 2013 - 16:10

ICEROD VARIANTS OVERVIEW (by PuzzleDude)

Download (UPS PATCH UPDATE)
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/ovh05jfu47cc1tn/Variants%20of%20Icerod%20ASM%20%28UPS%20patch%20Update%29.zip

Because of Conn's ASM, where you have the ability to freeze water with the Icerod, I was able to make some more variants.

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Icerod10

List:
1 Ground rod
2 Ground rod (lava variant)
3 Shallow water rod
4 Water rock
5 Freeze bushes
6 Broken bridge
7 Lava rock
8 Lava ground

We are dealing with the same code, but the icerod affects different things: from making ground and shallow water, to freeze new objects, such as water rocks, lava rocks and freezing lava ground.

Most recomended (because of zero possibility of bugs and zero possibility for game paradoxes):
Water rock, Freeze bushes, Lava rock, Lava ground.

With these 4 variants almost no bugs or paradoxes are possible, since you affect certain objects only.

If you however freeze all water, you can come to some paradoxes (original icerod effect, ground rod, shallow water rod, broken bridge).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Tue 25 Feb 2014 - 16:31; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Empty Re: Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants

Post by Puzzledude Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 6:56

Dungeons were blocked off, since they react differently. This code is for overworlds only. Conn made a different code (rom) for dungeons. I never thought of it, but if you use the other rom for dungeons and change the type to freeze to 03, it should work. Of course you would have to adopt the indoor gfx tile (I haven't determine which gfx it is) and put the specific tile type to 03 (but this is doable only via hex). The thing is, you would need to find an unused spot in the indoor gfx sets (if you want the effect indoors and outdoors, this should match).

So it is a bit more difficult for dungeons, I guess. But it can be done. (Just dont make it to freeze water in dungeons). But the other rom is needed. I will probably look into this. I think in the other rom for dungeons, the code works indoors and outdoors (have to test this).

EDIT
Found the empty space (but it is not compatible with overworld; so only indoors or only outdoors has to be choosen). Also found out how to change the type using Spane's method. Will test the dungeon version of new object (passable only with iceord).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 14:47; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 23 Jul 2013 - 14:44

I've made an idoor object, which can be frozen by icerod only. But I must say altogether not recomended to use. Reasons are: x and y possitions are much more delicate indoors, since they allowed acurate possitioning (half unit).

So not only you would have to put such an object on even x and y (never on odd one), you would have to carefully wall it into the fence and not use many such objects at once. Overworld is much more stable.

All you need to do is put one object (with 4 tiles) to have all tiles a type 03, using Spane's hex method.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 17:50

Back from vacation... Wink

Wow, that is great, thank you so much Puzz Wink

I added my incomplete dungeon asm and merged this with your "normal deep water freeze" and "variation freeze" to this zip file as well.
I edited and updated my 2nd post in the single hacks collection, so find the complete zip file there!

Rather then hijacking the other thread (meant for single hacks) I'll quote you here.
I absolutely concur with Seph. Could you please delete all messages after my updated one in this thread (all after the 2nd post), to keep it in order and people have a clean list?
I thank for all comments from Potentialing and Red in this thread, but it actually belongs here. maybe you can move the replies here as well (Red's SilverSurfer Link really is just...awesome!!! Smile
Conn
Conn

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 25 Jul 2013 - 19:28

perfect, thank you so much ^^
Conn
Conn

Freezing water with Icerod ASM and Variants Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down