Help with my Hack?

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 Empty Re: Help with my Hack?

Post by Erockbrox Mon 3 Aug 2015 - 7:03

I believe that sprite has something to do with the events. They behave different depending on which events have passed.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 3 Aug 2015 - 8:11

If a hack is already done you may try to ask the author, in this case Euclid is your man Wink
Conn
Conn

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Tue 4 Aug 2015 - 2:56

Alright so I'm gonna put that on hold and focus on the Overworld, which I have an update for.

Click Me to View Map!

Also I was gonna get help about dungeon exits but Hyrule Magic actually did edit the exits, unlike what it said about that in the Compendium. It says that I'm supposed to edit the coordinates in a hex editor at a certain offset, but I could not figure out what the value was  supposed to be. I said screw it I'm gonna use Hyrule Magic and hope it doesn't leave it as the default values. But fortunely the values remain edited without having to go into the hex editor and the open door was placed in the correct spot.

Did the problem get fixed or something, cause I would like to know lol. The page in question is 125 and 126.

Last edited by Charmander106 on Tue 4 Aug 2015 - 6:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix grammer mistakes.)
Charmander106
Charmander106

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 4 Aug 2015 - 14:19

Charmander106 wrote:Alright so I'm gonna put that on hold and focus on the Overworld, which I have an update for.

Click Me to View Map!

Also I was gonna get help about dungeon exits but Hyrule Magic actually did edit the exits, unlike what it said about that in the Compendium. It says that I'm supposed to edit the coordinates in a hex editor at a certain offset, but I could not figure out what the value was  supposed to be. I said screw it I'm gonna use Hyrule Magic and hope it doesn't leave it as the default values. But fortunely the values remain edited without having to go into the hex editor and the open door was placed in the correct spot.

Did the problem get fixed or something, cause I would like to know lol. The page in question is 125 and 126.
Page 126 is obsolete/old. You can fix the special door exits with HM v963. In the "House exit door" (page 125) you can select wooden (usually for houses) or bombable (when there is no white-dot exit/ie the yellow dot is entrance/exit) and with the church exit you have "fency door" (since this is actually the white dot/exit). Then you fix the X and Y scrolls of the door overlay to appear at the specific spot. You usually count the squares, when you press the grid in HM's overworld editor. Approximate coordinates can be set by counting the squares from left to right for X and from up to down for Y, but multiplied by 2, since 1 square are 2 units.

So if your house is at square 10/10, your approximate X and Y are 20. Then you test it out and when you see the overlay you can make the final fix (increasing X means the door will go right, increasing Y means it will go down).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Tue 4 Aug 2015 - 19:29

Yeah that's what I thought, but I'm glad I can do it in Hyrule Magic now! Now is the X scroll bug still present as well?

Also I want to replace the desert area into a lake and turn the forest into something like the haunted wasteland in Ocarina of Time. Don't know if it would be possible but I would like to think so.
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 5 Aug 2015 - 10:52

Yeah that's what I thought, but I'm glad I can do it in Hyrule Magic now! Now is the X scroll bug still present as well?
With the house entrances there will always be the "bug" with the door, if you move the house from its regular position, as it was in Alttp (and since this usually happens, the door is always out of place). But there is a trick around it: you choose: special entrance: "None", and the door overlay will never appear. Now change the door (fill that gfx block with empty door). Thus all house doors will always be opened and no door overlay will ever appear (easy way out). But Nintendo wanted to make sure, the doors are closed and you open each door when you enter (they thus nedded to program the door overlays when exiting, because you can not open the house door on the overworld when exiting).

Also I want to replace the desert area into a lake and turn the forest into something like the haunted wasteland in Ocarina of Time. Don't know if it would be possible but I would like to think so.
Not only possible, but already done: the desert area (ie area 30) is the Lake in GoT (originaly done by SePH). Changing the forest is a bit more complex due to the overlays, which you would then need to remove. All possible if you are skilled with overworld editing.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Sat 15 Aug 2015 - 18:41

I actually wanted it exactly like the Haunted Wasteland from Ocarina Of Time, replicate it entirely in ALTTP, but I may just use a lost woods style instead.

I also just wanted to know if that X-Scroll bug that happens when entering a room is still present.

About the Forest Background, I would actually like to split that area into 4 separate areas if my Haunted Wasteland can not be implemented, which is what is most likely to end up happening anyway. Plus I can still keep the background, just change it's palette and speed (if it's possible). I've made mock-ups of what I'm talking about. Click the links below to see them, they're GIF files so your browsers should be able to play them just fine.

