Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT

Go down

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Empty Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT

Post by Founder Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 13:09

I just had two awesome ideas!

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Hover_Boots
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Hover_Boots

Since the feather item doesn't make you feel like you're actually jumping, I though about changing the frames (when you jump) into that of Link hovering! Make it load another set of graphics in the rom (a link sprite with a hover animation underneath). I could provide the graphics of course and I'd also change the graphics of the item when you get it and inventory gfx. That would be it for the Hover Boots!

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT 180px-Iron_Boots_%28Twilight_Princess%29
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Boots

About the Iron Boots now. I was reading my Zelda 3 hacking Compendium earlier today and I stumbled on this information by Ghideon Zhi:

Make Link Sink!

$009A - BG blend settings - set to 72 to enable sprite blending on BG2
6A129/0D:A128 - Link's sprite priority (before it gets chunked into RAM) - Change it from $20 to $18 to place him underneath BG2
3D7D8/07: D7D8 - Jump table for handling movement stuff. The pointer at D7E8 ($BCDC) points to the splash-into-water handler. The pointer at D852 ($9DDD) points to the walk-down-stairs handler.

To implement the hack, simply, change the blend settings in a save state, Link's sprite priority in the rom, and the pointer for the splash-into-water handler to the walk-down-stairs handler.

Of course, to implement this stuff in a practical, useful way, you'd have to do a whole lot more, but it's kind of neat to see

Oh, and by the way, the OAM table is stored at $0800 in wram. Fun!

Now in order to add an item you have to replace another one (if it's not an upgrade). So I may consider either using one of medallions code or the lamp in PU (since I don't plan on having dark dungeons afterall).. but other items can also be considered!

Any thoughts, ideas? From what I've seen here this isn't something beyond doable! Of course there's no rush into creating those... I just though I'd share what I had on my mind Razz

Founder

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Empty Re: Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT

Post by Conn Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 13:58

another item?! I'm just creating my 5th or so, the worn-out glove. The hoover boots are a great idea Smile
As for the iron boots... can I take myself out this time? It seems to be a lot asm! Further it would only work in Dungeons that have a transparent water bg2 bg, I think. So what's on OW with this item? The only effect I see is that you can walk below a transludent water layer, and I'm not sure whether this will outweigh the effort... I don't even know whether you can store items and sprites there.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Empty Re: Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT

Post by Founder Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 14:06

Only in the dungeons for the iron boots of course! Maybe another genius could chip in to help with this one Razz

Hover boots shouldn't be too much trouble.

What are those worn out gloves?

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 14:11

The last item to port from AST; you'll only be able to lift one rock per screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=217adzuErEI
Go to minute 1:00 and wait until the first chest is opened.

I'm pretty far, only the menu marker is missing and the PU port.
Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Worn_o10

Can only give the bronce palette (power glove is silver, titan mitt is golden) but I think it fits - the white is somewhat ugly anyways.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 14:15

Wow another item already... could this mean another Lift icon for PU? Wink

Lift1= at start
Lift2= worn out glove
Lift3= gloves1
Lift4= gloves2

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 14:31

jupp, that's the plan :p

you acquire it as the force boomerang/goldenstar by giving a second power glove (item 27 I think) into a chest. The first will be the worn-out, the second the power glove.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Spane Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 15:21

I would prefer the Hover Boots *_*

Spane

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Image213

Since : 2013-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 15:37

Would feel more natural given the fact you don't really jump and it loads the "hurt" animation with the normal feather Razz Of course we'd need to change the jumping sound to something else!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 15:59

I think I was giving all needed locations:

pc 07/7f7e: a9 21 8d 2e 01; reads in asm:
LDA #$21
STA $012E ; store sfx

the 21 is the sfx.

I also gave the addresses of each gfx. Default is feather... but you are professionals how to change it. For PU a soap from modern city instead of gliding shoes may fit (the game is full of strange items :p ).

As for the iron boots I had following idea: making the flippers into diving suit. If you jump in pools on overworld you swim, in dungeons you will sink to ground.
This way you don't need to renounce on any item and swimming in dungeons isn't needed so much (water is used there mainly as barrier).

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 16:20

A soap.. maybe, it's worth considering lol

A diving suit is a good idea though! Would go well with the space suit Wink

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 21:16

Yes, You got the worn out glove!!!!

