Two new small hacks worth checking out!

Go down

Two new small hacks worth checking out! Empty Two new small hacks worth checking out!

Post by Floki Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 2:03

Zelda 3 L/R Item Switch:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2879/

Kazuto wrote:This patch allows you to switch items with the L and R buttons. Complete with
sound effect!

Zelda 3 Max Consumables Fix:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2878/

Kazuto wrote:This patch modifies the Bomb and Arrow counters to allow a maximum of 99 for both. It also allows the fairy to properly refund your rupees when you toss over 100 into the pond and try to upgrade something that is already maxed out.

He also did an AST running patch, but that one was already done by Conn sometime ago!
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2880/
^^Not sure if it's working the same way, but worth checking out!

Released sometime ago over there:
http://forum.metroidconstruction.com/index.php/topic,3940.msg52680.html#msg52680

:-D

Floki

Two new small hacks worth checking out! Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Two new small hacks worth checking out! Empty Re: Two new small hacks worth checking out!

Post by qwertymodo Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 12:30

The AST running patch here is not the same as Conn's.  In particular, it does allow you to continue running up staircases without holding the D-Pad up (which should also affect the lumberjack tree, but I haven't checked).  For that reason alone, I would suggest using this running patch instead of Conn's, as I intend to in both PW v1.2 and aLttP DX (if I ever get around to updating that again).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Two new small hacks worth checking out! Empty Re: Two new small hacks worth checking out!

Post by Cralex Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 1:39

I just loaded up the L/R Item Switch patch and the AST running patch. I can confirm that the AST running patch works as advertised and is fine for entering the lumberjack tree without getting stopped. It's a really nice addition! I haven't done a whole playthrough with it, but I also checked to see if it cancels the run when exiting a building, and it does. (If memory serves, an earlier version of Con's patch did not cancel running when exiting a building, which made it possible to crash the game if you changed directions in the doorway, so this is a good thing.)

The L/R patch is very, very cool! I wanted to see how it handles switching between the bottles and the regular items, and it seems to work as expected. All in all, I'd love to see these two included in a future version of DX and other hacks.
Cralex
Cralex
Newcomer

Since : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 5:42

The patch appears rather short, I remember having lots of issues with bug fixing and such. But if it is simpler as mine and apparently has no bugs, the better Wink
I ported mine from the AST code, he made it from Scratch. To make his patch work on a rom with mine already applied you need to reverse mine, making an uninstall patch:
1. Have two native roms of alttp
2. patch one native alttp with my code
https://www.zeldix.net/t400-direction-change-while-running-with-pegasus-boots
3. choose this patched rom as original rom in lunar ips, and the other native ALTTP as modified. You get an uninstall patch.
4. Apply this uninstall patch to your rom with my version applied.
5. Then apply his dash version to your rom.

However, if you also use other patches of mine, ensure that his addresses used are not already taken. I think I would have to port his patch. 

I remember you once was requesting such a LR patch SePH, be aware that his patch most likely is incompatible with your patch (24-items menu, with bottles) and the hooks he used are surely already taken (superbomb and such). It has to be ported if you want to use it.

I may port both hacks if I ever feel for (dunno yet how I make it with the superbomb and monologue skip). Dunno also about "copyright issues" of Kazuto and if we are allowed to publish a modified version of his patch here. In his readme he writes "If you found this patch on another website, please let me know me on RHDN."
So maybe somebody can point him here.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 14:17

SePH wrote:Euclid do you remember when I asked you to implement something like this years ago?

Kazuto wrote:Zelda 3 L/R Item Switch by Kazuto

Hosted on Romhacking.net (RHDN)

If you found this patch on another website, please let me know me on RHDN.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contents:
Uninstall LR Item Switch.ips
Zelda 3 LR Item Switch.asm
Zelda 3 LR Item Switch.ips
Zelda 3 LR Item Switch Readme.txt
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About:
This patch allows you to switch items with the L and R buttons. Complete with
sound effect!
General users:
Apply the .ips file to an unheadered US rom of A Link to the Past. The
"uninstall" .ips file removes my coding changes from the game, restoring it to
its original functionality.

Be aware that applying this patch to a hacked version of A Link to the Past may
or may not work. This patch utilizes specific free space that the creator may
have also used. To be safe, if you're going to patch an existing hack, be sure
to "soft patch" it (give the patch the same filename as the hack and put it in
the same folder with the hacked game). This way, if the patch causes a freeze,
the hacked game will still work if you just rename or remove the patch.

