Zelda A link between worlds

Go down

Zelda A link between worlds Empty Zelda A link between worlds

Post by Puzzledude Mon 25 Nov 2013 - 16:53

I've just beaten Zelda A link between worlds on 100 percent (all heartpieces, minigames, maiamais etc; haven't yet tried the Hero mode). All together I have to say: despite the A link to the past references, this is one awesome game to play.

I would still say that Nintendo beats us to it regarding the dungeon design. All dungeons in the game are fantastic and intelectual to solve, specially in the dark world, with great inter-floor visual effects. The way you use the main items to solve dungeons or side riddles is incredible. There is also a lot of event based asm in there. The sprites, gfx and the new look are also very well made and cathing (without the actual 3d effect on).

The only drawback is the overworld, which is practically identical to Alttp and the fact, that you rent/buy most of the main items. The Sand rod and the Tornado rod are fine additions, but the game could use some more different items.

However all this does not outweight all the other joys, which you will experience while playing. This game is recomended to play from my part. The game could definitely be better, but all together I would say, that the authors didn't let the good name of a Zelda-game be spoiled.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda A link between worlds Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Zelda A link between worlds Empty Re: Zelda A link between worlds

Post by Conn Mon 25 Nov 2013 - 21:23

I also watched some videos and found the game not so bad as I suspected it first. I only wished the view wasn't directly from top but a bit more diagonal as in Alttp (but maybe this is because I am used to it).

But I agree, it looks great and maybe the puzzles inspires some projects here!

As for the items, there are really no big innovations. The supernet is like byrna and the yellow potion like the cape (I think). Are you able to give a video or pics of the use of yellow/purple potion? Couldn't find that on youtube.
Conn
Conn

Zelda A link between worlds Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 7:23

I'm still working on 100 percent'in the game and I've got to say its a pretty good game. Yeah not having a new overworld is a bit underwhelming but it also felt really nice to explore that same hyrule again in a new adventure, and the layouts of some areas were different so I was surprise at times.

The dungeons were much more puzzle oriented which I liked since I felt challenged by most all of them rather than the last few be too easy because you've already stocked up like in normal Zelda games.

I've only used the gold potion and all it did was make me invincible for as long as my energy gauge could withstand. Made me glow a bit too I think.

It was a really awesome entry in the series I think so yeah id second that recommendation!
scawful
scawful

Zelda A link between worlds Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 9:25

As for the items, there are really no big innovations. The supernet is like byrna and the yellow potion like the cape (I think). Are you able to give a video or pics of the use of yellow/purple potion? Couldn't find that on youtube.

Nothing really spectacular, that would need a visual reference. The yellow potion just make you invincible for a short amount of time, while glowing, similar to when Mario gains a star and becomes invincible. It functions like Byrna. The purple potion makes damage to all surrounding enemies in a second and Link holds his sword up hight. This functions much like the Medallions.

PS
The perspective is quite from the air, I would also rather have it a bit more diagonal. The authors probably had some problems here, since the walls seem unusually tall, so a diagonal would cover the player to much. However in the current perspective everything is almost as watching from the air (birdperspective).

It was a really awesome entry in the series I think so yeah id second that recommendation.

Nice. I've heard that Japan will get the game in december, so it seems like US and Europe are first in line, but the country, where the game was made, comes later?
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 9:44

I see, thanks a lot Smile so the yellow potion is much like the cape/byrna coupled (in alttp there's not much difference either except that byrna also harms enemies). And the effect lasts as long as you have stamina?

The purple potion then is next to the medallions comparable to the great spin maybe, but only can be used one time?

The scoot fruit is the magic mirror in dungeons and the foul fruit like the boomerang? Can you stun with the boomerang as well or what is the difference here?

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 11:36

Puzzledude wrote:PS
The perspective is quite from the air, I would also rather have it a bit more diagonal. The authors probably had some problems here, since the walls seem unusually tall, so a diagonal would cover the player to much. However in the current perspective everything is almost as watching from the air (birdperspective).
Yeah this bothered me when I saw gameplay footage but it wasn't that bad after awhile, I think it looks pretty cool at times.

