Roc's feather

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roc's feather Empty Roc's feather

Post by Conn Sun 15 Sep 2013 - 21:14

Here's the best I can do to add the roc's feather.

There's a bug I try to fix tomorrow, if you only have one empty bottle and catch a fairy with it, the game breaks... this happens since the animation cannot get completed when the last bottle content is stored to.

but you can already test it. But as said, it's the best I can make out of it:

Version 2: bug fix (dying and last bottle storage fixed)
Version 3: bug fix (screen transition indoors, stairs fixed
Version 4: bug fix (prevent gliding on water)
Version 5: bug fix (prevent boot&sword use while gliding
Version 6: disabled move button press to enable diagonal gliding
Version 7: bugfix on rare stairs
Version 8: 4-tile feather added to bin
Version 9: added swinging bottle gfx to replace the net animation
Version 10: bug fix with catching fairy, storage in correct bottle, improved bottle gfx added

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/feather.zip

The width you can jump (or better glide) can be adjusted. I made it so far as the bomb jump carries you, so that you can renounce on this when having the feather.

Last edited by Conn on Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 11:02; edited 11 times in total
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Roc's feather Empty Re: Roc's feather

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 6:46

Regarding the infinite block move: This block must always be on even x and y, in your case it is not (so the floor will look false). The other thing is, that it needs to be placed in a sealed area (all matching evenly with other blocks). So you need to be very carefull how to place it (otherwise you can bypass walls and similar).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 7:29

I just wanted to tell the same about the block. You need to set it 8 pixels more up or down... so please be careful when creating a room that has those blocks.

Thanks a lot SePH,
fixed both bugs (last bottle and moonwalk after dying); please redownload above file.
Also I was rather unclear in my instruction, sorry for this:
Replace the first hex line (catching net) with the second one (Roc's feather), you apparently wrote both hex lines - therefore you had "catching net R".

Thanks for inserting the feather (you made 4 tiles)... can you or Puzzledude send the bin? I want to update the bin in the zip with feather 4 tiles 16-bit, feather 4 tiles 8 bit.
Also, can you add a bottle rotated 90° to the right, so that the opening is showing to the right (as the net does) to replace the 16-bit net in action.

One further note: I'd leave the roc's feather as default, but surely it must not be a roc feather since you rather glide than jump. It can be the gliding shoes as in OoT, or for PU a soap or (ice-)skates.

Also you should rewrite the message when getting a bottle, that you can catch things with it as in OoT. People who play the first time may wait to acquire the bug-catching net :p

One of the coolest thing is that you are not only able to glide over pits, but somehow you can also glide through enemies Wink that wasn't on purpose, but I find that somewhat cool!
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 8:54

This feature is great. Another new item to test.

I found these problems when testing:
-There is a scroll bug if you glide into the end of the room (usually at the door). When you tuch the edge of the room, while walking, it makes the screen transit. But if you glide into the edge of the indoor room, Link will land outside of the room, going into scrool bug. (This is however ok in the overworld transit!).
-If you glide into the dungeon exit, you will be frozen for a while, when coming out.
-If you glide from shallow to deep water, you will stand on water for a while.

From a debugging perspective, it would be better if Link could walk over an indoor pit for a while with this item (reduces bugs severly). This would be similar to feather shoes in Ocarina of Time.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 11:04

Thanks, I fixed those bugs. Redownload version 3 from first post.

The stairs were somewhat difficult... can you test other "sensible objects" that are indoors? Dunno, stairs to another floor, pits, stairs left/right (only tested up/down), whatever...

Edit: Version 4 to download above already. You were able to glide into water, and stand in deep water. So you were able to glide through a whole sea. Version 4 prevents gliding through shallow and deep water.
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 12:32

This is great. A lot has been debugged.

The only problem I could still find is this: when gliding if you press the speed shoes, it will go into strange slow animation (but it will come out of it eventually).

