Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Empty Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest

Post by qwertymodo Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 15:00

There's a chest on either 5F or 6F of the Parallel Tower (I don't remember off the top of my head which) up on a ledge that I've never been able to reach.  It's in the room directly above the Armos Knights.  It does have a warp tile directly below it, but I've tried every warp I could find in the tower, and still haven't been able to find a way to reach it.  It's always bugged me what was in that chest, so today I finally used cheats to reach it, and the answer is...

Spoiler:

Just thought I'd put that to rest in case this has bugged anyone else like it bugged me.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Empty Re: Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest

Post by Euclid Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 17:53

It's a chest tile, there is nothing inside.

The original intention is for you to drop from the lost woods puzzle down to that floor to grab the key - however there were enough places to hide keys so I never took this chest out (due to HM running out of space message and I would have to dig through hex to find where that tile is)

In retrospect, if HM didn't bugger up on me I probably would've added extra set of doors on 7F so it's 12 keys to clear the tower in total - and the hint would be changed from 3 to 4.
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 18:04

So am I right that there is currently no legitimate way to reach that ledge?
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Thu 1 Jan 2015 - 18:48

No legitimate way.
Euclid
Euclid

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 7:23

qwertymodo wrote:There's a chest on either 5F or 6F of the Parallel Tower (I don't remember off the top of my head which) up on a ledge that I've never been able to reach.  It's in the room directly above the Armos Knights.  It does have a warp tile directly below it, but I've tried every warp I could find in the tower, and still haven't been able to find a way to reach it.  It's always bugged me what was in that chest, so today I finally used cheats to reach it, and the answer is...

Why didn't you ask?
This chest was bugging me also a long time ago. But after working on Parallel Remodel, I could gain access to the rom in HM (view only) by realocating room pointers. And I could see, that this item is not really a standard chest, but the "other" chest, which is used in the chest-opening-game. So this item is not in use by default.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 2 Jan 2015 - 9:20

I think several years ago I tried emailing Seph or Euclid asking about it, but never heard back. It actually totally slipped my mind that I could have asked here until just yesterday, at which point I figured I'd at least try to get to it myself before asking. Back when I was wondering those years ago I didn't have the walk through walls cheat, so that ended making the difference in being able to reach it.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 4:42

Managed to cheat my way to it. Yay got a heartpiece thanks to a bit of luck, and save states Sob

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Stacey_Bee_Zelda_parallel_worlds_secret_chest_to
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2016-08-24

https://plus.google.com/+StaceyBeeGaming/posts

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 5:44

No matter how much luck you have and how much save states you use, you can not get a heart piece out of this chest unless you hack the game further and replace the current object with the actual chest object, containing the new item. There is also a distant option of entering the shop, paying the merchant and use the walk-through-walls cheat to reach this tower room. The chest should open then (which is probably what you did, since I don't see photoshop edits on the picture and it can be difficult to imagine a newcomer would be able to track the chest and object code in hex).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 6:03

StaceyBee wrote:Managed to cheat my way to it. Yay got a heartpiece thanks to a bit of luck, and save states  Sob

^^I see what you did there!
But that's only because I recently edited my monologues!

lol Very Happy

@puzz: open the fullscreen image and compare to the parallel worlds monologues ;P

Floki

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 8:32

To be specific:
Message 342.
You found a piece of Heart![2] [2HeartL][1HeartR]

Pretty sure I was too lazy to change the original lttp dialogue.
Euclid
Euclid

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 8:53

Yay got a heartpiece thanks to a bit of luck, and save states.
Why settle for the Heartpiece, when you can get a full Heart-container out of it.

Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest Pw34001

open the fullscreen image and compare to the parallel worlds monologues
I believe this monologue was actually updated in the 1.1 version.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 14:42

I'm not to sure on the physics behind LTTP but I don't think the house interiors are connected to the dungeon interiors, no matter what direction I went in the game crashed when I got to a certain point.

I'm sure there are a few ways to cheat your way into opening this chest, the method I used was to exploit the value the game uses once you've payed the guy rupees so that I can open any chest without the guy saying any thing.

So when I was opening this chest the game thought I'd payed the guy and was just giving me random objects from that mini game and eventually a heart piece appeared, but maybe if I use a different method it will spawn other objects. There was a guy who commented on my post in the rom hacking forum saying he got a shovel, not sure if he was serious though

Last edited by StaceyBee on Tue 6 Sep 2016 - 1:20; edited 2 times in total
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 15:18

I'm not to sure on the physics behind LTTP but I don't think the house interiors are connected to the dungeon interiors, no matter what direction I went in the game crashed when I got to a certain point.
Everything is connected in the Alttp physics. There is a giant grid of 16 rooms into the horizontal, which starts at 0. So the first line is from 0 to 15, second from 16 to 31 and so on. However you can never pass between 2 global sections: 0-255 and 256 to 295. If you do the game crashes.

