item hex edit suggestions

Go down

item hex edit suggestions Empty item hex edit suggestions

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 11 Nov 2017 - 18:33

i want to edit the cane of byrna where it is not used for invincibility because the magic cape already exists. is its properties an asm?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

item hex edit suggestions Empty Re: item hex edit suggestions

Post by Conn Sat 11 Nov 2017 - 20:28

is its properties an asm?
Is this really a question? What else do you think it might be?

Qwerty recently gave you a link to a documeantation by MoN.

Here you will find this entry in the Zelda_3_RAM.log:
$037B[0x01] -   (Player)

If nonzero, disables Link's ability to receive hits from
   sprites. (But not pits)
So obviously this address is involved making you invincible.
So make a geiger trace with byrna on and walk into spikes. Then search in this trace log where $037b is written to, I find this:

Code:

$08/DC83 A9 01       LDA #$01                A:000D
$08/DC85 8D 7B 03    STA $037B  [$08:037B]   A:0001
So all you have to do is setting a9 01 to a9 00, means
translate snes $08/DC84 to
pc: 04/5C84: 01 -> 00
and you have what you look for.

I recently tell people to keep away from own big Zelda projects if they don't have a staff member who helps with asm related stuff. If you are on your own, and do not know much asm to solve such small things, or cannot retrace what I wrote, I'd suggest looking for another hobby, or teach yourself asm skills with smaller stuff first
Conn
Conn

item hex edit suggestions Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 6:38

What just happened in this topic is like the Talent shows. The first post is like someone who you know will never make it to the second round, because of ...reasons. However the second post is like when Simon hits the golden buzzer (ie the second post is 115 minutes after first, so that means the answer to the question was found in this time or less, and the question was never asked or answered before).

Irronically I actually never understood why Byrna is hurting your opponents, since the ring is your protection. But I guess the Cape is indeed already doing that (protect but not hurt others), so it's a nice combo for Byrna to not protect but hurts ememies).

Is this really a question? What else do you think it might be?
The funny/ philosophical part about this is, that actually the whole game is ASM.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

item hex edit suggestions Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 6:49

*lol, substract the time until I read the message, play to spikes in D6, and writing an elaborate reply how to find it himself. Finding the byte was 10 minutes maybe.

Yes, both items are quite similar, I think they differ in magic depletion (byrna takes less?) and you can go through bumpers with the cape while byrna can destroy enemies. But in the end, one of both items can be truly regarded obsolete, if not altered.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 12 Nov 2017 - 16:29

I tend to see a lot of similar discussions on /r/romhacking with people asking "is it possible to do _____?" and the answer I try to stop myself from repeatedly copy/pasting is "Yes, it's possible, but if you're here and asking that question, that's a pretty good indicator that it isn't going to be possible for you." It's a very... Torvalds-y answer that I'd rather not use for fear of scaring off somebody who might legitimately be able and willing to learn. We all start somewhere, after all (heck, scan through my threads in the Requests section...).

However, that being said, Conn is absolutely right. If you even want to think about starting a project, you need somebody actively attached to that project with a working knowledge of assembly, both writing it and tracing disassembly. There may be a lot of these small, easy to find answers that can be found by asking here and having somebody trace it out for you in their free time, but if you're just taking those answers that are given to you, and not using them to learn and understand the process that went into finding those answers so you can start to do it yourself in the future, then there is very little hope for your project to reach your vision for it. It's very easy to have ideas, it is much more difficult to make them reality. This is a great community with a lot of people who really know their stuff, but the old adage about giving a man a fish vs teaching him to fish is also applicable to the other side of the story. If you keep asking for fish, but never learn how to fish for yourself, you're going to end up hungry.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 1 Dec 2017 - 9:32

One thing I did with the cane of Byrna was adding the magic powder effect. what it can also do over the magic cape is that can be used while in water. the problem, though is that two protection items is excessive. another idea is to make it a hidden item while increase the magic drain on the cape. honestly, i would like to see these two items become different and it is unfortunate that i cannot replace one of them with the nimbus that Conn made. at least the lantern has a hidden ability even when it is not equipped.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down