Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 12:44

I presume chests in boss rooms are too difficult right? what about editing the ether medallion in agahnim's room? is that drop connected to the drop on death mountain or could that be edited to a blue rupee? karkat informed me that the reason that bug occurs is that the game reads there being a pendant/crystal, but i never understood why ether drops. it also happens in the gba port.

anyway i am going to check right now with the mini boss.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 13:08

okay so one complication i encountered is that minibosses will not open the door when killed. ganon's tower must have a special code which is why it is not affected.

anyway lanmolas seems to have no problem when getting the pendant.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 14:41

Conn wrote:@ Puzz, is this what you want?

Code:

;asm to skip boss Heart Container drop, directly drops pendant/crystal

lorom

org $05A078
LDA #$80
STA $0403
NOP

org $05A537
LDA #$80
STA $0403
NOP

org $09EE4f
LDA #$80
STA $0403
NOP

Thank god.
I tested this and it works. I see you used those 3 locations found by Reshaper. Indeed those locations are a sprite drop from bosses.

I guess Wizz got his wish come true.
So here is the no hearcontainer drop from bosses, but still drop pendant/ crystal in hex:
2A079,
EA 22 5D F6 1D --> 80 8D 03 04 EA

2A538,
EA 22 5D F6 1D --> 80 8D 03 04 EA

4EE50,
EA A0 0E 22 5F --> 80 8D 03 04 EA

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 14:56; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 14:50

Now i need to add the mini boss fix because one complication i found with minibosses outside of ganon's tower was no triggered event such as shutter doors opening or chests appearing.
anyway puzz, can you use single entrance locations as dungeon identifications (e.g. the ice rod cave is treated as a remote section in the tower of hera) so that way you can use the mirror warp or will that cause issues? if it does work then would i need to disable the maps?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 14:54

Next thing:
chest in a boss room.
I tested this for original ALTTP and it works, it also saves the opened chest.

However when the no heartcontainer from boss code is in, you can still insert the chest and it works. But if you later return to the boss room, the chest will still be closed and you will obtain the item again, this will result in a NOP though.

But it is adviced to never put any chests in a boss room. No Zelda does this, as this is what every good dungeon design just doesn't do. You also don't put jars or item under jars in a boss room, no big-block etc etc, since this can cause sprite conflict when boss is blowing up and jars and items will not display correct gfx or not display at all.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:04

Next thing:
Ether medallion drop in Agahnim in second visit.

This is a bug in the code, so it is useless to address this. You just don't go into the Agahnim's dungeon for the second time.

And yet, the drop appears, because every dungeon will drop something. This doesn't happen on first visit, since Agahnim transforms you into the Dark world before his sprite disappears from screen. It is however gone on second visit.

I have also no idea how Ether is dropping, since it should be a pendant, since the dungeon definition is set to light world, so it should not be a crystal.

I don't think this is worth the interest, since there is no need to edit this. Like there is no need to force chests in boss rooms. Those 2 things are not a problem at all.

Will get to minibosses in next post.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:11

the boss chests i presume is too difficult to add so i will go with having shrines so would that be a batter alternative?

anyway karkat informed me the reason there is no drop in ganon's tower is because of a special coding.

that also explains why no items appear in boss rooms. now an unrelated question and this is by no means a request ( i can simply insert the magic refill asm, which i am surprised was never documented as an ips, but sucessfully wrote it in myself) but would the snes version have this conflict where trinexx and kholdstare drop magic bottles like they did in the gba port?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:36

now an unrelated question and this is by no means a request ( i can simply insert the magic refill asm, which i am surprised was never documented as an ips, but sucessfully wrote it in myself) but would the snes version have this conflict where trinexx and kholdstare drop magic bottles like they did in the gba port?
Yes, like said, you can not have items in boss rooms. But they could drop magic bottles as sprites. However this is again ASM and not recomended to do, since these 2 bosses are fine as they are.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:43

Final thing:
How to make minibosses.

1.) First change 1 byte at 10908: change F0 to 80.
This (according to Euclid) allows tag Kill boss again in any room, not just if the definition of dungeon is Agahnim 2.

2.) Put any boss in a room as sprite and fix the sprite gfx blockset and palette.

