Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!!

Go down

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Empty Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!!

Post by Erockbrox Thu 15 Aug 2013 - 3:59

This is a dream that I've had since 2008 too! Back then I was curious to know what would ride on a conveyer belt and what wouldn't.

It turns out that pegswitches, that crystal switch which when hit makes the orange/blue pegs go up and down does NOT ride/move on conveyer belts Sad

This was a HUGE disappointment to me, but if a crystal switch could ride and move around on a conveyer belt then OMG. This could produce tons and tons of awesome ideas regarding moveable pegswitches!!!!

The same idea can be applied to lanterns as well! Currently lanterns do NOT ride and move on conveyer belts, but if they did OMG!!! There would be tons of puzzle ideas that would open up because then you could have a movable lantern that you could possibly try and hit with the fire rod an order to solve puzzles!!!

And I'm sure many other things could be made to ride conveyer belts too. Maybe like a solid block or maybe even the orange and blue pegs themselves!

This really really needs to be looked into as it opens up tons of possibilities and can really change this game in new and exciting ways!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Empty Re: Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!!

Post by Puzzledude Thu 15 Aug 2013 - 6:23

I don't think you can make a lightable lantern to move on a conveyer belt. These lanterns are special objects, like pushable blocks. The only thing that reacts are sprites (and I also think items). So you can only hope for the Pegswitch, using the same code as the rubber obstacle, which also doesn't move by nature, but can move on a the belt.

You have many new ideas, but only some of them are doable. For instance using a hookshot on a moving sprite (wall-bubble) also wont go (since you need a special type of fixed object to be able to grapple, and I don't think you can assign such types to sprites. Using sprites as objects is possible, but the type will be autoassigned to solid acording to SePH's sprite evolving areas). But let's hope we will see Link with the Morning star weapon someday.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Empty Re: Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!!

Post by Erockbrox Thu 15 Aug 2013 - 13:58

^thanks for the info Puzzledude.

I know that the lanterns are special objects and I was pretty sure that they wouldn't work on conveyer belts. So this makes me think, hmmm.

Why not make a custom sprite that is a lantern? Or turn the lantern into a sprite so that it has more flexibility!

But if the lantern were a sprite then how would other lanterns who if all of them were lit to reveal a chest or something?

And I think its really important that the pegswitch be able to ride a conveyer belt because it opens up tons of new ideas!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by MathOnNapkins Thu 15 Aug 2013 - 19:38

The most basic reason a sprite wouldn't interact with conveyor belts would be from not calling Sprite_CheckTileCollision or Sprite_CheckTileCollisionLong (see my disassembly). You or anyone else could certainly hack it into the crystal switches by editing its code to call that routine. You wouldn't necessarily have to react to the collision, the subroutine applies the conveyor belt adjustment automatically. The crystal switch code is at $338D0 rom addr ($06:B8D0 cpu addr). I can't, of course, guarantee that this wouldn't introduce bugs or funny looking behavior. I don't know what would happen if a crystal switch went off the edge of a conveyor belt into a pit. It might just float there in space, I dunno.

Last edited by MathOnNapkins on Thu 15 Aug 2013 - 19:39; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : typo part deux)

MathOnNapkins

Make many things ride-able on conveyer belts! Holy crap!! Image111

Since : 2013-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Fri 16 Aug 2013 - 3:00

If a crystal peg switch fell off the edge of a conveyor belt and into a pit the whole universe would come to an end!!! @_@

Thanks Math
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down