Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't!

Go down

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Empty Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't!

Post by aLucard_ecm Thu 22 Jul 2021 - 14:42

Hey guys! I'd like some help from you, if possible.
I have an SD2SNES purchased on Aliexpress (please still ask for help), and apparently everything was ok. MSU-1 working, all games with special chips working without problems, all running from my Super Nintendo 1Chip (pics).
It turns out, however, that certain MSU-1 games doesn't run the way they should.
Among the tested ones, MegaMan X2 and X3 (onedrive link bellow) worked perfectly, however, the other games doesn't run the MSU-1 songs, including "Zelda: A Link to the Past", that even runs the videos but without MSU-1 audio.
The situation is odd, since by the tests log everything appears to be normal (test log bellow).
Why do Megaman X2 and X3 games play MSU-1 sounds normally and others don't?
As a test, I've got one of the *.PCM files from the Rock N' Roll Racing version (onedrive link bellow), which doesn't start the audios, and replaced one of the the X3 songs. The *.PCM played normally(!).
In other words, all the *.PCMs that didn't start with it's own games are healthy but, for, some reason they don't start in the respective games.
Only these Megaman games (from all tested) triggers the MSU-1 songs propperly.
Has anyone ever come across a similar problem?
I tested at least 5 firmwares available on the SD2SNES website, and had no better luck with firmware v1.11.0 beta 1.
The Flashcard doesn't appear to be having problems, as even the USB port is working (tested via CrowdControl in Super Metroid).
I really need help as I would like to run my MSU-1 games properly.

PS: All the games on the OneDrive's link runs perfectly on Snes9x.

Onedrive Link:
-- link removed, contains ROMs --

Spoiler:
Attachments
Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Attachment
Snes 1Chip-02 Front.jpeg Snes 1chip FrontYou don't have permission to download attachments.(211 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Attachment
Sd2Snes Front.jpeg SD2SNES FrontYou don't have permission to download attachments.(222 Kb) Downloaded 1 times
aLucard_ecm
aLucard_ecm
Newcomer

Since : 2021-07-22

https://www.retrochallenge.com.br

Back to top Go down

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Empty Re: Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't!

Post by aLucard_ecm Thu 22 Jul 2021 - 20:38

Hey guys!! I found the firmware 0.1.7b runs all the MSU-1 Games, but not the newst versions!
Do you know what changed? It's really weird!
aLucard_ecm
aLucard_ecm
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Empty Re: Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't!

Post by Polargames Thu 22 Jul 2021 - 23:07

aLucard_ecm wrote:Hey guys!! I found the firmware 0.1.7b runs all the MSU-1 Games, but not the newst versions!

Hello aLucard-ecm. I think the reason that your MSU-1 games do not work right is due to the fact the sd2snes was bought off of Aliexpress. While Aliexpress is a great place to get cool things for cheaper, you run the risk of the items you buy not being genuine. It seems like you have gotten a knock off sd2snes cart and/or a genuine defected one. Both cases are sadly not really fixable because there is no common point to trouble shoot. A person does not have any way of knowing if high grade parts were used in the making of said cart. It could be that the pcb has an error of some sort. Again a person would not know for sure. There is not more one can do then to buy from the sd2snes website or Authorized store the real thing. With the games working in snes9x emulator with out any issues, its pointing that the cart is the trouble. I hope this helps you out and I am sorry for the bad news also.
Polargames
Polargames

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 13:05

Polar is right, I assume the same. There are piracy sd2snes cartridges out there. If you don't have that from Ikari, we cannot guarantee that the patches we provide run flawlessly
Conn
Conn

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by aLucard_ecm Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 13:33

Polargames wrote:
aLucard_ecm wrote:Hey guys!! I found the firmware 0.1.7b runs all the MSU-1 Games, but not the newst versions!

Hello aLucard-ecm. I think the reason that your MSU-1 games do not work right is due to the fact the sd2snes was bought off of  Aliexpress. While Aliexpress is a great place to get cool things for cheaper, you run the risk of the items you buy not being genuine. It seems like you have gotten a knock off sd2snes cart and/or a genuine defected one. Both cases are sadly not really fixable because there is no common point to trouble shoot. A person does not have any way of knowing if high grade parts were used in the making of said cart. It could be that the pcb has an error of some sort. Again a person would not know for sure. There is not more one can do then to buy from the sd2snes website or Authorized store the real thing. With the games working in snes9x emulator with out any issues, its pointing that the cart is the trouble. I hope this helps you out and I am sorry for the bad news also.

Thanks for the gentle reply!! ^^

Talking to some friends who have the Krikzz's SD2SNES (FXPAK Pro), I belive it's safe to assume that the devs started to implement slighly hardware differences to affect the performance of the "counterfeith" chinese flashcards.
I say "counterfeith" because I always thought it was and entirely open source project, but it seams since FXPAK Pro release (with FPGA upgrade) it's not anymore.
Thanks to that, I belive it not must be a hardware problem from my flashcard, as all MSU-1 games works well with the versions 0.1.7, 0.1.7a and 0.1.7b.
There's something that the dev changed on the firmware (or bootloader) that made the newests firmware parcialy incompatible with the chinese "knockoffs".
I really want to know what changed... this situation is really intriging me.
aLucard_ecm
aLucard_ecm
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by aLucard_ecm Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 13:35

Conn wrote:Polar is right, I assume the same. There are piracy sd2snes cartridges out there. If you don't have that from Ikari, we cannot guarantee that the patches we provide run flawlessly

As I said earlyer... I never thought it was "piracy" because I belived it was an opensource project ^^

Anyway, I still want to figure out what's going on... I intent to use this flashcard while I'm keeping some money to buy the amazing FXPAK Pro Smile
aLucard_ecm
aLucard_ecm
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Fri 23 Jul 2021 - 16:01

The SD2SNES hardware hasn't been open source since Rev. F boards were on sale. That's at least 5+ years ago. All hardware revisions after that have never had their board schematics made public because of the cheaper, lower quality Chinese versions of the Rev. F.
Relikk
Relikk

Strange MSU-1 Problems! Some games play the songs, other games doesn't! Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down