Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge

Zeldix :: General :: News

Go down

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge Empty Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge

Post by Polargames Tue 21 May 2019 - 23:12

Hello everyone, If you enjoy playing Gradius III with the  SA-1 hack added to it in regular rom form, but your do not have a sd2snes. Well if your good at soldering or just want to see how it is done, Here is a video for you. I hope you like it. Very Happy

If you want to skip the intro, the time stamp is 2:01 :-)
Polargames
Polargames

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge Empty Re: Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge

Post by qwertymodo Sun 2 Jun 2019 - 3:07

I have a few of these in the mail, should be here Monday.  Good times ahead...

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge D7CuabAUwAAnHSb
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 4 Jun 2019 - 4:10

I saw the video. It's like the guy didn't trust the SA-1 on the SD2SNES or something. I think using the flash cart to play the SA-1 enhancement is just fine as I'm sure its most likely 98% accurate.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 4 Jun 2019 - 17:19

@qwertymodo, That is awesome to hear. if you do not mind, can I ask how it went for you and how well does the snes handle it? @Erockbrox I do agree with you on the sd2snes flash cart, for me I would use that because it does well for games. I would try to get the most out of it for the price that sd2snes flash cart is.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 19 Aug 2019 - 15:45

Never got around to showing this one off here, but this is my final Gradius III SA-1 cart.  The 29F1610 SOP footprint is *almost* pin-compatible with the original SA-1 MaskROM.

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge D_T5v35U8AAHEb-?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

The only giveaway that it isn't a stock cart is a single cut trace and jumper wire on the back side of the PCB

Gradius III SA-1 Cartridge D_T-YpUU4AArnUi?format=jpg&name=900x900
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Mon 19 Aug 2019 - 23:16

@qwertymodo, This is awesome, really like how the cleant the cart is. I honestly would never guess that's its a repro pcb if you did not say about the cut trace and jumper wire. Have you thought about the battery placeholder, the youtube channel that has posted this have another video where the guy solder the battery and the install a clamp like holder on the pcb and then re-solder it. It makes having to change a battery easy and non invasive. How does it look in the game shell? Could one be fooled that it was a untouched game?
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 19 Aug 2019 - 23:22

I hate the battery holders, they don't look very good, and for a battery that will get replaced at most once more in my lifetime, it isn't worth the extra cost and the risk of the battery jarring free at some point. I spent weeks tracking down a battery with welded tabs that exactly match the originals, and I much prefer that option. Replacing a soldered battery takes like 2 minutes, there's really no upside to me.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 20 Aug 2019 - 21:46

@qwertymodo, I did not know that you disliked them. I understand why, I honestly never replaced a battery for a game. Although I have a copy of Zelda for the NES that I should replace. It's starting to bronze up and I had read that its a early sign of battery failed.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down