Relikk

Gargoyles (MD+) Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Gargoyles (MD+) :: Comments

Conn

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 6:02 by Conn

Just wanted to ask if anyone is keeping track of the MD patches - I only track snes msu to be honest? I think I only backuped 20 MD games and often enough links get dead... maybe someone wants to do a file list, alphabetical list?

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 6:15 by Relikk

I keep a repository on Archive.org of the completed packs (patched ROMs and audio combined into a 7z archive), and I have a backup of that on my own server. There is a page on the spreadsheet for MD+ stuff, as well, but I haven't updated it in a few months. I'll get around to it eventually.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:30 by P_Sigma

Many thanks to infinest and relikk for this! This game is definitely one of the hidden gems of the system, plus the cartoon was among my favourites ever, growing up in the 90's.

One minor criticism though, is that the music is too loud compared to the sound effects and voices (screams) of the game. I tried to do it myself and lower the overall volume of each track in Adobe Audition, but for every MD+ game I do that, I always get some brief but noticeable white noise effect, the moment a song repeats itself.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 8:40 by Relikk

Yeah, I thought they might be a bit loud, but it also depends on what you're using them with.

The tracks are balanced around the MegaSD's volume output, which is set to 80% by default, and you can compensate for this in RetroArch by setting the CD-DA volume to 65% in Genesis Plus GX's audio settings. Unfortunately I don't have a Mega Everdrive Pro to test with, or if there's even a volume adjustment in the menu somewhere that I can recommend a setting for. It's a pain in the arse with so many differing implementations, but there's nothing that can be done about that, really. Luckily they are easily adjustable WAV files and not something like MSU1 PCM files.

The white noise sounds like a header, or metadata is being added to the files, which isn't ideal. Try stripping that out, or find a setting in Audition that disables that when you're saving the files.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 14:20 by P_Sigma

Thanks again Relikk! Your advice was spot on! There is an option in Audition to the save as screen "include markers and other metadata" which is always enabled. Disabling it, solved the white noise sound on loops I had. I hope this info could be useful for others too.

I've tested the game in Retroarch and my CD-DA volume setting was already lowered to 70%. Lowering the volume of all tracks to -5db was the perfectly balanced spot for me. Altough, I can totally understand the "pain" of considering different settings and setups, when it comes to audio. From my experience though, I've noticed that the more modern official soundtracks tend to be extra loud, so I think that they need to be set lower (volume-wise) than usual.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Wed 14 Feb 2024 - 14:36 by Relikk

I'll do an A-B on them with the original YM soundtrack when I get a chance.

Back to top Go down

Relikk

Post Thu 15 Feb 2024 - 6:14 by Relikk

Audio link updated. Should be better, and done now.

Back to top Go down