Large MSU-1 Logo

Go down

Large MSU-1 Logo Empty Large MSU-1 Logo

Post by qwertymodo Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 15:10

I don't know if I ever posted this publicly, but awhile back I did a large vector tracing of the MSU-1 logo that I've seen used around (not sure who originally created it...), but I've only seen low-res versions.

Click the image for full-size (PNG):
Large MSU-1 Logo 26mev6Gm

SVG:
Large MSU-1 Logo 26mev6Gm

Last edited by qwertymodo on Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 17:20; edited 2 times in total
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Large MSU-1 Logo Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Large MSU-1 Logo Empty Re: Large MSU-1 Logo

Post by kurrono Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 15:13

Thanks qwertymodo..
kurrono
kurrono

Large MSU-1 Logo Image111

Since : 2015-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 17:18

The curves in the S and U were bothering me, so I went ahead and fixed them, and then went ahead and made an .svg while I was at it. Updated the links in the main post.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Wed 18 Oct 2017 - 20:40

I believe the logo was designed by BMF54123 and intended for his SMW rom hack Super Mario Odissey, but people just took it for general MSU-1 advertising anyway since nothing in the logo design seemed to lock it exclusively to BMF's rom hack.

Kawa's personal wiki-alike website hosts the first and only ever made public logo used in the entire web (except for yours, and from now on thanks to you) =)
Colines
Colines

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Fri 20 Oct 2017 - 16:44

Beautiful, thanks! I'm already putting it to use Very Happy
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShadowRunner Fri 3 Nov 2017 - 16:02

Would anyone know the definitive nomenclature: is it MSU-1 or MSU1? For instance qwerty says MSU-1 but the logo shows just MSU1 ^^;
As far as I know byuu only addresses it as MSU1 too.
TheShadowRunner
TheShadowRunner
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2015-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sat 4 Nov 2017 - 8:18

TheShadowRunner wrote:For instance qwerty says MSU-1 but the logo shows just MSU1 ^^

That's because the logo isn't official, or at least it wasn't endorsed by byuu, but as it was the only visual identity for the MSU-1, it kinda of became official ;D

The MSU-1 nomenclature is a play on GSU-1, the name for the Super FX hardware. Smile

TheShadowRunner wrote:As far as I know byuu only addresses it as MSU1 too.

He is lazy. Laughing
Colines
Colines

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 4 Nov 2017 - 19:38

The non-hyphenated spelling may also stem from his coding style, where none of the coprocessors are hyphenated.

https://gitlab.com/higan/higan/blob/master/higan/sfc/coprocessor/msu1/msu1.hpp
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Rahzadan Sat 31 Mar 2018 - 21:33

I like to wonder, if the SNES CD had come to be, likely it would have used a special chip cart with an msu1-like chip in tandem with the bottom-attached (through the ext port) CD-ROM unit for loading data while the special chip cart provided the extra processing power for the CD unit.
Rahzadan
Rahzadan
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2015-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 31 Mar 2018 - 21:54

You're right, of course (the prototype Nintendo PlayStation is evidence of this). The downside of an expansion port device like that is that it's impossible to DMA directly from the expansion bus to the PPU, the way the MSU-1 does. The original prototype for the MSU-1, called the 21FX (not to be confused with the device made by defparam, that reused the name because byuu really liked it and didn't want it to go to waste) was attached to the expansion bus, and it required all of the DMA transfers to be buffered to WRAM, requiring a bunch of free RAM and also cutting the upload speed in half. For a CD system, that might not have been a real problem because CD drives are so slow, but for the MSU-1, that really reduced the capabilities of the system, necessitating a switch to an on-cart chip.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down