Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Post by emuandco Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 9:58

I have absolutely no problem with your fixed DKC2 pack. I'd more say thx very much for fixing it. Very Happy

I don't have much time for doing it myself, so thx for stepping in and help me and the rest using it Wink
emuandco
emuandco

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2014-10-20

http://www.dreimer.de

Back to top Go down

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 2 Empty Re: Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good

Post by qwertymodo Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 12:11

Conn they're right at the top of the first post in this thread, along with all the others Razz
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Fixing all of the too-loud audio packs for good - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 13:22

Oh great, Very Happy

I wait until map1/2 are done as well so I upload everything in one go.
All required it to merge with the sd2snes16 patch and that's it?
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 13:36

Merge the patch, fix the checksum, possibly update the readme to remove references to the sd2snes16 patch, or else replace it with a note that SD2SNES users with hardware revisions older than rev H need to update their firmware to 1.7b or later in order to enable the MSU-1 audio boost.  That should do it.  I'm working on the AST SPC packs now, then map 1/2.  I also have your aLttP ZReO and optional_video packs uploaded.

All of my packs contain all of the original files as they were when I downloaded them, i.e. the .msu files are included, and all filenames are the same, so they should just be drop-in replacements for the original packs.  I'm really trying to make this as painless as possible for everyone Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Tue 13 Dec 2016 - 15:23

The AST SPC pack is uploading now. Also, in the interest of keeping the list size down, I've rearranged my uploads into folders and have posted folder links instead (at least for AST, so far I don't have any others that really need folder links, but SMW probably will, for one).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 1:23

Oh yes, I completely forgotten. If you do the same with smw, smw+, alttp, f-zero, that I host too, please also let me know whether I shall apply the sd2snes16 patch.

Here's again the list of my files:

BTW: is the snes9x 1.54 with msu1 support already released? As I need to rewrite my readme:s, I can already add this in there. If not, what is the exact version number that will support it then?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 10:25

1.54.1 is the latest release but it doesn't have MSU-1 support. BearOso has said at this point they're basically waiting on LuigiBlood, who has been committing a bunch of BSX improvements. Once he's done, they'll put out 1.55, and that will be the first official release with MSU support. I'll keep you updated on my progress through the audio packs, but my intention will be to merge the sd2snes16 patches on all of them as I go (basically the entire point of the thread being to eliminate any need for separate patches now that we shouldn't need them). Thanks for updating things on your end, I know it's a pain, but hopefully once this is over then the problem will be behind us once and for all.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 13:18

*lol, I know I should be grateful! Very Happy

I am currently uploading the new files. I already updated the patches, and hopefully did no mistake. The problem is that the sync of sd2snes 1.6 was also different, and that was adjusted with that patch as well. Luckily I noticed! Such things are always critical when mixing with a working patch system.

I hope everything goes alright! I will also merge the alttp optional video patch to make that easier, too.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 14:33

Oh, good catch there.  I've heard you talk about the audio desync, but wasn't necessarily sure exactly what that meant.  Is it that the narrator announcements not syncing up exactly to the in-game events?  Because I was playing with the sd2snes16 patch applied, but in Snes9x, and I did notice one of the "energy buildup in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..." was off by a few seconds, but I didn't think to mention it. So, if that's the reason, then I'm glad it's easily fixed!

So, even though the timing patch would still be necessary for <= v1.6, at this point, the answer to users should be "not supported, update your firmware" since we can't support the older timing without also having boosted audio packs.  Thankfully, there really isn't any reason for people to keep using old SD2SNES firmware.  Unlike emulator versions, there are no features removed or performance loss with the newer versions, so it's easy enough for us to just say that there's a bug and they need to update.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 15:53

Yes, exactly. Ikari adjusted the clock in v1.7 as well to match higan. It is a desync of 7 seconds after 50 minutes. Now all sd2snes, higan, bsnes and snes9x have the same timing.

And yes, I wrote in the readme to update to 1.7 (prior versions not supported). Also I added in advance snes9x v1.55 to the bsnes setup.

I already uploaded everything. Tomorrow I update alttp. Then I wait for your progress on map1/2, f-zero, smw and smw+ and hope I will never have to deal with that sh....t again Razz
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 14 Dec 2016 - 21:20

Yeah, the nice thing about this being The Right Way to fix the problem is that once it's fixed, it's done, no more workarounds Smile

No guarantees on a timetable for the other games, I'm kind of jumping around randomly through the list, and I should really be finishing up Parallel Worlds first. Some games, I'm even having to redo loop points, or even submit bugfixes for the actual patches as I go (MMX's loop/don't loop list is incorrect, for instance).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Dec 2016 - 5:08

I was checking the ALTTP files:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [Zelda ReOrchestrated] (-18dB):

Code:Select content
   http://www.mediafire.com/?ofs277fdwfo8fp3

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past [Optional Video] (-18dB):

Code:Select content
   http://www.mediafire.com/?6rvbcbrgx8tcb9b

And think the music is a bit too loud in comparison to the sfx at FF. Even with the old 60 adjustments I think it sound better. Maybe it is because you only decreased by 18 db and not 21? I also compared to native alttp, and there the sfx are also a bit louder in comparison to the spc.