Also, I've made it through the whole game I think and I'm pretty sure I'm missing two items. I have 3 empty slots but I know one of them is the light arrows, any ideas what I'm missing?[/quote]
Conn wrote:As for the items, there are really no big innovations. The supernet is like byrna and the yellow potion like the cape (I think). Are you able to give a video or pics of the use of yellow/purple potion? Couldn't find that on youtube.
I guess if you really think about it Ravio's bracelet that lets you merge with walls is a new item you know
scawful
scawful

Zelda A link between worlds Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 26 Nov 2013 - 13:14

Also, I've made it through the whole game I think and I'm pretty sure I'm missing two items. I have 3 empty slots but I know one of them is the light arrows, any ideas what I'm missing?

Maximum possible is this (after finding the maiamai snails as well as finishing the Trecherous tower twice on advanced mode!): upgraded lamp, upgraded bow, 5 bottles, upgraded net, upgraded hammer, upgraded fire rod, upgraded bomb, upgraded hookshot, hint glasses, upgraded boomerang, upgraded sand rod, upgraded tornado rod, upgraded ice rod, foul fruit, scoot fruit. This leaves one spot empty, which are the light arrows, but the item can never be saved, since after the credits, the last save is before the final battle.

All the gear is this: Master sword level-3 (this is the 4th sword actually) with the upgraded spin attack (simbolized with a small star in the gear inventory), red mail, hylia shield, bracelet, titan's mitt, pegasus boots, flippers, bee badge, stamina scroll, 3 pendants, 7 sage paintings, 4 master ore pieces, 100 maiamai snails, 28 heart pieces + 10 containers (20 containers in total). Rupees, monster tails, monster horns and monster guts are expandable items/gear.

I see, thanks a lot so the yellow potion is much like the cape/byrna coupled (in alttp there's not much difference either except that byrna also harms enemies). And the effect lasts as long as you have stamina?

Yes, all correct.

The purple potion then is next to the medallions comparable to the great spin maybe, but only can be used one time?

One potion, one use. Link holds up his sword (while standing and doesn't move at all) and all enemies on screen are defeated or take great damage.

The scoot fruit is the magic mirror in dungeons and the foul fruit like the boomerang? Can you stun with the boomerang as well or what is the difference here?

Scoot fruit is like the mirror, yes. The foul fruit is again like a medalion, a sudden attack on all enemies on screen.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 28 Nov 2013 - 10:54

I guess if you really think about it Ravio's bracelet that lets you merge with walls is a new item you know
I also came to the conclusion that this is the only real new item (since the effects of sandrod and tornado rod are already known).

BTW: Is there a desire in your projects to make the lamp hurting enemies being a L2 lamp? I am a bit uncertain in this question:

pros: you can leave the L1 lamp at beginning to solve puzzles since this is a weak item, and burning enemies is maybe a too strong effect?
Contra: in gba the lamp can also hurt enemies from start, and the lamp hurt enemies is maybe a not too strong item: it drains magic and is of short range... Then you'll loose it anyways when getting the firerod (as the upgrade of the lamp to have place for the nimbus). So making 2 versions may complicate things only, requires some asm and the gain is minimal?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 15 Dec 2017 - 12:20

Puzzledude wrote:I've just beaten Zelda A link between worlds on 100 percent (all heartpieces, minigames, maiamais etc; haven't yet tried the Hero mode). All together I have to say: despite the A link to the past references, this is one awesome game to play.

I would still say that Nintendo beats us to it regarding the dungeon design. All dungeons in the game are fantastic and intelectual to solve, specially in the dark world, with great inter-floor visual effects. The way you use the main items to solve dungeons or side riddles is incredible. There is also a lot of event based asm in there. The sprites, gfx and the new look are also very well made and cathing (without the actual 3d effect on).

The only drawback is the overworld, which is practically identical to Alttp and the fact, that you rent/buy most of the main items. The Sand rod and the Tornado rod are fine additions, but the game could use some more different items.

However all this does not outweight all the other joys, which you will experience while playing. This game is recomended to play from my part. The game could definitely be better, but all together I would say, that the authors didn't let the good name of a Zelda-game be spoiled.

although this comment is out-dated, did you manage to become a CuccoMaster?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down