ASM Hacking

Go down

ASM Hacking Empty ASM Hacking

Post by Founder Mon 17 Jun 2013 - 17:16

GameMakr24 wrote:
Zelda 3 Challenge - ASM Hack Requests!
I've planned most of the game around the idea that these requests will not be fullfilled. However, the game will be so much better if anyone can write code to handle the situations listed below. Most are overworld entrance events; I realize they are complicated and difficult to work with. (There are already several ASM hacks in Zelda3C, but I won't reveal them unless they conflict with upcoming solutions.)

Requests:

ASM Hacking Mini-triQuake Medallion (Importance: HIGH) - This event originally opened Turtle Rock in Zelda 3. I need to move this event to a different screen, with the same result occuring when Link uses the medallion in the right place. A different set of graphics is used, but the overlay can be based on these graphics.

ASM Hacking Mini-triFire Rod (Importance: Medium) - This event originally opened the final entrance of Skull Forest in Zelda 3. I need to move this event to a different screen, with the same result occuring when Link uses the fire rod in the right place.

ASM Hacking Mini-triEther Medallion (Importance: Medium) - This event originally opened Misery Mire in Zelda 3. I need to move this event to a different screen, with the same result occuring when Link uses the medallion in the right place. There is no background rain to remove here, but the event should otherwise work the same way.

ASM Hacking Mini-triKiki the Monkey (Importance: HIGH) - This event originally opened the Dark Palace in Zelda 3. I need to move this event to a different screen, with the same result occuring when Kiki is paid money in the right place. I already have the data required to move the points where Kiki talks; only the actual event needs to be moved.

ASM Hacking Mini-triPound 3 Pegs (Importance: Low) - This event originally revealed a warp tile which granted access to the top of Turtle Rock in Zelda 3. I need to move this event to a different screen, with the same result occuring when Link pounds three pegs in the right order.

ASM Hacking Mini-triBoss Hearts (Importance: HIGH) - I would like every boss which holds a pendant or crystal to drop a heart piece instead of a heart container. When the heart piece is collected, the treasure then falls into the room. Someone has already begun work on this one; please contact me before getting started.

ASM Hacking Mini-triSurprise ASM (Importance: N/A) - Lots of cool tricks can occur by creating small ASM hacks, many of which I'm not even aware. If you can implement any great ASM hacks, I would be very grateful for your help.

Founder

ASM Hacking Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

ASM Hacking Empty Re: ASM Hacking

Post by RedScorpion Wed 3 Jul 2013 - 19:05

It would be very intressting to change the events of Quake,Ether and Fire rod!

Thanks

red
RedScorpion
RedScorpion

ASM Hacking Image111

Since : 2013-04-28

http://www.snes-projects.de

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 3 Jul 2013 - 19:36

mh, I may look if I find any... can you provide snes9x save states for geiger tracing? Playing to it is always kind of nasty ^^
Conn
Conn

ASM Hacking Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 6:22

Conn wrote:mh, I may look if I find any... can you provide snes9x save states for geiger tracing? Playing to it is always kind of nasty ^^

I'm not sure if Gamemakr24 has logged onto this board or not, but this is his game.

If you want to help out with the hack and possibly encourage him to come to this board to post his progress the best way to contact him is his e-mail, which is zack76@juno.com

Thanks for your interest.

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

ASM Hacking Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 9:20

I remember this guy making an awesome zelda, nes hack similar to parallel worlds... but if he's already into it, I don't know whether I can help.
But can't the events be altered using hyrule magic?
Conn
Conn

ASM Hacking Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 10:52

You can not edit any events with Hyrule Magic. In fact Math On Napkins is also leaving this for last in his Black Magic editor.

All the above events are very difficult to edit. They are not sprite based (or partialy like Ganon Tower staircase event). These events have 3 parts. First state = locked = actual drawing, second state is the animation = special animated gfx required, and the 3rd state is the overlay loaded after the event has taken place, to insure that the entrance stays opened.

All of this is Asm based, similar as the Bird statue animation. The events are programmed to take place in certain areas only and on certain X and Y coordinate only. Changing anything (the area or the coordinate) would require Asm editing, to change the area, more editing to change the coordinate, and even more to change the location of the overlay (opened entrance).

All together not exactly recommended for editing. This was fixed in GoW hack to actually have the entrances opened all the time.

However, it would be nice to have the Ganon Tower event (7 crystals barrier), since this is somewhat mandatory, but I've solved this in GoT by copying the code from Alttp, having the Tower on the exact X and Y, same area, but totaly redrawn otherwise.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

ASM Hacking Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 13:55

I see. I shortly checked and my first (logical) assumption was that it were a sprite, but it really is background which makes it difficult to hack as you already describe it. I once fixed tweenix or whatever the name of turtle rock monster is in AST and this one is even more strange: the ice and fire head are sprites but the shell is background.

Reallocation of this event really needs some skills then. But what is it what you need? Some kind of tutorial how to manage or do you already have a place in your hacks where you want to have it?
Conn
Conn

ASM Hacking Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 14:44

I actually already have it fixed in Gates of Time, since I only need the Tower barrier (that's the first thing I did and tested it out).

However any hack (including Calatia) could use a realocation of the Areas of these events. Namely Ganon tower is area 43 only, Fire rod entrance is area 40, Quake medallion entrance is area 47. Ether medallion entrance area 70. I believe these are all hex values of areas.