Advanced users:
I've included the .asm file I created to implement this modification. It is
coded for xkas version 0.06. The modification JSLs to custom code located in
bank $07. You can change the named define "CycleCode" to relocate the code to
anywhere in the rom. Furthermore, you can change the sound effect utilized by
changing the named define "SFX" and/or by changing which sound register is used.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2879/

Almost a dream come true and it would definitely improve the pacing of this game to be able to switch items on the fly.

Could probably be implemented if the current controller scheme would be edit a little bit.

Here's my brainstorming:

Current Control Scheme
---------------------------

D-Pad (Move)

L (skip monologue, switch inventory screens)
R (superbomb only, switch inventory screens)

A button (Talk, Run, Lift/Throw, Push/Pull)
B button (Attack)
Y button (Use item)
X button (galaxy guide only)

Select button (pills menu)
Start button (smartphone)

I'd change into:
-----------------

D-Pad (Move)

L (switch items, switch inventory screens)
R (switch items, switch inventory screens)

A button (Talk, Run, Lift/Throw, Push/Pull)
B button (Attack) + (skip monologue when you are reading one)
Y button (Use item)
X button (create superbomb when bombs selected) + (read galaxy guide when selected)

Select button (pills menu)
Start button (smartphone)

So you namely need to move the skipping dialogue to the ''B'' button as it is unused when you are reading something and... make the ''X'' button work only when you have the dynamite and galaxy guide items selected.

I'd then need to edit the superbomb icon into an ''X'' button instead of ''R'' and of course edit my monologues a bit so that the new buttons are described properly, but it would really be much awesome otherwise! A major improvement for dungeon puzzles which require you to switch between items, instead of opening the menu each time.

Tell me what you think about this!

Thanks!! Smile

^^Those were my original plans and feel it could work actually. It just requires some motivation I guess!

Floki

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 15:16

I could probably try implement that but you should ask kazuto...
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Floki Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 16:08

Why? If he added his asm source code he probably doesn't mind.

Floki

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 24 Jul 2016 - 16:27

probably. But if I shall post it in our hack section (dash) I need to adjust it to work with my all-in code (msu and other stuff).
I will not port the LR (except for you SePH), since your solution works only with X free, which is impossible in all-in (since there's still the map)... and though this feature is nice, I still have doubts it is of much use, as there are so many items - even in bszelda with very few items I rather navigated through the menu. But we will see.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 8:00

I made up my mind on this. I will port the dash code and make it the first choice in that patch post, also I will probably use this for all-in (since my code is a bit more sophisticated).
However, I will not port it for PU... that is since it is not needed (almost no stairs in PU and no dashing tree) and special adjustments (like non-stop in mosaic loading overworld screens) - it is just not worth the effort here, since my hack is already completetly debugged in PU.

The LR on the other hand is only portable for PU, but incompatible with my hacks since I have the X-button not free (map). SePH uses the smartphone menu here, so I can place the superbomb on that button. I do not know whether there is common interest for this LR patch to be posted on our page as well, or whether people prefer the all-in patch... this is a either/or decision.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 11:10

Conn, I disassembled it, and the dash code is almost identical to yours, minus a few instructions. I'm guessing yours does an explicit check for stair tiles that isn't included here. Also, importantly, kazuto's is missing a few extra hooks that yours had which fixed bugs. So don't use kazuto's directly. I'll post up the version I'm using that's a combination of the two asap.

Edit: here it is. The difference in running on stairs is found under the label ast_dash. Kazuto's code was missing the additional hooks that fixed bugs when running into and out of doors, wouldn't allow you to continue running between overworld screens, and there was one other hook I couldn't quite figure out because I could never get it to trigger (hence the label pegasus_unk Razz )