3.) Implement Conn's no heart from boss code.
(This will prevent the miniboss to drop a heart container, if this is the wish of course).

4.) Set the tag1 or tag2 in Hyrule magic to Kill boss again.
(This will ensure you can play on when the boss is defeated, if this is not set and the boss is a dark world boss, you will not be able to pause/get to menu, untill the going to next HM room to reset, since the game is vaiting for you to pick up the container and go to crystal-gain sequence by default).

5.) Additionally set the SE and similar: Defeat to open.
(This is needed if you want a door to be opened after the boss is defeated).

I tested this out and it all worked. I put Mothula and Armos Knight in the middle of the first dungeon and uppon defeat the door opened and I could normally pause and thus play on normally (while no container from miniboss), which is the definition of a miniboss as oposed to boss.

Without Conn's code the boss still drops hearts though, so the choice is yours (I'm assuming again no heart container drop is in order specially if there are more mini bosses).

Special:
If you want bosses to drop heart container and minibosses to not drop heart containers, than don't implement Conn's no heart containers code, but make the tag Kill boss again, however the dungeon definition must be Agahnim 2. In such a dungeon the heart container will not drop from miniboss if Kill boss again tag is on. Otherwise the bosses in other dungeons will drop it.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:58; edited 2 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 15:48

anyway puzz, can you use single entrance locations as dungeon identifications
Yes, the trick is to reverse it back again (doable in hex only, since HM sets it to FE instead of FF), but this is only if you want to reverse this again.

so that way you can use the mirror warp or will that cause issues?
If you set a definition to any dungeon, the Mirror will work and after you use it, it will put you back to the entrance. The game doesn't see the difference between a cave and a dungeon, it only sees dungeon definition value set to any dungeon or set to None.

if it does work then would i need to disable the maps?
Yes, since if you make a dungeon definition, the X button will bring the map up, and if in a cave, the display will be bugged. So thus maps should be NOP-ed in this case.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 16:53

Okay so one thing I have noticed is that whenever I use HM the boss heart code is disabled until i repatch it.  

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 17:05

anyway puzz i forgot to say thank you. with the new patch i can now make some of the empty rooms more interesting by adding bosses in other rooms instead of the generic rupee room. unfortunately blind will not be possible and wart will be nerfed so one of the "shrines" will need to replicate a miniboss.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 17:05

If you indeed need a chest in a boss room you can adjust the code with a hijack hook (there was too little space in the code I sent):

Code:

; USE ON EXPANDED ROM (1.5 MB)

lorom

org $05A07a
JSL freespace

org $05A539
JSL freespace

org $09EE53
JSL freespace

; freespace at 120000 can be adjusted
org $248000 ; rom address 0x120000
freespace:
lda $0403
ORA #$80
STA $0403
RTL

Corrected patch attached.

Then Wizz wrote a pm, I need to froward to you Puzz:
tested armos knights and lanmolas. pendant drops without a heart. mini bosses outside of ganon's tower however will no longer trigger room events.

Which mini bosses... are they affected by my code?

Last edited by Conn on Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 12:04; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 17:26

Then Wizz wrote a pm, I need to froward to you Puzz:
tested armos knights and lanmolas. pendant drops without a heart. mini bosses outside of ganon's tower however will no longer trigger room events.
Yes, my explanation of minibosses above fixes this.
1.) First change 1 byte at 10908: change F0 to 80.
This (according to Euclid) allows tag Kill boss again in any room, not just if the definition of dungeon is Agahnim 2.

If you edit this byte and then use the tag= Kill boss again and also for instance SE (southeast) defeat all to open, then this means if you defeat a boss the door will open.

Which basically means Minibosses work normally for me with or without your heartpiece code. If you insert your code it just means that the minibosses will also not drop containers, which they will, if the dungeon is not Agahnim 2.

For instance I tested this: Mothula boss in a room of Eastern Palace before the actual boss and your code for no containers and Euclid's one byte fix at 10908, plus the tag Kill boss again, plus a tag SW defeat to open. This then results into this: defeat Mothula, no heart from him, door opens after he is defeated and later you can pause normally (so you know tag Kill boss again works).