I'm also wondering if the glide animation can be made so, that it is animated slower and with the "jump" gfx of Link loaded instead of the current "hurting" gfx of Link.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 14:31

ok then, version 5 is posted (boots and sword fix).

I tried hard to give the jmp frame but failed.

For me this is perfect speed (fast). But you can edit everything:
07/7f84: C0
07/7f96: C0
07/7f8d: 40
07/7f9b: 40
decrease the 40 in the same ratio as you increase the c0. E.g., c0 -> E0 and 40 -> 20 will slow the animation by 1/2 or so.

You'll also need to adjust the width you jump then. The measurement I took was the farthest bomb jump.
07/7f60: 11 -> increase, jump farther; decrease: jump shorter.

Any nice gfx for the feather and bottle already?  I want to update the bin in the zip with feather 4 tiles 16-bit, feather 4 tiles 8 bit.
Also, can somebody add a bottle rotated 90° to the right, so that the opening is showing to the right (as the net does) to replace the 16-bit net in action.
I'd also need two pics in action (feather equipped, gliding over pit; catching a fairy with empty bottle) for the single hacks collection post (I'm not that good with zcompress and don't know all the addresses ^^'')
I plan posting it tomorrow in case further bugs show up. You can also think about updating your complete menu hack with this Wink
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 15:03

Conn this is excellent work!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Roc's feather Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 15:29

Thanks... Smile
Just posted version 6. I noticed that when pressing direction buttons while gliding, the sequence shortens and you won't come far. So I disabled it and now you can glide diagonal Wink
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 15:39

Oh wow 4 new versions since last time I checked! Nice job fixing all the bugs, this is happening pretty fast. Is it possible to make it so link doesnt move unless youre holding a directional pad? This isn't that big of a concern just an aesthetic to make it more like the original roc's feather.

To Conn: I think the graphics for the feather are pretty good right now. Not sure yet if this makes more sense as the feather boots though. I'm trying to make graphics as if link is swinging the bottle around but it's a bit difficult to do the diagonal frames, does anyone know an image editing program that lets you turn things on an axis?
scawful
scawful

Roc's feather Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 17:33

and no end in sight... just posted version 7, with a special staircase that didn't work yet:

Roc's feather Feathe10

Unfortunately, I am no expert in movements, and the 3 button fixes were pretty hard. I remember that he jumps on his place in LA when you don't press a direction.
However, the little code had already more bugs than a rotten corpse, please let us stick how it is, since it works ^^ more features always can spoil the code...

Regarding the graphics: Thanks, it was a mock up from the LA feather. It only uses 2 tiles so I was wondering that in Seph's video they were centered (he must have converted it to 4 tiles).

I am however unsure whether I used the correct transparent color and such stuff, so if anybody can look over the bin and add the bottle, it'd be awesome Wink

Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 18:03

Oh alright! Awesome that this is basically complete, I didn't think it was possible especially with how bugged the original code was.

Just like SePH I ended up fixing the transparency and centering it if you'd like an updated bin with the centered versions and fixed transparency here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp7sb8jmlvaoeil/feather.bin

I'm not sure what to do about the bottle as of now, I can't seem to figure out something that looks good. Perhaps SePH or someone can try it if not I can try to contact a friend I know who does this and maybe he can pull it off.
scawful
scawful

Roc's feather Image211

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 18:28

I was updating the bin in above zip file to this 4 tile feather:

Roc's feather Feathe10

1. 8-bit; 2. 16-bit

I do not really know about the animation of the bottle (diagonal?)
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 18:47

ah yes... so we'd need to get a diagonal bottle... do you have any suggestions how to achieve, SePH?
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 18:48

Any nice gfx for the feather and bottle already? I want to update the bin in the zip with feather 4 tiles 16-bit, feather 4 tiles 8 bit.

There you go Conn.

Swing bottle gfx by Puzzledude (anyone can use or further modify this)
http://dl.dropbox.com/s/1ry381juiilqz30/swing%20bottle%20gfx.bin

Of course this is subject to change (but it is not possible to bring the bottle closer to Link on diagonals). It also looks (just) logical when capturing a fairy (so the capturing does not occur to far from the actual bottle swing).
Roc's feather New
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 16 Sep 2013 - 19:00

Wow, that was unexpected fast! Smile

I already added v9 with this gfx in the first post.

