Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room

Go down

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Empty Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room

Post by Jeimuzu Wed 17 Jul 2019 - 19:16

So I'm currently building what is essentially a Light World version of Turtle Rock, and I ran into some major road blocks that makes me wonder if there's some hard coding at play.

My first issue involves the Red Cane tracks in rooms 121 and 106.  When I began to test the tracks in room 121, I couldn't get the Red Cane to spawn a platform.  It would just spawn a red block.

My second issue involves the pipes in room 192.  If I insert so much as one directional sprite, the game freezes upon entering that room.

So hopefully I overlooked some things, but I'm worried that the pipes and tracks only work in they're designated rooms.  I'm mainly worried about my pipe room because I've seen the tracks used in other hacks.

Finally, I wanted to discuss something I'm curious about.  Just beyond a set of tiles used for the Turtle Rock dungeon entrance, there's enough blank tiles for 16 gfx blocks.  I was wondering if these tiles are fair game, or if they would corrupt the rom when recompressed if I were to make use of them? I tested it myself by moving a set of graphics to that region, and used the graphic schemes editor in Hyrule Magic to point them to a blockset, and it worked fine. I just want to make sure it's safe.

Here's an image of a representation I threw together:

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Yy-chr10
Jeimuzu
Jeimuzu

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Image213

Since : 2015-10-01

Back to top Go down

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Empty Re: Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room

Post by Floki Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 5:35

The problem with tracks not working in other rooms is that not all dungeon blocksets use the same block types. Take room 198 as an exemple, examine one of the line track tiles:

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Image2

in the blockset 13, the block 338 is of type 176, but if you change the blockset to 12 instead:

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Image4

the block type is set to 2... so even if you change the graphics in there, if you want to have tracks with other tilesets then 13, then you'd have to edit those dungeon tilesets blocktypes in hex, but its a lot complex because that part isn't documented.... aside a note from Spane how to search those dungeon blocks types within those dungeon tilesets in hex...that note must be somewhere in zeldix... :-)

About the pipes freezing upon entering the room, I've had similar issues. No idea if the ones I added in Lyra Islands ages ago worked or if the ones dudeman added in Dark Prophecy worked, never played much with that one...

Also, I've used all of the expended gfx space in that dark empty section in my conker hack with no issues, just extract my graphics bin and see for yourself! And as you guessed it, you can use the graphics schemes to reorganize your tilesets to use those but its best to always do a backup before re-insertion anyway in case zcompress screws up :-P

Floki

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room Empty Re: Issues w/ Pipe Room & Red Cane Track Room

Post by Devan2002 Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 11:24

As a person who plays with EG (Exploration Glitch), I think the game freezes because the dungeon ID is not Turtle Rock. I've accidentally EG'd to the 2 rooms in vanilla where the pipes are and they freeze. However, when I'm using out of bounds cheats while my entrance is from TR, they don't freeze the game. It's weird. Although I feel like there's a better explanation for why the freezing occurs.
Devan2002
Devan2002

Since : 2017-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeimuzu Wed 14 Aug 2019 - 23:15

Thanks for the replies folks!

The problem with tracks not working in other rooms is that not all dungeon blocksets use the same block types.
I tested the tracks after switching to blockset 13, and sure enough; it worked!  Although, when I try to get off the platforms; they want to continue going a little further off the tracks before ultimately stopping.  I'm sure I can fix this with some trial and error though.

As a person who plays with EG (Exploration Glitch), I think the game freezes because the dungeon ID is not Turtle Rock. I've accidentally EG'd to the 2 rooms in vanilla where the pipes are and they freeze. However, when I'm using out of bounds cheats while my entrance is from TR, they don't freeze the game. It's weird. Although I feel like there's a better explanation for why the freezing occurs.
I tested the pipes after switching the entrance to Turtle Rock, but no dice.  I'll look into some other approaches I have in mind.  You've given me some ideas.

Also, I've used all of the expended gfx space in that dark empty section in my conker hack with no issues, just extract my graphics bin and see for yourself! And as you guessed it, you can use the graphics schemes to reorganize your tilesets to use those but its best to always do a backup before re-insertion anyway in case zcompress screws up :-P
Right, I'm paranoid so I backup frequently.  Comes from experience as well as learning the hard way with a particular editor.  This is great news though.
Jeimuzu
Jeimuzu

Since : 2015-10-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan2002 Thu 15 Aug 2019 - 12:31

Jeimuzu wrote:I tested the tracks after switching to blockset 13, and sure enough; it worked!.
As I figured, Turtle Rock only didn't freeze it because every dungeon's room from there was blockset 13, something that no other room outside of Turtle Rock use. Not even the caves use it. It would explain a lot.
Devan2002
Devan2002

Since : 2017-10-30

Back to top Go down