So when I was opening this chest the game thought I'd payed the guy and was just giving me random objects and eventually a heart piece appeared, but maybe if I use a different method it will spawn other objects. There was a guy who commented on my post in the rom hacking forum saying he got a shovel, not sure if he was serious though
No you can not get the shovel, without adopting the Rom. If you do nothing to the Rom, and just using cheats you can only get what is being sold in the shop (shovel or a heart container are not among those). Plus the Parallel Worlds (original) will not allow the Shovel at all, unless you use special Conn's ASM, which will allow that on the 24 item menu and thus allow the flute and the shovel being both in the item select screen).

I'm sure there are a few ways to cheat your way into opening this chest, the method I used was to exploit the value the game uses once you've payed they guy rupees so that I can any chest without the guy saying any thing.
Nice method. This is actually Ram manipulation, aka a cheat which makes the game think you have already paid.

Here's the hacker's method, if you are interested to get a heart-container from the chest (like on my picture above).
Open the game in a hex editor and remove the 200 byte header on the beginning, then go to these addresses:
--1195E6, and change 35 FF to 36 F9 (will give a normal chest in room 148),
--00EB2A, and change FF FF 0B to 94 00 3F (will fill the chest in room 148 with a heart container),
--1195CE, and change 2F to 2E (will remove the front blue peg),
--027C14, and change 01 to 00 (will remove the dark room effect to fully bright, so you can see the room better).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 15:46

[quote="Puzzledude"]

Everything is connected in the Alttp physics. There is a giant grid of 16 rooms into the horizontal, which starts at 0. So the first line is from 0 to 15, second from 16 to 31 and so on. However you can never pass between 2 global sections: 0-255 and 256 to 295. If you do the game crashes.

Ok that makes sense. I think the chest guy and the dungeon room are in different global sections because I tried getting to it a few times but only came across the black screen of death

Nice method. This is actually Ram manipulation, aka a cheat which makes the game think you have already paid.

Here's the hacker's method, if you are interested to get a heart-container from the chest (like on my picture above).
Open the game in a hex editor and remove the 200 byte header on the beginning, then go to these addresses:
--1195E6, and change 35 FF to 36 F9 (will give a normal chest in room 148),
--00EB2A, and change FF FF 0B to 94 00 3F (will fill the chest in room 148 with a heart container),
--1195CE, and change 2F to 2E (will remove the front blue peg),
--027C14, and change 01 to 00 (will remove the dark room effect to fully bright, so you can see the room better).

Thanks. That sounds very complicated. I have only just figured out how to create cheats and even then I felt like
Parallel Worlds Mystery Chest O_THE_MATRIX

Heres the cheats I created in order to obtain this chest (the bottom 3 cheats, and the lamp one I guess), it took a lot of trial and error, especially for the last cheat, but was totally worth it

You guys should add some more random unobtainable pointless objects to the game and make them very hard for even hackers to get. It was good having a reason to come back to the game after I had completed it, and to be completely clueless and having to figure it out on my own, that shit is what gaming was made for Smile
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 15:58

You guys should add some more random unobtainable pointless objects to the game and make them very hard for even hackers to get. It was good having a reason to come back to the game after I had completed it, and to be completely clueless and having to figure it out on my own, that shit is what gaming was made for.
I didn't make this game. Talk to the author. And yet I believe he descibed why this pointless chest with no content is still in.

If you however think this is a problem, you can always try the bottom door of the Saria's Gardens boss room. Guess what, its a crash bug that slipped through beta testing and no one bothered to fix it. One more proof that we are not a company who can fledge the game completely.

You can clearly see, that despite the fact that Parallel Worlds is one of the biggest Alttp hacks in existance, it was lacking beta testing, final checking and quality/difficulty control, and thus resulted in somewhat kaizo game with a lot of unfledged beta moments (missing inventory item, crash bugs, going out of screen= dark world church area, silver bracelet colour goes to Link's face instead of hands etc etc).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:00

Any one recommend any good free hex editors? I want to have a fiddle about and how long it takes me to completely break this game lol
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:06

StaceyBee wrote:Any one recommend any good free hex editors? I want to have a fiddle about and how long it takes me to completely break this game lol
That's what I'm using (HxD freeware hex editor), no relative search though.