If you think so, too and reupload them you can merge the video files with the normal folder, I will provide no seperate video file anymore (but merge that patch then) to ease things.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 15 Dec 2016 - 10:18

Yeah, I'll redo those. I just checked and my aLBW pack is -21, so I should have used that in the first place. My bad. I'd rather keep the video separate still because it's possible people might want to have the video but use the aLBW music instead of ZReO. I'll be uploading the Chrono Trigger video separately too when it's done, for the same reason (well, that one's a little different, cut still, 2 different choices of audio tracks, so people can choose, and I don't want to have to upload 2 copies of the video).
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Thu 15 Dec 2016 - 15:31

Ok, the -21dBFS ZReO and optional video pack are uploaded. The link for the video changed, but the ZReO pack is still at the same link.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 7:29

Your new files are awesome, and everything is uploaded. Smile

I nevertheless merged the video patch with the tracks patch, as this will ease the pain to setup msu1 a lot for newbies.
If they want to play with albw files, they simply can replace the track files. If they use those albw files only, they will have one time (when created a new slot) a black screen, where they only have to press start, or most will use the dx anyways, so I have no worries here.

BTW: I tested albw tracks, and they appear to be too loud as well in my patch in comparison to the sfx (though it says -21dB).

Could you give map1/2 priority? Then all zelda stuff is done Very Happy map1/2 use the same pcm:s, only the video msu is different, so you only need to do it one time.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 12:08

-21 is still too loud? That's weird... I didn't really test much, I'll try and do that over the weekend and be sure. Sometimes, tracks with higher dynamic range end up needing to be normalized a little differently or they end up drowning out the SFX even at the same RMS level that works for more compressed tracks.

Unfortunately, I won't really have access to the machine I've been working on, unless I go into the office this weekend, which I guess I can do. I've been staying late at work and using my work computer because they have way faster internet. I live out in the middle of nowhere and internet service is pretty bad, but at work we have 150/50 fiber with an SLA, so we *actually get* those speeds. None of that "up to" crap you get with residential service. Trying to down/upload these files from home would take days.

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time I've gone into the office on a weekend just to use the internet Razz. Also, I need to finish my ZPW LP, so I probably need to anyway. After next Tuesday though, I'll be on the other side of the country visiting family, with only 4G tethering, so I'll do what I can this weekend, then the rest will have to wait until the new year.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 16 Dec 2016 - 15:10

No need to rush. Rather enjoy your weekend and new year vacation Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 13:48

I don't have access to any of the source/project files for the BS/AST audio, so I can't do anything other than level correction. If whoever has the original source wants to send them my way, I might be able to look into them eventually, but no promises.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 16:50

I wanted to provide the sources, but 30 GB data is too much. The files are as perfect as amateurs can do it. I appreciate qwerty's ff fix, though it isn't really necessary imo. However I'd also appreciate it very much if we can drop the bszelda projects as completely accomplished thereafter. I really don't intend to spend the rest of my life with it, so please let me retire eventually for real!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 19:50

Just tried, the export takes forever, but eventually I end up with 80 MB *8 (spc,orch) = 640 MB+ 80MB (for the intros)=around 720-800 MB.
That is ok if people want to handle the lower quality ogg files.

I may do all compressions in the next days, but ONLY if you promise to not bug me with anything further here.  Also qwerty, do not bother to do any more fixes. I cannot count anymore how often I already replaced the 5 GB of AST files, now again with the FF fix, I just don't want anymore. They are as perfect as they are, ok!?

I do not know how often I said this already, so for all who missed that part: I am done!  
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 20:13

Yeah, I wasn't really set on doing it anyway.  Having played through it myself, I'd say Trovsky did a great job with what he was able to fix, and I don't remember hearing any real issues (though I know full well just how crystal clear those flaws come through when you're the one who's been fighting to try and fix them).  I don't think I'll bother with them, I have a long enough list remaining as it is if I want to get through every known audio pack :/

I swear I meant it when I said I didn't want to make any more work for you, so I think I'll just say we're good with this update I'm working on now and we'll leave it at that Smile
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Sat 17 Dec 2016 - 21:26

I have a bad habit of letting my ADD convince me to take on any new project suggested to me, which is kind of what happened here... I think I'll just stick to the volume leveling, as well as getting PW v1.2 out the door in time for the anniversary.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 19 Dec 2016 - 14:07

I am done with uploading the compressed source files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B68bmgtrAXQAN3drSGRjenNwcTA

You see, I have no objections if a severe bug is found or a new request rises up (for that stuff I am still around). But this msu1 project is actually closed and all I ask for is to respect that. I find nitpickings disgusting, and people will always find something. I was pretty much alone involved with this project (expect for your appreciated help, Trovsky), so this wasn't my favorite project anyways - I am happy it is done. Re-opening it for nitpicking stuff only people with absolute hearing ever notice drives me nuts!

I will update all my msu stuff with FF once qwerty get the rest done (map1/2, smw, f-zero), but that's it - and I'll never touch it again. Thanks for your understanding
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by sindrik Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 21:31

is TMNT IV fixed audio coming in 2017? thank you qwerty

sindrik
Bee
Bee

Since : 2016-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Wed 28 Dec 2016 - 22:57

I'm currently out of state for the holidays, and trying to get PW 1.2 out the door by the end of the week. I'll get back to this work when I'm home.
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next