Super Mario World 2 (finished)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Mario World 2 (finished)

Post by Enmet Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 8:46

I'm currently working on a PCM set for this but I noticed some things:

-Big Boss theme has at least two different versions, the one listed works for 3-8 but not for 1-8 in my testing. The difference is that one of the Big Boss themes begins right away, and the other is for bosses with cutscenes. I believe the only two should be 3-8 Piranha growing stronger, 5-8 boss cutscene going to the moon.

-Room Before Boss didn't work in 4-E (The Impossible Maze) and 3-8 right before Baby Bowser's chamber. I noticed it played the Game Start sound twice though. EDIT: I noticed there are two Room Before Boss listed, I had only applied the first one. EDIT again: Actually nvm, it still plays the Level Start sound on loop instead of Room Before Boss. Note that the track works fine in 1-8 before the boss.

-As previous noted, there's a night and day variation of the title theme.

-The Map Theme has 7 different variations, I suppose you can only map one of them at the time of writing. It does play no matter if I use a fresh save or a 100% save with all worlds completed, however.

Also if anyone has a MIDI of the Game Over tune, please give me a heads up!

Great job with this!
Enmet
Enmet

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Image110

Since : 2018-01-01

Back to top Go down

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Empty Re: Super Mario World 2 (finished)

Post by Conn Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 10:45

First of all, please report bugs as clear as possible. I need to read your post 10 times at least and still don't get your point. To make it more clear, post videos for example.

-Big Boss theme has at least two different versions, the one listed works for 3-8 but not for 1-8 in my testing.
1-8: https://youtu.be/tqH-qipGEEI?t=233
3-8: https://youtu.be/c5Vj5nKgyeA?t=449
5-8: https://youtu.be/bzwdvSnfb_o?t=379
All have a prelude and sound pretty much identical to me... so what do you mean?

EDIT again: Actually nvm, it still plays the Level Start sound on loop instead of Room Before Boss. Note that the track works fine in 1-8 before the boss.
So, what is a nvm, which level plays no room before boss? I need the level number that doesn't work, not that 1-8 that works.

-As previous noted, there's a night and day variation of the title theme.
-The Map Theme has 7 different variations, I suppose you can only map one of them at the time of writing. It does play no matter if I use a fresh save or a 100% save with all worlds completed, however.
Feel free to re-read the very first post in this topic:
This is a light patch and a beta. I know that the map themes change as well as the title theme when dark. Don't ask me to implement. It was hard enough!
Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 11:35

Conn wrote:All have a prelude and sound pretty much identical to me... so what do you mean?
Listen to how the 1-8 boss music starts off straight with the drum beat, compared to the other two. I don't mean Kamek's theme. Listen very closely to how the drum beat doesn't start until the Piranha is out of the water and the cut scene has finished. It's the same thing with the 5-8 boss, the drum beat doesn't take off until the player has gained control while being on the moon.

Conn wrote:I need the level number that doesn't work, not that 1-8 that works.
I mentioned 4-E (the extra level in world 4 that you'll unlock if you get 100%), and the other is the room before Baby Bowser's chamber (6-8) (the long auto-scroller where Kamek is trying to fire magic at you). In the actual chamber of Baby Bowser however, the music actually plays. The weird thing about 4-E is that it's looping the level start music over and over, as if the level music was mapped to the start music.

I also found that:
-In the credits, both the SPC and the MSU track is played at the same time.
-During the Baby Bowser fight, only the SPC music plays.

Conn wrote:Feel free to re-read the very first post in this topic
That's why I said as previously noted. It was probably unnecessary to elaborate on it but perhaps it will be a bit clearer why there's only one map theme PCM. On that note, this pack is almost finished! =)

Conn wrote:First of all, please report bugs as clear as possible. I need to read your post 10 times at least and still don't get your point. To make it more clear, post videos for example.
I tried, but here are some videos:

Pre-Bowser chamber is silent, also Big Bowser music only plays the SPC
4-E is silent (supposed to play the pre-boss music)
The 1-8 variation of the boss music
The 3-8 variation of the boss music
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 12:08

Conn wrote:A strange occurence in snes9x: I updated my code, and the new code wasn't updated when restarting the game. First when I renamed my rom it took effect (renaming the rom back resulted in the old code again). It is the part of the code that needs to be shifted to ram, so maybe snes9x keeps the ram somewhere saved.

If anyone still haven't figured out that by yourself, just delete your .SRM save file, created at your SAVE folder, or whatever place you have set up. ;-)

The code is backed up into your save game, so no changes will happen unless you start a new one.
Colines
Colines

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Image111

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 12:39

Colines, you took my quote way out of context. But again, I blame myself for not being clear.

To get to the point, do not expect Sd2Snes to ever have FX support . It’s nice that Conn future proof it but don’t get your hopes up in playing on a real SNES anytime soon on the current Sd2Snes.

It has been cleverly worded even in the Sd2Snes Q&A that some support chips are just too powerful for the current FPGA to handle in this version of Sd2Snes.

That is all. Has nothing to do about the future generation talk and the best of your indoctrinating quotes.

Its cool that you have your strong convictions (as well as others). But when it seems like the dialogue is becoming forced onto to others, then it becomes a problem.

In a nice way, don’t be so forceful and nit picky. It’s ok that some times you will not get your way “right away”. In this case, you did. But how you approached it could have just pissed off Conn to leave it as is. Be grateful for that.

Sent from Topic'it App

pev

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 13:28

Emnet, I won't fix the boss variations, they are too similar. Same issue with the 7 map themes and dark light intro.

Thanks for the other reports,
all should be fixed in v5 (redownload from first post) - room before boss played correctly, mute at bowser stuff and such.

@Colines: thanks for the tipp, will try that. Enmet: it is maybe better if you can also refresh your sram (use one from the internet, otherwise it is possible that the new fixes don't take effect).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 13:40

I'm very aware of the SD2SNES limitations, but like you stated, it's still quite possible to fork the software to get rid of other chips or mod the FPGA specs to do it, even if that's meant to make a SuperFX+MSU-1 implementation only, just for the sake of having it running on real hardware so people can test stuff.

The hopes to get it running on the real thing works more like motivation to do things the right way, or it should.

But you are right, I also worded poorly my thoughts, and wasn't trying to force any sort of idealism or whatever doctrine you wanna call it.

My biggest concern is deliberately exploiting emulation flaws to make impossible things to happen. If that's case, then we're not hacking SNES ROMs anymore and might as well switch to Unity3D.

I should apologize to you too, wasn't my intention to call you out or "repressing you", in case you felt this way.

But we already have a dark past with ZSNES, where too many rom hacks are lost forever locked in its core, there are already people who can't use ZSNES anymore on newer Operating Systems, should we doom Snes9x only rom hacks to the same fate in case the developers decide to vanish?

Again, this is just an exercise thought, Snes9x is a very qualified emulator by its own means, but not for development and should not be target as goal to make your wonderful creations to work on, but on contrary, it's Snes9x that must make itself proper for you.

Nevertheless, I was immature regarding the whole thing, I'm really sorry everyone.
Colines
Colines

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 13:49

No hard feelings, I just needed to make sure I was not placed in a bad spot (unless I deserved it). Also, if I offended you in anyway, I apologize as well. I see your point and whole heartily agree.

pev

Super Mario World 2 (finished) - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 13:55

and v6 posted... problem was that the ending credit theme switches to another theme (when the mushroom house is shown). I disabled this switch otherwise the spc would be played. Means, anybody who produces the pcm has to make a merged pcm (but shouldn't be much a problem).
Sorry Enmet if you already began trying v5. I hope this bugfix has an end now.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 14:16

heh, I'm really glad, no harsh feelings either ^.^'

I'm gonna work to be more logical instead of emotional, to avoid such misunderstandings. If that helps, I actually tried to be precise and emphatic as much as I could, since Conn has a little bit of difficulty to get through long and complicated sentences Razz

Of course, that does not justify my actions and should not ever be tempted again by anyone else insecure about your wording.

Sorry Enmet if you already began trying v5

And do not forget to delete your previous save ram! this last sentence just so the off-topic ends xD
Colines
Colines

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 14:18

Conn wrote:Emnet, I won't fix the boss variations, they are too similar. Same issue with the 7 map themes and dark light intro.
I don't mind if there's only one version of the big boss theme, but at the moment it plays the SPC for the "shorter" version right now.

I spent some more time actually trying to play through the game today, and two things I noticed was that the Garden (1-1) music will start when Yoshi has "sobered up" from a fuzzy in 1-7. The World 2 map actually plays the big boss music (lol!), World 3 is okay though.

I haven't tested v6 yet so apologies if these have been patched already, but I figured I'd give some feedback just in case.

I have not refreshed the sram, I grabbed a random 100% save file from the internet, but I'm aware of it and I'll do a play-through from a fresh save file soon as well.
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 14:49

I spent some more time actually trying to play through the game today, and two things I noticed was that the Garden (1-1) music will start when Yoshi has "sobered up" from a fuzzy in 1-7. The World 2 map actually plays the big boss music (lol!), World 3 is okay though.
Again I must ask for more detailed infos:
- sober up from fuzzy: isn't the garden music supposed to restart when sobering? At least that is what I coded.
- which castle does the big boss spc play?
- map2 big boss music: how did you make that play? Die somewhere in a level in world 2?

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 15:34

1-7 has the Overworld music (the track is sometimes called Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy), not the Garden music.

The World 2 map with Boss music happened every single time I was on the world map after completing a level so it wasn't just a one-off occasion from dying or anything like that. Perhaps this is an sram thing though, I'm sorry that I can't provide more details here.

I played up to World 3 and I was streaming the game play if it's to any help. It will also give you a taste of the PCM set! =P
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 27 Jan 2018 - 15:57

Nice music and play Smile why does it mute at minute 25...?

I just posted a v7. Luckily our universe is built that way that I can give unlimited version numbers..

See how many of your found bugs persist.

Edit
and...v8. The level prelude (03) had the wrong countdown thus it sometimes wasn't mute
Edit
and...v9. The big boss finished also played spc. I hope this is over soon.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by daniloroxette Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 1:56

Hey, Conn. o/
Hey people.

Today, I organized a pcm set with my findings. I dared to make some variants for the tracks that I didn't find alternatives. No good results, but as we say here "quebra um galho".

I made a video to test with the latest patch and I got some issues;

The SPC is playing together here: https://youtu.be/SIzVC1CH5so?t=5m2s

After a stoned yoshi, the 17.pcm starts to play (it should start 16.pcm again): https://youtu.be/SIzVC1CH5so?t=9m39s (same as Enmet reported for level 1-7)

Real reference: https://youtu.be/U8btNneN8ew?t=3h27m48s

Problem with the ending credits:

Until now, I only have finished this game with the console, the Zsnes and Snes9x. As far as I remember, the credits scenes video on emulators (the ones I saw) takes longer than it should (problably because the layers have complex movements).

Your hack mapped the ending theme (35.pcm) as only one track. When we play with emulators, this two songs is separed by the lagged video. There's no loop.

Reference of the scene with emulator's issue: https://youtu.be/U8btNneN8ew?t=6h59m10s
Reference of the scene with console: https://youtu.be/uEG0E6Vqu1s?t=13m6s

On Snes9x, with the two part of the songs in 35.pcm, (if the 35.pcm obbey the timing of the original song) the the last scenes will have no song at all.

I don't know what to suggest, considering that I don't know if this issue also happens on BSNES.
Maybe just remove the looping? (because the composition actually does not loops)

I'll post the pcm pack.
daniloroxette
daniloroxette

Since : 2017-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post by daniloroxette Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 2:07

daniloroxette
daniloroxette

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 6:44

Beat me to it!

Here's my PCM set (v1)

If anyone is wondering what the Mario kidnap sound is, it's basically taken from a bunch of shy guy sounds from Mario Party. I didn't know what else to substitute it with there really! Very Happy

Going to stream a (full) play-through soon as well.

EDIT: Oh and I noticed that the manifest points towards iog_msu1-*.pcm, shouldn't that be smw2_msu1-*.pcm?
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 8:48

Alrighty, v10 is posted. manifest also corrected (thought I did it, but...)
Please take a fresh rom and srm.

; 23    35   n     ending theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAPaGu0fWDE
; 25    37   n     ending theme2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGM6FiDti04

Means I cannot post your pcm sets yet, since the credit theme is now mapped to pcm-37 (loop edit: no loop) and the first ending remains 35 (set now to no loop). Sorry, but dani is right - better make 2 themes here.

Sobering up fixed for both levels 1-7, 4-1 to restart individually the corrected theme

Also the dual spc/msu play in 1-7 is strange. It is the same code for all levels with the same countdown, it is reproducable for you? it doesn't happen to me...

Let's see how v10 works out Very Happy

Last edited by Conn on Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 10:24; edited 2 times in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 10:03

Version 2 with ending split

Why is the second part looped though? Isn't the music supposed to just stop at the end?
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 10:23

oh my, sorry. Set pcm 37 to no loop as well (v11). Hope it's easy to adjust your Version2 set.

I tried hard to reproduce dual spc/msu in 1-7 but failed. Mutes always nicely for me... too bad if it is a random bug, since this is not fixable in worst case.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 10:30

The PCM set should be correct with the recent changes, so I think you can put it up now.

Going to do the play-through in a moment on stream.
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 11:04

I just uploaded a v12, with a security check, so that the dual spc/msu play dani encountered in 1-7 shouldn't occur anymore. It is a guess, so I can only hope that it solves this problem.

Posted your set v2 to first post. As soon dani is finished and also the playtests were successful I move it eventually to the database
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Enmet Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 14:02

So I did a full play-through which you can find here.

For the most part it worked great but I had the following issues:
-2-2 getting silenced. I noticed that this happens when you grab a very specific coin. You can see it at the end of the highlight.
-4-7 muted when I picked up a flower.
-5-3 muted for unknown reason.
-6-5 muted when I shot an icicle with an egg.
-4-8 has the SPC boss music.
-6-7 started the level over with the SPC after I died.

Note that this was all on v11. I can't recall having any double (SPC and MSU) plays though.
Enmet
Enmet

Back to top Go down

Post by daniloroxette Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 14:11

I'm not getting version 12 to work. Everything is muted here since the beggining (not playing the spc either). In BSNEs, the SPC plays. When I redo the patch with previous v.9, it works.

I don't know what to try. (I tried to rename all dependent files, but the mute issue continues).

daniloroxette
daniloroxette

Back to top Go down

Post by daniloroxette Sun 28 Jan 2018 - 14:14

I tried differents downloaded roms either. I do not know if it's a rom issue. Do I have the correct rom?

I'm unheadering the one easily found out there with "(US) v1.1"
daniloroxette
daniloroxette

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next