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

https://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

PS
Someone agreed with you and is making the Parallel Worlds DX, which should address all the major aesthetical issues of the game, while the Parallel Worlds 1.2 was released before by me to also fix some obvious faults of the original release. However both releases contain only small changes.

https://www.zeldix.net/t1065-parallel-worlds-dx

https://www.zeldix.net/t824-zelda3-parallel-worlds-and-remodel-v1-2

Last edited by Puzzledude on Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:16; edited 2 times in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:13

The way I got up to that ledge was to use a walk-through-walls cheat:

Code:
07cb9a/ea+07cb9b/ea+07c1fa/ea+07c1fb/ea

When you use that, if you press up against a ledge from either side, you can trigger the "jump off the ledge" code, which actually switches you between levels in either direction, not just from the high-to-low.  You can actually jump "up" the ledge (at least when moving left or right, if you actually try to jump up a ledge while moving up, you end up jumping down instead).  Without any other cheats or glitches, the result is as shown in my original post, because that's what's actually there in the ROM.

Also, ninja edit, +1 for HxD.

And I'm the guy working on PW DX, which will eventually get released as just PW v1.2, since Euclid, SePH, and Puzzledude all agreed to let me call it that. I was calling it DX since I was basing it off of the LoZ3 DX patch I had already released. But since everybody seems cool with me releasing it as an official update to PW, I'm just going to do that instead of creating my own "fork" like Remodel.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:19

I've never seen that code, I use this instead:

Walk through walls
07C80100
07BDB600

but you can not jump up the ledge, you need to walk on the wall from the previous room to get up the ledge, otherwise Link will jump to bg2, which will render him invisible and unable to ever reach objects on bg1.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:22

I went through several different walk-through-wall cheats before I found one that behaved the way I wanted it to. The only thing this doesn't do is disable bounce-back from things like spikes or hitting Moldorm in an invulnerable location with your sword, but the first one might actually be desirable.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:26

If anyone is bothered by this fake chest and is interested in just terminating it, there you go.

Fake chest termination:
at hex address 1195E5, change from 95 35, to 96 36.

This will change the fake chest into skeleton remains.

How about implementing this qwerty, since you can not reach the chest anyway. Choice is your though.

Last edited by Puzzledude on Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:30; edited 1 time in total
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:29

Haha I fell for that door before. Thank god for save states. I know there are a lot of people who hate on games because of little glitches ect, but this is a homebrew romhack, not a multi million dollar project created by paid developers. I think the game is relatively seamless considering how many people were involved in this project. The only glitch I have had problems with is the one where you pick a pot up cant throw it  until you get hurt by an enemy . That was annoying. But apart from that and that stupid uncoded door, I haven't had any problems, but I am still new to this game, only had it one month.

The internet seems to be pretty ungrateful about this romhack. Through what I've seen on comments, ect alot of people are not up to this sort of challenge, but instead of admitting that they are shit and go back to playing animal crossing, they just look for reasons to moan and try to pretend that its because of bugs. If this was my rom I'd put my middle finger up to the public and say deal with it, but I guess thats why ubisoft denied my application lol but in my opinion this is one of the best releases to come out of the zelda franchise. This is a real game. The world clearly wasnt ready for this sort of challange
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:30

Puzzledude wrote:If anyone is bothered by this fake chest and is interested in just terminating it, there you go.

Fake chest termination:
at hex address 1195E5, change from 95 35, to 96 36.

This will change the fake chest into skeleton remains.

How about implementing this qwerty, since you can not reach the chest anyway. Choice is your though.

Nah, I'll leave it in for the curious cheaters, along with the Chris Houlihan entrance up on the ledge in overworld area 20/60.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:41

I haven't had any problems, but I am still new to this game, only had it one month.
Imagine people who bought it on a cart. They never made it past the guardhouse. I guess they didn't realize the authors had emulators and save states in mind when creating this.

Nah, I'll leave it in for the curious cheaters, along with the Chris Houlihan entrance up on the ledge in overworld area 20/60.
Sure, your call. I remember the first time, I've seen this chest and being all rookie-ish. I've concluded that there is no way to get it and thus you don't need it to beat the game.

PS
If any one is interested, there is a similar useless chest in my Goddess of Wisdom hack in the tomb dungeon: the most lower tomb (ie 3rd entrance).
And some more chests on the Mountain, where the hart-piece is at. In my case they are "permanently locked" chests (it was monologue edit actually).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by StaceyBee Wed 24 Aug 2016 - 16:46

What about that warp tile? Does it have function or is it just a tile? I'm sure that cheating a way to reverse portals is impossible without editing the game, but that aint stopping me from trying Very Happy
StaceyBee
StaceyBee
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next