Changes to Sahasrahla Event

Go down

Changes to Sahasrahla Event Empty Changes to Sahasrahla Event

Post by PowerPanda Wed 6 Nov 2019 - 12:31

Hello. This is my first post on Zeldix, but I am not new to the romhacking community. I've worked before on Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy VI, and Megaman X.

I'm working on a side project which is I'm sure not unique in any way to this community. I'm just trying to remove the linearity from chunks of A Link to the Past. MOST of this can be done through tile editing. For example, changing the grey stone blocking Zora's domain into a stone that you dash into. I'm modeling many of my edits after Eyeballkid's "Hyrule Explorer", but making a few aesthetic changes. I'm also using the DX version as a rom base. Other changes include the GBA Ice Palace layout, and making the Ice Rod, Cane of Byrna, and Magic Cape into dungeon items, swapping their locations with the Blue Tunic, Mirror Shield, and Red Tunic, respectively (and creating necessary barriers so you can't just walk up and get them).

The "gate" for the 3 pendants section of the game is going to be the Pegasus Boots, which I would like you to still get from Sahasrahla for storyline purposes. In other words, as soon as you get the Pegasus Boots, you can:
1. Get the Zora Flippers
2. Enter the East Palace (barrier added)
3. Get the Book of Mudora and enter the Desert Palace
4. Access Death Mountain and the Tower of Hera

So, to get to my question: I would like Sahasrahla to give you the Pegasus Boots as soon as you talk to him. In other words, I want to combine monologues 51, 56, and 57 into one monologue. As soon as you agree to help him, he gives you the history and the Pegasus Boots without requiring you to beat the Eastern Palace. (Side Note: I would also like to place Sahasrahla in Kakariko Village.) I haven't seen any breakdown of the event code for this game though. It should be a fairly quick one-byte hex edit. Does anyone know how or where to make that edit?

I should note that with my previous experience, I know my way around xkas, hex editors, etc. I'm not terribly good at writing ASM, but I can in a pinch.
PowerPanda
PowerPanda

Changes to Sahasrahla Event Image213

Since : 2019-11-05

Back to top Go down

Changes to Sahasrahla Event Empty Re: Changes to Sahasrahla Event

Post by PowerPanda Sun 10 Nov 2019 - 14:52

I found out that the trigger for Sahasrahla's "After East Palace" monologue is actually whether you have the Pegasus Boots or not. So if you have the boots, he'll skip over the monologue entirely. My solution was to put the boots in a chest right next to him, and modify his monologue so he goes into the history of Hyrule the first time you meet him. Since the boots are required to get into Eastern Palace now, this dummies out his second monologue. So... problem solved?

Second question: I'd like to move Sahasrahla to dungeon room 0D (the empty house next to his wife). I placed a new sprite there, but it ended up being a garbled mess, and I had no way to designate the sprite as "this uses Sahasrahla's monologues". I'm assuming some hex editing will be involved. Any pointers?
PowerPanda
PowerPanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 14:13

I would like Sahasrahla to give you the Pegasus Boots as soon as you talk to him.
This needs ASM and can be done by changing the Pegasus Shoes into something else, which you have by default.

My solution was to put the boots in a chest right next to him
Even better.

this dummies out his second monologue.
Not really. After you obtain the Pegasus shoes in the chest, Sahasrahla will say the other monologue. You just need to edit both monologues to say the same thing.

Side Note: I would also like to place Sahasrahla in Kakariko Village.
Easy doable, wither either entrance manipulation or actually bringing the sprite to another room.

I'd like to move Sahasrahla to dungeon room 0D (the empty house next to his wife). I placed a new sprite there, but it ended up being a garbled mess
That's because you need to change the Sprite BLK number to be loaded to what Sahasrahla is using. And it is entrance 0D, the room is actually 242.

and I had no way to designate the sprite as "this uses Sahasrahla's monologues".
This is problematic. Sahasrahla's sprite is "Mutant", which means the same sprite will actually load different GFX and monologues in different room (due to sprite limitation). Because of this limitation, you are limited on where Sahasrahla will actually appear as him, and where he will be another sprite. This is based on room ID. So it might not be possible to put this sprite to certain rooms, depending of what the limit is. Might be like so: if room is bellow 255 then load different sprite. But I beleive it is room specific - in this case Sahasrahla's sprite might not be able to move to any other room but the original and thus the entrance needs to be moved to the Village.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by PowerPanda Tue 12 Nov 2019 - 22:24

Thanks again, Puzzledude. I discarded the header for room 242, and pointed it instead to 261. That did the trick for the sprite, but messed up the walls (as was expected). I think I found a way forward, by pointing room 261 to 282's header, thus freeing up a brand new header for 242. Since there are no longer any sprites in 261, that doesn't affect anything. I still have to fully test it though.

I ran into a stroke of luck with the Sprite. You know how the Medallion Tablets default to Bombos unless there's a screen 3 override to make it Ether? Turns out, the Sahasrahla Sprite is the same. It defaults to Sahasrahla's monologue unless you're on the specific screen where that sprite is Aginah.

EDIT: It worked! Case closed.
PowerPanda
PowerPanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 13 Nov 2019 - 15:53

EDIT: It worked! Case closed.
Smile

You can get more resources and info here:
https://discordapp.com/invite/hJWu9KK