NES game rust?

Go down

NES game rust? Empty NES game rust?

Post by Polargames Fri 21 Jun 2019 - 21:07

Hello everyone,

I have a old NES game, the title is The Legend of Zelda. I had open the cart to do a proper cleaning of the pins of the cart. Where I saw on the top part of the game pins there was some rust. Now it does not affect game play at all, but I would like to try to clean it up because I do not want it to wreck the game at all. What could I use to get the rust off? I do not have any clue what to use. Thank you
Polargames
Polargames

NES game rust? Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

NES game rust? Empty Re: NES game rust?

Post by sinistra Sat 22 Jun 2019 - 5:26

You could try Isopropyl Alcohol 70% and cotton tips,
There are also many tutorials found on youtube using this method.

But be carefull when handeling the electronics, you must be in an ESD safe environment, ESD can cause greater damage to the electronics components than the rust.

Even touching the cartridge PIN's while statically charged can cause an electrostatic discharge trough the electronics which could damage the chips inside.
sinistra
sinistra
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2018-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 23 Jun 2019 - 13:24

I've heard of people using steel wool to help with rust by scrubbing at it.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

NES game rust? Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Mon 24 Jun 2019 - 22:18

@sinistra, I do what to thank you for your suggestion, but I already use 70% Isopropyl Alcohol and cotton tips. I use that for all of mine games. But I will check youtube for sure. Oh and I do also use ESD protection also. :-) Thank you for your helpful post :-D.

@Erockbrox, um, I did not know that you could use steel wool on a nes game. I may give it a shot, but some of the rust is on the brass pins and would the wool damage said pins? This is my first game that ever had rust.
Polargames
Polargames

NES game rust? Image112

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Tue 25 Jun 2019 - 9:24

Polargames wrote:@Erockbrox, um, I did not know that you could use steel wool on a nes game. I may give it a shot, but some of the rust is on the brass pins and would the wool damage said pins? This is my first game that ever had rust.

There are different grades of steel wool, ranging from ultra fine to coarse. There should be one somewhere in between that is not too abrasive for brass.
Relikk
Relikk

NES game rust? Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Wed 26 Jun 2019 - 2:03

@Relikk, I did not know that, thank you for letting me know that. The next time I get to the store I will pick some up and give it a shot. I will let you know my progress with it also. Thanks again :-)
Polargames
Polargames

NES game rust? Image112

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 27 Jun 2019 - 20:58

@ToAll, I want to say thank you for all of your suggestions. I am happy to say that I got the rust off and the game plays right as you start it up. So thank you again :-D.
Polargames
Polargames

NES game rust? Image112

Back to top Go down