Code:
seek($02857D)
    jsl pegasus_exit
    nop

seek($028B13)
//pegasus_map_transition
    db $80  // beq -> bra

fseek($07911B)
    jsl ast_dash
    bcc +
-;  bra ++
+;  lda #$12
    sta $5D
    dec
    sta $0374

fseek($079138)
+;

seek($07BCB8)
    jsl pegasus_unk

fseek($07FF40)
pegasus_unk:
    lda $5D
    cmp #$11
    bne +
    stz $5D
    stz $0372
+;  lda $66
    and #$02
    rtl

pegasus_exit:
    stz $56
    stz $02E0
    stz $0372
    rtl

ast_dash:
    sta $00
    bit $F2
    bmi +
    clc
    rtl
+;  lda $F0
    and #$0F
    bne +
    sec
    rtl
+;  cmp #$0A
    beq +
    cmp #$05
    beq +
    cmp #$09
    beq +
    cmp #$06
    bne ++
+;  and #$0C
+;  cmp $26
    beq +
    sta $26
    sta $67
    sta $0340
    jsf($07E6A6)
+;  sec
    rtl

pegasus_inout:
    stz $02D6
    stz $5E
    stz $5D
    stz $0372
    rtl

seek($099F32)
    jsl pegasus_inout
    nop
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 12:21

Also, just an FYI, I asked Kazuto about using his code in DX/PW, and it sounded like he was totally fine with anybody using it.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 13:16

Thanks, I guess it is better to stick to my patch then. I think it is due to a stair bug fix why the autorun on stairs is switched off in my version (requires the d-pad use).
Maybe I can fix that... but if my code is "identical" but more complete I may assume that my additional code is bugfix. I do not remember in which bugs we ran into, like running into exits caused one or running into a staircase that leads to another dungeon level caused another one. There was also one when turning left or right in an entrance or something weird.

So... I'd suggest using still mine then, since mine is complete debugged Embarassed

Thanks for Kazuto's free patch use, I need the LR code Razz

Edit: yes, I think I switched the autorun off due to the staircases in dungeons that lead on another floor. If you are allowed to run down, it bugs. So I had to switch the run off when entering a staircase. There's no workaround, as this is necessary.
One solution I have is to make a $1b check and only switch the autorun off in dungeons, so you still have it on overworlds and thus have no problems with the dash tree - ... which is this conversation about.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 13:27

So far, I haven't encountered any bugs with the mixed version I posted. It includes all of your bug fixes, and just drops a few instructions from the main subroutine (IIRC it was a single conditional branch), so maybe there's one case that has issues, but I haven't run into it in my playtesting. I did, however, find the ones going into/out of entrances... that one produced some pretty interesting behavior Very Happy
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 25 Jul 2016 - 13:36

Very Happy
Anyways, íf his solution is nearly identical to mine, but I have some instructions more (where you can assume that they are necessary!) I keep on sticking on my version.

I will however adjust the staircase run, so that you autorun on staircases on the overworld, to have the dashtree easier. I think this really only bugs indoors.

If you can help me out where to make that $1b check to be able to run staircases on overworld, I'd be grateful. I should make documentations, and I never got into bass (still using xkas code), so your asm is right now hard to understand.
But I also have little time to do that stuff, expect the new patch in about 2 weeks (added on my to-do stack).

Edit, on a quick look to enable dash on overworld staircases, it should be:
Code:

pegasus_inout:
lda $1b
bne end ; or way round, beq end?
    stz $02D6
    stz $5E
    stz $5D
    stz $0372
end:  
rtl
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 26 Jul 2016 - 5:48

No worries, just traced it. Unfortunately, there is not even place for 4 bytes without breaking the all-in, so I need to use unusual addresses

Code:

lorom
org $87FF98
JSR $FEE5
NOP
NOP

org $87FEE5
LDA $1B
BEQ $05
STZ $5D
STZ $0372
RTS

With this code the overworld staircases won't stop you from running, so the dash tree is as it is known from ALTTP. I'll merge that code with my dash version in one week, or so (need to wait for a fresh Conker version, as I code that here, too as well I have not really time now- real life issues).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Tue 26 Jul 2016 - 13:14

I'm not sure if that's the right place for that check. The pegasus_inout subroutine gets called when going into or out of a doorway (transition from overworld to dungeon or vice versa). I don't think it gets called on stairs, but I'll throw in a breakpoint and check it out when I get the chance.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 26 Jul 2016 - 14:22

No, please re-read my last post. It is a different location, not part of your brass asm above. If you apply my dash-patch and the sniplet posted in my last (not second-last!) post afterwards, you can dash stairs on overworlds
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Tue 26 Jul 2016 - 14:26

Ah, I see. I'll definitely give that a try.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down