It would be very usefull, if we could change the areas only (leaving coordinates and other aside). For instance the position of fire rod entrance is ok already (small or big area, since it is it left up). It is just a problem, why it only works in area 40. So how to bring it to area 41 (small area, coordinate remains) or area 00.

This is probably one byte only, and probably as a value 40, since this is hex already. For instance bringing this event to light world forest, would then change this byte from 40 to 00 (forest area)?

I believe Math on Napkins actually found a way to realocate the Bird statue event (similar thing). In SePH's Guide Alpha version uder sprites and their code. Maybe this is a place to start and try to mimic it into these events.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

ASM Hacking Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 4 Jul 2013 - 17:49

hmm, I was thinking about it. I guess the first thing is to change the background (using hyrule magic?), so that e.g., the entrance with the fire rod appears in another area. Then it is needed to find out some ram addresses, so that the background changes, the gfx are displayed and so forth when fireing on it. Then it is necessary to find out how the tiles for the open passway are loaded instead the closed when you already have opened it (ram address as well I guess).
I could do some research on this but need a point to start with (like having another entrance closed with those tiles).
Conn
Conn

ASM Hacking Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 6:04

that helps much Smile can MoN create the asm hacks for the other ones as well?
Conn
Conn

ASM Hacking Image212

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Fri 5 Jul 2013 - 18:55

Have no idea about this one since I believe he has his own hack to finish (Dark Prophecy) and Black Magic to complete, but it could be happening!

Founder

ASM Hacking Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 15:58

Wow, these two event hacks are amazing! I had lost hope that these kinds of edits would ever be possible! Smile
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ASM Hacking Image211

Since : 2013-07-31

http://www.questforcalatia.net/Zelda3C/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Thu 22 Aug 2013 - 12:40

Hi everyone! I have an immediate need for the following ASM hack.  This is actually where I got stuck, last time I was working on the game, and lost focus while trying to decide on a contingency plan.  Basically, I need to move the event that causes Hyrule Castle's front gate to open.  Currently, it's in 1B, but in my new layout, it's needed in 13.

It will still work exactly the same way, except that I will heavily edit the overlay.  Its original purpose was to use eight 16x16 tiles to create path on top of the front gate.

Also, does anyone know just how much editing I'm allowed to do to an overlay?  I recall Sephiroth3 saying something like "more than there was, but not vastly more"...

I tried several experiments to learn to move it myself, but all failed.  I know this is an extreme event hack, but if it's possible, I don't want to settle for the boring work-around I have in mind.  

Thanks!!
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ASM Hacking Image211

Back to top Go down

Post by MathOnNapkins Sun 25 Aug 2013 - 23:50

There are two locations that need to be patched, because there are two situations that trigger the castle opening overlay. Now, I don't quite understand why it's in two places in the game code, maybe they had some different ideas during the earlier development stages. But anyways, when you bring Zelda to Sanctuary early on, the priest's code opens the gate. If you some how managed to avoid doing this (maybe when using a cheat code like the BAGE code? I dunno), the process of defeating Agahnim will set the castle overlay flag right after you finish warping. Whether you need to change both of these locations or actually hack it in somewhere else depends upon the overall structure of your modified game.

Anyways, down to brass tacks. What we essentially need to do is change every instance in the rom of modifying $7ef29b to be modifying $7ef293 instead:

Code:

!area_flags_base = $7ef280
    !castle_area = $13
    !castle_area_flags = !area_flags_base+!castle_area

org $029e2e

; Overwrite what used to be manipulating $7ef29b
    ; This is triggered when Agahnim warps the player to the dark world
    lda !castle_area_flags : ora.b #$20 : sta !castle_area_flags

org $05daad

; Overwrite what used to be manipulating $7ef29b
    ; This is triggered when the player brings the Zelda tagalong
    ; From Hyrule Castle to sanctuary early on in the game.
    lda !castle_area_flags : ora.b #$20 : sta !castle_area_flags
That should do it and if you need to change this override in the future you can alter $13 to a different area.

MathOnNapkins

ASM Hacking Image111

Since : 2013-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Mon 26 Aug 2013 - 21:17

This is incredible, and so straightforward! Thank you, MON!! I'll set this up and resume editing the overworld accordingly. Smile
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ASM Hacking Image211

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Tue 27 Aug 2013 - 21:49

GameMakr24 wrote:This is incredible, and so straightforward!  Thank you, MON!!  I'll set this up and resume editing the overworld accordingly.  Smile
Gamemakr24 wrote:Hey, Erock! Boy, I am just so glad that you kept on sending e-mail after e-mail after e-mail in your never ending quest to convince me of joining Zeldix.
LOL! Cheers! Gamemakr is finally here and the quest for calatia project will continue to live and will be worked on!!!!!

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

ASM Hacking Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 21:26

This discovery by MoN is actually opening a lot of new possibilities! Can't wait to see what will be your new use for that overlay GameMakr!
I'll be working on it this weekend!  (I couldn't last weekend because I was attending Dragon*Con.)  I'm very anxious to set up all my story-related plans for that area!

Gamemakr24 wrote:Hey, Erock! Boy, I am just so glad that you kept on sending e-mail after e-mail after e-mail in your never ending quest to convince me of joining Zeldix.
Ha.  Ha.  Okay, Erock:  Thank you.  LOL!
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

ASM Hacking Image211

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum