A File Bin?

Go down

A File Bin? Empty A File Bin?

Post by L I N K Sat 10 May 2014 - 8:41

I have a lot of faith in this website, and I want to help it reach it's potential. So as a suggestion, I have this idea for this website that involves a "file bin" of sorts where you have your own page to upload files. Sound like a good idea? The extension can be anything, and some types like txt and picture files just open up in your browser, while other files you have to download. Is "as many files as you want" a good idea, or should there be a limitation of some sort?

L I N K
Rope
Rope

Since : 2014-04-03

Back to top Go down

A File Bin? Empty Re: A File Bin?

Post by scawful Sun 11 May 2014 - 14:54

Just as long as you can't upload rom files it should be good. An option to make folders for each individual hack would be a great thing too
scawful
scawful

A File Bin? Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by L I N K Mon 12 May 2014 - 19:31

I sort of got the idea from SMWCentral, in case you were wondering. And yeah, ROMs would be a good idea not to allow. I hope it shouldn't be to hard to add.

By the way, how can I tell the difference between Amins and normal users? I would like to contact one about this.

L I N K
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Chagmen_Lietons Mon 12 May 2014 - 20:54

It does clarify it on the main page of the site. Admins appear in this color. So if you look at SePH's username or Orochimaru's username, that's the color admin's have on the site. I'm sure either one of them should see this post anyway.

But if you really want to know for future reasons, under the logo on the site, click on "Members". Click the first drop-down beside 'Sort by:' and select "Usergroups". You can scroll to find all Admin's/Moderators/Whatever group you're looking for currently registered.

Last edited by Chagmen_Lietons on Mon 12 May 2014 - 20:56; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to color two names. I like to be precise when it comes to posting a username(color is a must for me).)
Chagmen_Lietons
Chagmen_Lietons
Leever
Leever

Since : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by L I N K Mon 12 May 2014 - 21:14

Ok, thanks.

EDIT: Man, SePH is everything except founding members. Kind of surprised. By the way, what is "ErockBrox"?

L I N K
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by Chagmen_Lietons Mon 12 May 2014 - 22:01

I'm assuming "ErockBrox" is a usergroup mainly for the user ErockBrox. I also like how quickly the posts are averting from the topic and has turned into questions about usergroups. Haha.
Chagmen_Lietons
Chagmen_Lietons
Leever
Leever

Since : 2014-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by L I N K Tue 13 May 2014 - 7:23

Currently, there are only 5 admins on SMWCentral. I contacted one of them, Ersanio, and he said he can't offer MUCH insight, but said that you should look into learning more of whatever language this site is coded in, and do whatever you did to get6 certain things to always appear on users's profiles, but look into uploading files.

L I N K
Rope
Rope

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Tue 13 May 2014 - 7:39

It would require a bit of knowledge with PHP and the way PHPBB works which might be kind of difficult since phpbb is a very complicated board script. I'm not sure exactly what SePH gets with the file hosting but you could always code a completely separate file bin script apart from the forum, though it would require registering for the file bin separately from the forum.

My friend flashwave and I could potentially code this, but it's all up to what you guys want.
scawful
scawful

A File Bin? Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 13 May 2014 - 8:06

L I N K wrote:I sort of got the idea from SMWCentral, in case you were wondering. And yeah, ROMs would be a good idea not to allow. I hope it shouldn't be to hard to add.

By the way, how can I tell the difference between Admins and normal users? I would like to contact one about this.
Roms are already not allowed (you must not post a shortcut to any roms).

Chagmen_Lietons wrote:It does clarify it on the main page of the site. Admins appear in this color. So if you look at SePH's username or Orochimaru's username, that's the color admin's have on the site. I'm sure either one of them should see this post anyway.
There is only one Admin, and that is SePH or Orochimaru (same person), who build this forum.

L I N K wrote:Ok, thanks.

EDIT: Man, SePH is everything except founding members. Kind of surprised. By the way, what is "ErockBrox"?
Admin and Global Moderators and some (but not all) romhackers (green colour name) are (or course) also founding members. It goes like this: a (regular) founding member is a special status of those who were here before public release of the forum, but don't have special editing permissions.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

A File Bin? Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by K.T.B. Mon 23 Jun 2014 - 21:41

I agree that this is a very good idea. This could easily be used for a lot of things. I hope something like this gets implemented in the future.

