Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP)

Go down

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP) Empty Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP)

Post by qwertymodo Tue 18 Oct 2016 - 14:46

I've started work on getting all 10 FMV's running in Chrono Trigger.  Stage 1 was writing my own MSU-1 video player code, because I had never done any video or DMA code before, so I couldn't make heads or tails of the existing players, and by the time I had learned enough to make sense of the existing players, it was just simpler (and more educational) to write my own.

Stage 1 is now complete:

Though it isn't obvious from the video, it's actually loading each movie separately (the main code loop is basically running play_video_0; play_video_1; play_video_n...), so my MSU-1 data indexing code is working, and getting the videos to play once I find a good hook point is easy.  Cleaning up after and restoring VRAM and the PPU state is going to be the tricky part.  That's stage 2.  Stage 3 is cleaning up the videos themselves.  There's a lot of noise and dithering artifacts from the resolution/palette reduction.  I know there are other algorithms much better suited to this application than the ones I'm using now, but in order to use them, I'll have to implement them myself, so I'm putting that off for the time being.

Anyway, this felt like as good a time as any to make a public announcement, since I have a nice video to show for it Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP) Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP) Empty Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP)

Post by suFami Tue 18 Oct 2016 - 16:00

Great work, I'm really impressed you wrote your own video player code! Good luck on Stages 2 and 3 Very Happy
suFami
suFami
Leever
Leever

Since : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP) Empty Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP)

Post by qwertymodo Sat 12 Nov 2016 - 22:16

qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Mon 14 Nov 2016 - 10:14

I'm so glad you got this working, I got so burned down on this project to do the FMV part!
DarkShock
DarkShock

Chrono Trigger MSU-1 All FMV's (WIP) Image111

Since : 2014-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 14 Nov 2016 - 12:13

You and Ramsis both. However, your project was very helpful in getting mine off the ground, documentation-wise, so thanks for that Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 0:12

Here's the beta without video (well, the video code is in, the video files themselves just aren't ready).  I'm willing to give out the video files in their current state to anybody willing to actually beta test, report bugs, etc. and agree not to redistribute the video files.  Right now, several scenes look like absolute garbage, and I want to get them looking better before they are released.  And also, I need to get the last 2 videos inserted into the credits.  However, I really do need testers.  It's a long enough game that I can't just do a full playthrough any time I make a change like aLttP.  I can't fix bugs if I don't know about them.

Download Here
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 17 Nov 2016 - 15:12

I decided to post to the RHDN project forum for testing/bug tracking, so if anybody wants to track the project, this is probably the best place to do that: http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23115.0.html
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by lasthome Wed 11 Jan 2017 - 3:38

Thank's for your effords, i found this forums looking for a Parallel Worlds patch and found a pletora of news (for me). Tested this patch with Orquestrated OST with you version os snes9x and bsnes 0.73+3 and its working fine.

Tahnks again.
lasthome
lasthome
Newcomer

Since : 2017-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ABOhiccups Wed 21 Sep 2022 - 21:43

Qwertymodo need somebody who knows CUDA and can help implement bisquit's dithering algorithms in CUDA/C++. So he can finish making FMV version of Chrono Trigger MSU1 project.

If anyone who knows CUDA and like to help Qwertymodo out to finish making Chrono Trigger MSU1 FMV. You can contact him by joining his Discord Server.
https://discord.gg/F4KvmvU
ABOhiccups
ABOhiccups
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2019-08-22

http://abohiccups.crypto

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShadowRunner Sat 24 Sep 2022 - 11:22

Maybe, m35, the author of jpsxdec could help..?
https://github.com/m35/jpsxdec
TheShadowRunner
TheShadowRunner
Hardhat Beetle
Hardhat Beetle

Since : 2015-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 15:52

qwertymodo wrote:Here's the beta without video (well, the video code is in, the video files themselves just aren't ready).  I'm willing to give out the video files in their current state to anybody willing to actually beta test, report bugs, etc. and agree not to redistribute the video files.  Right now, several scenes look like absolute garbage, and I want to get them looking better before they are released.  And also, I need to get the last 2 videos inserted into the credits.  However, I really do need testers.  It's a long enough game that I can't just do a full playthrough any time I make a change like aLttP.  I can't fix bugs if I don't know about them.

Download Here

I got save states for snes9x 1.60 that is before literally every point in the game. If you want me to qwerty, I can quickly tell you if the videos are working or not.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 16:18

Videos are working fine (other than the two in the credits that I still need to play through all of the endings in the PS1 version to test where they're supposed to be inserted), what I need is somebody with CUDA experience that's willing and able to work with me to fix up my video encoder so I can make the colors not look like garbage. Or somebody to play through all of those endings for me on PS1 (I have save states that can help) and tell me exactly which endings do and don't include the FMV's.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 16:40

qwertymodo wrote:Videos are working fine (other than the two in the credits that I still need to play through all of the endings in the PS1 version to test where they're supposed to be inserted), what I need is somebody with CUDA experience that's willing and able to work with me to fix up my video encoder so I can make the colors not look like garbage.  Or somebody to play through all of those endings for me on PS1 (I have save states that can help) and tell me exactly which endings do and don't include the FMV's.

Oh, my bad. I bet you can find save files online that is before each of the endings, if i find time maybe i will look into
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sun 2 Oct 2022 - 16:58

I already found save files, which I have progressed up to the final Lavos fight, and then created save states. What needs to happen is to go through and beat the Lavos fight for each of them, and then watch all the way through the credits and mark down if an FMV played or not, and if it did play, then I need a video recording (or a save state immediately after Lavos is defeated) of that ending so I can see where exactly the FMV is inserted in the credits sequence.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down