Is connecting entrances possible?

Go down

Is connecting entrances possible? Empty Is connecting entrances possible?

Post by Terr Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 17:30

I'm using HM, and I'm kinda familiar with most parts of it. I have Orochimarus guide, but that's all.

In the default rom, entrances 71 and 72 go to the bottom left and right of room 294 respectively. I changed the layout, and added doors to connect one to the other.
Is connecting entrances possible? Dungeo11
Is connecting entrances possible? Overwo11

My problem is whenever I exit, it's always from the entrance I used to enter. Is there a certain door I can use to accomplish coming out of the other entrance?

Is there a guide showing what situation/setup each door type is for? There's so many.

I'm fairly green in hacking skill, I've only used HM, but I understand HEX concepts, I'm just not that experienced in HEX editing. I've had this project for a few years, and moving forward from the overworld overhaul, I realize I need the help of those more skilled than I.
Terr
Terr
Newcomer

Since : 2019-12-08

Back to top Go down

Is connecting entrances possible? Empty Re: Is connecting entrances possible?

Post by Puzzledude Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 18:50

My problem is whenever I exit, it's always from the entrance I used to enter. Is there a certain door I can use to accomplish coming out of the other entrance?
This is not your fault. Long story short: the game will Not allow what you edited. Entrance 71 and 72 are within the "special" group, meaning they are a yellow dot on the overworld (ie entrance), without a white dot (ie exit), which means this dot is an entrance and also an automated exit. Not only can you not edit this entrance/exit, you also can not edit how high up from the cave/house you'll exit, since the X and Y of the exit are automatically calculated by the code, decreasing something of the vertical value, from where you entered. So in such type of entrances/exits Link will always exit on automatically calculated Y.

This basically means you must not connect the entrance 71 and 72, these are meant as houses/caves in the global room grid above 255, meaning you also must not connect via warp or hole to global room grid from 0-255, otherwise the game will crash. Or in other words, once you enter through 71 into room 294 for instance, you can only connect such a room to rooms 256-295 and also exit where you entered, second exit is not allowed. Same for entrance 72.

If you want to connect two caves it is adviced that they are both leading to a different room, and those 2 rooms are connected. Both entrances must not be automated exits (this is determined by the entrance value, like 71 is also exit, but entrance 21 is not for istance and has a white dot). So thus you need 2 rooms, 2 entrances with correct value, and 2 white dots (exits). Both entrances must lead to 2 rooms, which are in 0-255 global grid. Of course then an amount of such "connection caves" is highly limited, or better said is limited to the amount, that the original game is using.

Is there a guide showing what situation/setup each door type is for? There's so many.
Not really. You usually need to look the door type in the original game to see, which types needs to be selected for thing to work, like type-12 for the correct shutter door etc. You are also limited with SRM, so only 4 "special" doors per HM room (like shutter, key-door etc).

Last edited by Puzzledude on Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 19:01; edited 3 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Is connecting entrances possible? Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 18:54

If you read the Orochimaru's perfect guide to HM, you also might upgrade your reading to the so called Compendium, which is even more detailed and will basically tell you most of the things you need to know, like HM editing, hex editing, asm editing, HUD editing, GFX editing etc.

topic
https://www.zeldix.net/t1281-zelda3-hacking-compendium
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Terr Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 19:16

Thx a million man. It's good to have these resources. I expected as much.

Does this mean I can't use hex editing to correct the graphics for the exit door locations for these rooms?
Terr
Terr
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 21:15

graphics for the exit door locations
Not sure what you mean. If this is the house-door overlay which is drawn once you exit, than you can edit the location (ie X and Y) with HM directly.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Terr Sun 8 Dec 2019 - 21:24

The guide says that the values won't save, and it must be done with hex.
Terr
Terr
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 9 Dec 2019 - 7:42

Terr wrote:The guide says that the values won't save, and it must be done with hex.
Yes, now I know, what you mean. That guide is very old and back in the day those door overlays had to be indeed done in hex (you can still do it like that), but for a while now HM is capable of doing this, where you just select the X and Y of the door.

There is a simpler way, you draw all houses without a closed door and then always select: special exit= none (and then the door overlay will not appear anywhere), while Link exits normally not bumping into closed door. Pragmatic solution.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum