ROM Editing

Go down

ROM Editing Empty ROM Editing

Post by Founder Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 17:13

GameMark24 wrote:
Zelda 3 Challenge - Hex Location Requests!

While I can change most of the data in Zelda 3 with Hyrule Magic or by referring to documentation, there is still some data which is unknown to me. Without this information, Zelda3C's appearance or gameplay may be limited. If you know where the data described below is stored in the ROM, or if you can find it, please let me know!

Requests:

ROM Editing Mini-triSprite Graphics: While I can easily edit the game's graphics, I cannot control which graphics are loaded as townsfolk and monsters appear on the screen. I realize the graphics data can be complicated for many of the monsters, since they use various numbers of tiles, depending on their forms and actions. My greatest concerns are actually for the townsfolk in the game, especially those who follow you. For example, if I wanted Blind Disguised to look like the Old Man on Death Mountain, how could I tell the sprite to use those tiles instead?

ROM Editing Mini-triShop Prices: Any information regarding the items sold and prices charged in shops would be greatly appreciated!

Founder

ROM Editing Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

ROM Editing Empty Re: ROM Editing

Post by GameMakr24 Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 16:25

It sure is fun to find my requests from years ago appearing as their own threads here. So far, this one still stands in its entirety!
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ROM Editing Image211

Since : 2013-07-31

http://www.questforcalatia.net/Zelda3C/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 16:36

I appreciate it! In the future, I'll make additional requests here instead of writing them to my website.
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ROM Editing Image211

Since : 2013-07-31

http://www.questforcalatia.net/Zelda3C/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 18:09

Unfortunately the shop prizes have not yet been found (as far as I know).

Regarding the sprite gfx. I don't know why would you want to find this in hex (since the gfx is using the compression algorithm, decoded by Fusoya and his zcompress).

The entire gfx must therefore be looked as one. This global string starts at 87000 and ends at DB7FF. So changing just some dots in the yy-chr would change the entire code + pointers. So the sprites' gfx can not be located in hex separately.

But I don't think this is what you want. You actually want the sprites which appear on the screen to be in correct gfx value. This is not always compatible. If you cut a brown bush on a death mountain, an auto spawning soldier might appear. He will be on wrong gfx (nothing you can do to change this), because the global sprite gfx value for the mountain has no soldiers.

This was solved by Euclid to change the auto spawning to something compatible to all gfx values (soldiers and old man on the mountain are not among those).

I believe the only neutral following folk is the frog (blacksmith) and the guy by the sign. The old man is compatible only with death mountain sprite gfx, while blind is compatible to inner gfx of that specific dungeon only. Of course this is all by default (it can be manipulated to some degree).

I can give you an example: you know the very first cave with your uncle (you can not have a beamos in there by default). You can however analyze where beamos is loaded, and change (sacrifice) that part of this specific sprite gfx (so if the beamos is in, something else will go out automatically). If this is on the same place as uncle, then uncle and beamos can never coexist in one room (without the other one being displayed glitched).

For example, if I wanted Blind Disguised to look like the Old Man on Death Mountain, how could I tell the sprite to use those tiles instead?
It is loaded automatically. If you edit the gfx of blind to anything, for instance a statue; then if you choose the sprite of blind, you are actually choosing statue. If you want an old man, you simply copy the head and body of the old man from its original gfx, to the blinds gfx (fake maiden). Gfx number also remains for blind.

But there's a palette issue, since the global pal value is connected with the local one, but all sprite palettes can be edited also.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

ROM Editing Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down