If anybody wants, you can make a final bug-test (I can't find any anymore), so let's hope that v9 is final! If some people give green light, I'll hand it over into the single hacks collection Wink

Edit: oh and if anybody can supply 2 screenshots (swinging bottles (maybe at fairies) and gliding over a pit with the large 4-tiles feather in y-box), it would be awesome Smile
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 8:57

While obtaining the screenshots, I found another problem. I don't know why, but the game froze when capturing the fairy (rare event though). I've heard the flute sound while pressing Y.

It seems like the game always stores the content of the bottle to the first emtpy bottle from left to right. So if 1st bottle is full, and you equip the 4th bottle and capture a fairy, the second bottle will be filled. Don't know if this is causing the bug.

It also seems like this bug never occurs if you don't have Shovel in the inventory.

---------------------

Updates

swing bottle gfx2 (bigger beginning of the bottle while facing up, down and left, so it is more compatible with diagonals)

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/lwei17kr3qmphy0/swing%20bottle%20gfx2.bin

screens
Roc's feather Feather1%20png

Roc's feather Feather2%20png

Roc's feather Swing%20bottle%20png
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 9:19

Example of the froze game, while capturing the fairy. I started a new game, the only items I had were 4 bottles, shovel and a flute (and the 24 item menu code).

Roc's feather Rod001
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 11:01

(1) Fixed the bug, this was due where you started from and the time when you obtained the fairy. I made a second security check and tested. Should work 100% now Smile
(2) You now store the fairy (or bee, tested) in the bottle you chose.
(3) updated with your new bin.

Please redownload and check whether everything works now...

Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 12:02

This is great now. I couldn't find any more problems. Very Happy 
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 12:13

Thanks!
Finally. I didn't say it, but all those bugs made me almost vomit ^^

I post it later, together with the srm start. Can anybody test it to ensure I didn't make a failure in writing it?
Conn
Conn

Roc's feather Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 13:18

I didn't say it, but all those bugs made me almost vomit.
Uf. But it is logical, that when doing something brand new, you have to test it (a lot), to see how it is in practice. And usually it is always bugged at first. Well the feather code needed 10 tries. And some special things can still use some testing, like the conveyor belt, to see how the feather reacts on that.

EDIT
Tested on coveyor belt (works), gliding on ice (you can not glide, but everything is ok), tested gliding into a spike (works).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 14:11

I can't manage to find anymore bugs either. I believe it's ready for a single hacks release Very Happy 

All these new items and hacks in the past month have been crazy awesome! You've got serious skills conn I don't think I could ever thank you enough. Regarding the bugs, sorry that there were so many in the original code but I think taking on a brand new item was a bit much for Potentialing lol.
Thanks for the bottle graphics too puzzledude, really proffesional looking.

Can't believe this is finished, super hyped about all the new puzzle opportunities 8) 
scawful
scawful

Roc's feather Image211

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 15:06

Potentialing's code was actually well made. The only problem was, that it was maybe to complex in nature. For that code wanted Link in the air (on different bg), and with jump (in mid air) animation. Both things can not work properly in Z3.

Regarding the bottle gfx. It was just a remodeled net actually, but I did have some problems on diagonals and specially how to bring them closer to Link. It was also quite complex to bring it into the game (disassembled where the game reads it). So I had to draw it separately and then copy paste it by parts on the places, where the game would read it. In version 2, I made the beginning of the bottle bigger (when facing up, left and right) to make it compatible with diagonals.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 17 Sep 2013 - 15:16

Can you see the differences?

assembled version1
Roc's feather New

assembled version2
Roc's feather 1

disassembled into the game's bin (as you see quite scatered and used multiple times mirrored/rotated)
Roc's feather 2
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Roc's feather Image213

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next