I was really wanting this because it add just another item to Zelda 3!

By the way if anyone actually wants to see the use of the worn out glove read the following:

Many people may not see the usefulness of the worn out glove. You can only lift one light weight rock per screen, but I have found a great use for this.

In Zelda 3 rocks are often used to separate different areas of the overworld apart from each other until you have completed certain dungeons and have obtained certain upgrades such as the different strengths of the gloves. So here is a way to use the worn out glove!

To make a path available for a player with no gloves don't put any rocks.

To make a path available for a player with the worn out glove only make a rock barrier that is only one rock in depth.

To make a path available for a player with the silver gloves make a rock barrier that is two rocks in depth.

To make a path available for a player with the gold gloves make a rock barrier at least one heavy rock in depth
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 3 Oct 2013 - 21:37

Here let me try and explain it better.

The worn out glove can be used as another way to block off areas of the over-world an order to reveal certain areas of the over-world incrementally.

This path requires no glove at all.

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Zndc

This path requires at least the worn out glove.

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Gciy

This path requires at least the silver gloves. The worn out glove won't work since you can only lift one rock.

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Yi0

This path requires the gold gloves since it is a heavy rock.

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Xaaq
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Implementing the Hover and Iron boots from OOT Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Fri 4 Oct 2013 - 5:26

Regarding the boots - sure you can make link ignore the water but i believe the biggest challenge there is the transition - link jumping into the water.

on the other hand - i like the worn out glove idea! that can add a lot more complexity to the puzzles. Can we also make different glove versions (or some other mysterious object) to push a block more than once in the dungeons?
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 4 Oct 2013 - 7:20

Yes, it serves as limitation for access at a different area. In AST, the dungeon support was not supplied, so I hacked this blindly. Someone needs to test it there (I wasnÄt able to set blocks via HM).

Euclid, that's a great idea. We can couple the unlimited block move to the glove grade you have.

The code which is implemented in PU:

pc $00/d8ed: bf 00 20 7f 29 ff 00 -> ea ea 22 00 fe 0e

pc 07/7e00
Code:

org $0efe00
CMP #$2727     ;check if game wants to store 27  (solid block) we want to prevent
BEQ $0F           ; if yes branch to after first RTL
LDA $7F2000,x ; load block value (e.g., 70, 71, 72...)
STA $7E5000   ; store to intermediate unused ram
LDA $00          ;  set 7f2000,x to 00 00 to indicate that it is moved
STA $7F2000,x
RTL                  
LDA $7E5000 ; branch here if 27 - load intermediate value
STA $7F2000,x  ; store intermediate instead of 27 to make block moveable
RTL      

The code may look a bit strange maybe but it works. I try couple it to the gloves.

Last edited by Conn on Fri 4 Oct 2013 - 11:55; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 4 Oct 2013 - 11:54

Finished and it works:

IPS url: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/moveblock.zip

2 versions inside; one old and one for restriction.

ASM for restriction to power gloves and titan mitt - if you want to have unlimited block move to titan mitt only, make
CMP #$0001       ; compare power gloves - if you only want unlimited to titan only make CMP #$0002 here      

Code:

; This ASM was written by Conn
; This is a ASM FrontEnd Code for Zelda ALTTP (US, no header) to move blocks multiple times.

lorom

org $01d87d
NOP
NOP
JSL $0EFdf0 ; (below the icerod code to not overwrite it)

org $0efdf0
CMP #$2727     ;check if block is already moved
BEQ $0F           ; if yes branch to after first RTL
LDA $7F2000,x ; load block value (e.g., 70, 71, 72...)
STA $7F5000   ; store to intermediate (unused) 7E/D000 is icerod
LDA $00           ; set old block value to 00 to indicate that it is moved
STA $7F2000,x
RTL    
LDA $7EF354       ; load gloves
AND #$00FF              
CMP #$0001       ; compare power gloves - if you only want unlimited to titan only make CMP #$0002 here      
BEQ $0A          ; branch to move unlimited
CMP #$0002       ; compare titan      
BEQ $05          ; branch to move unlimited
LDA #$2727       ; if no gloves or worn-out set the block solid      
BRA $04                
LDA $7f5000    ; If power or titan mitt load intermediate value  
STA $7F2000,x  ; store intermediate instead of 27
RTL        
Conn
Conn