You can see in Goddess of Wisdom I didn't know this, so when you defeat the Miniboss= big Eye, you can not pause (since I didn't bring in the tag Kill boss again and Euclid's one byte fix).

So like said, minibosses work for me.

The only problem which can occur is how to make bosses drop heart containers and minibosses not, since usually both drop hearts or with your code both don't.

But this is also doable. If default is bosses drop hearts, you can use the dungeon definition Agahnim 2 and the tag Kill boss again will mean: can pause normally and don't drop hear piece, like it is in original game (you can see this in Hylian Legacy and it works).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 18:03

Thanks, for this explanation Smile
So Wizz, follow Puzz explanation some posts above (step 1: press ctrl+g in a hex editor and search 0x10908, here change f0 to 80)
Then apply my patch (v2 posted above).
I noticed that the noHC code is also executed at the minibosses in Ganon's Tower, the Moldorm, which will leave a chest - it might be thus wiser to use the other asm I posted that implements free space. But if not, you need to kill him again to let the chest appear again, right Puzz?

Anyways, I do not understand what the problem with minibosses is, and what minibosses are? I played through complete Ganon's Tower, killing Armos Knights, Lamnolas and Moldorm and the room open trigger worked.
If you want the minibosses to drop heart containers, it might be good to put them in a reward chest on miniboss defeated and use the other asm that uses free rom space (so that you cannot collect HC again and again).

To implement it you need to use xkas, as I cannot give you an ips without knowing your rom (where you have free space left if you expanded it to how many MB and such).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 18:47

That pm i sent you conn was before puzz sent me the instructions. anyway the issue i was having was probably a result of the wrong door.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 19:05

I noticed that the noHC code is also executed at the minibosses in Ganon's Tower, the Moldorm, which will leave a chest - it might be thus wiser to use the other asm I posted that implements free space. But if not, you need to kill him again to let the chest appear again, right Puzz?
If SRM did not save the collected chest, it just means it will appear again, but I don't think this will happen, since this chest is tag based and is not a boss room and thus no pendant collect is saved to interfere with chest-open saving. And I tested with Mothula and appearing chest in test rom and after getting there again, the chest was opened, and boss did not respawn. So no problems on my end.

anyway the issue i was having was probably a result of the wrong door.
This is usually the case, and not just that. If you put more than 4 complex doors into one room, you will walk through the shutter door for instance, as seen in some rooms in PW.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 17 Mar 2018 - 21:24

i suspect the reason it was more difficult to implement a loose pendant/crystal in the next room is that the boss room is really one quadrant of the main room. in zelda 1 and the 8 bit hand held games, they are single rooms. also zelda1 has a one loose item per room so z3 is probably coded the same way which is why you cannot have more than 1 key in the same room. loose items that are commonly dropped by enemies are a different situation. anyway this was not a walk through shutter door.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 9:13

Conn, when I fought Trinexx, the rom blacks out and crashes.  I think I found a bug from the patch. Kholdstare also freezes and "Vitreous" drops a large magic bottle that cannot be grabbed (but this does not seem to be a minor issue).

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 9:57

The first version I posted bugged, did you try with the second version I posted above or the first version?

Correct patch:
noHC_v2.zip
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 10:11

It was the second version.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 10:17

Blind also causes the game to freeze. the other bosses seem like they are fine but i have not tested helmasaur king with the new patch and Wart/Arrghus was without the fuzz, but the latter should not make a difference because the Trinexx mini-boss with only the main head still triggered the crash.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 12:02

Here's the culprit:

Code:

lorom

org $05A078
LDA #$80
STA $0403
NOP

org $05A537
LDA #$80
STA $0403
NOP

org $09EE4f
LDA #$80
STA $0403
LDY #$0E
NOP   ; FORGOTTEN IN FIRST VERSION
Bottom second last line still needs the LDY #$0E

I only tested Trinexx, he at least works now. You need to test blind, Vitreous and so on as well yourself, if this fixes those as well.
Attachments
Wizzrobemaster's Burning Questions - Page 2 Attachment
noHC_v3.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(1 Kb) Downloaded 7 times
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 13:16

It looks good so far Conn. Thanks for fixing the issue. Lol to "Here's the culprit:"

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 24 Mar 2018 - 14:00

Great to hear, I hope it serves your wishes now Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next