K.T.B.
Bee
Bee

Since : 2014-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Fri 26 Feb 2021 - 18:32

are roms not allowed for legal reasons? copyright issues?
what about originial material like some of the hack/homebrews?

Is conker original (enough)?

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Since : 2021-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 26 Feb 2021 - 18:40

Bonenanza wrote:are roms not allowed for legal reasons? copyright issues?
what about originial material like some of the hack/homebrews?

Is conker original (enough)?
You can Not link or provide any Roms for both: legal reasons and copyright reasons. The same is walid for WADs, ISOs, hacks and homebrews. These are not "original" material, neither is Conker. The Conker hack was done out of ALTTP original rom and GFX ripped from various other games. This GFX was drawn by companies not us. You also can not post IPS which in term would contain the entire games, thus the best you can do is prove UPS or Xdelta patches. Also, this topic is 7 years old, just saying.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

A File Bin? Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Fri 26 Feb 2021 - 19:53

conker was just an example. i am well aware of that he belongs to Rare or whoever might have the rights to him now. thats a copyright thing, that i am aware of. out of the same reason its easy understandable why regular roms iso files arent allowed. i have never heard of "WAD, Xdelta, IPS or UPS"..
though i do know that the patches usually come as IPS und BPS..
and i dont care about how old the topic is. i am new here, i read the topic and I got curious so i asked about what was unclear.

and i understand that conker is not "Original"..

But what if someone with legitimately genuine new material would come up and offer a completely new and homebrew game which does not, in no way, copy or lean or whatever on any existing official title..
would that still not be allowed?
i am really just asking because i am interested in the technicalities. I dont want to annoy and i dont plan to release my own game Very Happy

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfcat Fri 26 Feb 2021 - 21:54

I had no idea that UPS or Xdelta patches were allowed and ips files aren't allowed, so now I know one of the reasons for the switch from ips to UPS or Xdelta patches.

Wolfcat
Armos Knight
Armos Knight

Since : 2016-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 27 Feb 2021 - 12:22

I had no idea that UPS or Xdelta patches were allowed and ips files aren't allowed, so now I know one of the reasons for the switch from ips to UPS or Xdelta patches.
Well IPS is allowed, but it "should" be avoided, since it could contain an entire rom info on accident, if you for instance compare two files and one has a header and the other one doesn't. It is also a high chance of false patching, producing bugged roms as a result of false patching, yet the Lunar IPS gives a message: patching successful.

and i dont care about how old the topic is. i am new here, i read the topic and I got curious so i asked about what was unclear.
Nice, that you are new, but probably not new to online forums where the rules usually say that you don't resurrect old topics. You could just open up a new topic/thread and ask the same question.

But what if someone with legitimately genuine new material would come up and offer a completely new and homebrew game which does not, in no way, copy or lean or whatever on any existing official title..
would that still not be allowed?
i am really just asking because i am interested in the technicalities. I dont want to annoy and i dont plan to release my own game.
This would not be called "homebrew" then. This term could apply that you would "hack/make" the game to work on one of the Wii channels. If you are refering to a completely new game made from scratch, for instance for Windows or some other operating system, than obviously the game is yours, if you have not used any existing trademark or copyright material. Of course then it would be odd for you to post it on a Zelda hacking forum. You might want to open a separate internet site in such a case and release it there.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

A File Bin? Image213

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Sat 27 Feb 2021 - 15:47

I am only interested in snes games and i know that there still are some dudes that "make" new games..
and since it then might become msu1 relevant i would definately post it here to give the right people the attention needed Very Happy

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonenanza Sat 27 Feb 2021 - 15:57

"Nice, that you are new, but probably not new to online forums where the rules usually say that you don't resurrect old topics. You could just open up a new topic/thread and ask the same question."

on the contrary.. i didnt know that old topics arent supposed to be or stay closed.. i thought that this should only be the case if theres nothing new to the given topic and/or if the information needed was already given and just had to be read...

I am not that much in forums.. but what i think to know is that topics then just get moved to existing threads...

Bonenanza
Witch
Witch

Back to top Go down