Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks

Go down

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Empty Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks

Post by Warlock Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 2:00

Hey all.  I'm looking to do a somewhat simple (well, simple scale-wise) hack to the race game and was looking for some advice on how to go about it.  

Here's what I want to do:

• Change the time allowed to gain the item from race game.  If this isn't possible I can probably just edit the maze layout to accomplish the same goal but it'd be more fun for it to be a surprise.
  • Some kind of fix for the "anti-cheat" dialog box for talking to the NPC without entering the screen from the house (i.e. if you mirror from digging game).  I was messing around with map layouts in Hyrule Magic and noticed if you're allowed to mirror too close to this guy you'll be stuck in an infinite loop of dialog boxes that you can't get out of without a save & quit.  This really sucks and I'd like to fix it if possible.

I assume the check itself can't be disabled because I've heard it's used for other things like the Witch Hut, etc.  I think ideally I'd like to fix it so this dialog would only appear once and thus not trap you, though I'm not sure that is even possible.  An alternative solution might be to eliminate the dialog box entirely which would probably fix the infinite loop problem (though still it would be fun to keep it and write something funny in there if possible.. maybe if the dialog was triggered a different way?).  

So does anyone have any ideas for any of these things?  I don't really have any experience hacking the game but if it just involves hex editing I can easily accomplish that I'm sure.  Disassembly stuff I would need to learn if that's required I guess.
Warlock
Warlock
Bee
Bee

Since : 2018-04-17

Back to top Go down

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Empty Re: Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks

Post by Conn Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 14:51

Here
$0D/CCCB AF 04 FE 7F LDA $7FFE04[$7F:FE04]   A:CC00
$0D/CCCF C9 10       CMP #$10                A:CC09

So $10=16 seconds is the border at which you lost.

If you change
0x6CCD0: 10 is thus the time you have in hex
The timer itself is stored at $7FFE04 (cheat) so you can check if your changes took effect.

As for the second problem I can't help.
Conn
Conn

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Empty Re: Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks

Post by Warlock Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 14:53

Awesome, well that's one thing at least Smile Thank you Smile
Warlock
Warlock
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 16:08

I think an easy hm solution will do problem #2. Just place a tree there so you can't mirror to the light world?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlock Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 16:12

Conn wrote:I think an easy hm solution will do problem #2. Just place a tree there so you can't mirror to the light world?

Well, to be honest for what I'm planning I want you to be able to mirror there Smile I may end up having to just disable the text box. I have a feeling that would solve the problem. Not quite sure how to do that though - if removing the text would disable it or just print a blank textbox Razz
Warlock
Warlock
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 18 Apr 2018 - 16:59

Not sure what you're exactly up to but I guess this then will require deeper asm. Empty textbox... unsure this will do the trick.

Much luck Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by zarby89 Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 16:34

you could probably just change the npc to give you the item (if there's one) instead of having it behind
also you could probably change npc state to not show any message if timer is not on

it would probably require asm changes but nothing that complicated to do

another way with only hex change would be to replace
"JSL Sprite_ShowMessageFromPlayerContact"
by a
"JSL Sprite_ShowSolicitedMessageIfPlayerFacing"
so you'd have to press A to get the cheating message

replace :
6CC29 : F0 E1 05
by
6CC29 : A7 E1 05
zarby89
zarby89

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Image111

Since : 2016-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlock Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 16:41

Ohh, that last one might be perfect. Though I assume this would effect his dialog during a normal race too. That's probably ok since I don't know of a better way to fix the problem.
Warlock
Warlock
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by zarby89 Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 22:19

it doesn't affect the normal race dialogue Wink
it only affect the cheating message
the way they coded it it will show the cheating message only if the timer is not active so it should not affect anything else Smile
zarby89
zarby89

Questions about Possible Race Game Hacks Image111

Since : 2016-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Warlock Thu 19 Apr 2018 - 23:08

Oh wow, that's actually perfect then!
Warlock
Warlock
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down