Forest Fog BG

Edited into Sand BG

One last thing is I moved the 'guynexttoasign' sprite to a different location but when I pickup the sign he does nothing, is there a way to restore this function back?
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Sat 15 Aug 2015 - 19:19

Forest Fog BG

Edited into Sand BG

That looks cool.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Sun 8 May 2016 - 7:42

I want some help, I followed a guide by the lovely Spane basically clearing all those 16x16 block and replacing them with white and red checkerboard blocks.

So far has been good but when I tested my overworld those special blocks like bushes, rocks, boulders and those rocks that you destroy by dashing; they don't act normal. I keep picking up the same rock and bush over and over in an infinite loop.

I suspected that it was because of the original location of the 16x16 block being located at a different spot. So I put the bush block back in it's original location and behaved normally again!

So with that in mind, is there a way to fix this issue?
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by Morpheus Sun 8 May 2016 - 14:00

Some tiles are very specific and you sadly need to use their original tiles locations...like the diggable grass, all pickable bushes and rocks, all animated entrances and dungeons like that swamp one and dark woods ones.
Morpheus
Morpheus
Newcomer

Since : 2016-05-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 8 May 2016 - 15:17

I suspected that it was because of the original location of the 16x16 block being located at a different spot. So I put the bush block back in it's original location and behaved normally again!
This is actually the down side of the overworld editing:
You can not change the block types for different blocksets. You define the block type of the location - onto which you load different blocksets; at least this is what I've learned throguh trial and error. Namely in GoT hack I've tried to edit a certain hollow statue back to type1= solid, and later surprizingly found out that this statue is loaded on village gfx set and that on snow gfx set there was an ice tile at the same place.

Once I've set that statue to type1= solid, I could no longer walk on ice, since it was also solid. I did not know what the deal was, untill I realized that this particular gfx-space uses the same type, ie type0= walkable on different gfx sets loaded onto this spot.

This thus means you can not move the special types like bush, breaking rocks etc, since they need to remain on spot to be able to keep the correct block type.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Mon 9 May 2016 - 2:13

That sounds like graphics editing and changing block types, I'm merely keeping the original graphics and just changing the 16x16 blocks as well as 32x32 blocks.
Here is what I did:

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 16x16
Help with my Hack? - Page 3 32x32_1

No graphics changes, I just moved 16x16 blocks around. Isn't there a hex tweak to make the game use the new spot for the bush and ect...?

Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 9 May 2016 - 7:07

That makes sense now. What you are doing is actually smart. Although I have no idea, why this is not working correctly, since you should be able to load the bush properties to a new 32x32 block. I never actually tried this out, since I usually left 32x32 intact and was rather making a lot of custom 64x64 blocks.

If the game indeed does not allow that, there is more to it, which I never looked into. Since you see, there is further code with the bush, which tells the game to load the tile of picked up bush (that strange brown small hole) ontop of this element once you pick the bush up. And this 32x32 block is also somewhere to be found (so if you change this location it might also not work). So this is probably set to work on block 54 (bush) of the 32x32 and some other 32x32 block to load over.

This is probably true for all such "complex" blocks which need to reload a new block on top of the previous (bush, rock, big rock, breakable rocks, pounding peg etc).

However this should be editable, just hasn't been documented yet. For instance, the game knows that after lift sequence the block 54 (bush) must be overwritten by (for instance block 500, brown hole under the bush), you should be able to edit this to new values in hex (but will probably need ASM tracing to figuere it out where the location is).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Tue 10 May 2016 - 6:00

Well if anyone is willing to look this up, that will be great, for me and anybody else that wants to move those blocks in a different spot.

I'm thinking of designing a base ROM that will be some kinda starter pack for anyone willing to mod this game make it easier to make their own Overworlds without having to use the messy default tiles. Plus I'll leave a lot of empty space for making custom Overworlds easier.
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Tue 31 May 2016 - 19:44

I wanted to recreate my village to make it look a little more natural and less square.

Better view clicking the link below:
Link

Help with my Hack? - Page 3 Village_OLD-NEW
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Post by SunGodPortal Tue 31 May 2016 - 19:52

Hmm. Looks nice. I like them both.
SunGodPortal
SunGodPortal

Since : 2015-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr.x Tue 31 May 2016 - 21:24

I like the new design. I like how the one biggest house is overlooking the village. I assume that's the mayor's house which makes sense.

Mr.x
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmander106 Wed 1 Jun 2016 - 1:41

@ SGP: Thanks for liking both, really appreciate the comment!

@ Trovsky: You assumed correctly, my plan was to have a mayor to hopefully add progression for the player.
Charmander106
Charmander106

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum