Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site

Go down

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site Empty Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site

Post by the_randomizer Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 1:43

I couldn't help notice that these two amazing games have gotten MSU-1 support, which makes them all the more enjoyable. But imagine my disappointment to when I stumbled upon the threads to find out that not only are they unusable, but that the soundtracks are now impossible to obtain. I have searched Google long and hard, and have yielded no results; to make matters worse, the instructions in the read me files for the ROM hacks do not indicate how the PCM files are to be named should I find them.  And to be even more brutally honest, the ROM hacks are just that, ROM hacks, they are incomplete without the soundtracks.  This gives a conundrum to those who want to use the EWJ1 and 2 MSU-1 hacks, but can't due to the inability of being able to download them. Why then, are they provided on the database, if people can't download them in the first place?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose Crying or Very sad

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to understand why out of all the tracks, those two had to be the only ones that were removed? Surely, there are other ways one can get the soundtracks no? And wouldn't it be easier of the read me files indicated how the tracks were to be listed?

Edit: I managed to find them on a certain forum Paradise, which was somewhat unconventional. Oh well.

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2016-11-11

Back to top Go down

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site Empty Re: Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site

Post by qwertymodo Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 3:06

The unfortunate fact is that redistribution of music files is very much a legal gray area, and if they get removed from hosting sites, there is nothing we can do about it unless they have been mirrored elsewhere. As for your other questions about naming and setup, you can find answers to those issues here: https://www.zeldix.net/t1607-msu-1-getting-started-guide
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site Image212

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site Empty Re: Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 8:34

@the_randomizer The links never went down (still up and been up). Are you having problems with your web browser of choice?

pev

Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 PCM patches no longer on site Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by the_randomizer Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 10:35

pepillopev wrote:@the_randomizer The links never went down (still up and been up). Are you having problems with your web browser of choice?

https://www.zeldix.net/f49-jump-n-gun

I was looking in this thread, and under "PepilloPEV Sega Saturn PCMs v1.0:" the link is blank, there is no link in which to download them. The other games in this thread all have links that are visible, as seen here in this screenshot.  It's pretty obvious that they have been removed and maybe they could be reuploaded to a better host than File Factory.

https://i.imgur.com/WgBRSdq.jpg

I certainly am unable to download it, I had to resort to searching on a less than scrupulous emulation site forum to obtain the PCM files for both games. Every games but Earthworm Jim 1 and 2 were still up, the latter two games' links were not on this thread, but were completely blank. It would be nice if they could be rectified to show up as the other links were there.

qwertymodo wrote:The unfortunate fact is that redistribution of music files is very much a legal gray area, and if they get removed from hosting sites, there is nothing we can do about it unless they have been mirrored elsewhere.  As for your other questions about naming and setup, you can find answers to those issues here: https://www.zeldix.net/t1607-msu-1-getting-started-guide

So yeah, it's kind of disheartening to see ROM hacks hosted, but their PCM files no longer available on the database, IMO, it kind of defeats the purpose of hosting just the ROM hacks. That's my two cents.

Edit: I was able to find working links when clicking on the MSU-1 hacks' comment section, but not on the database itself, as they appeared blank as in the screenshot. Not sure why the database thread doesn't show the links, but clicking on their comments does.

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 10:46

the_randomizer I'm glad you were able to figure it out now that you are not in 'Hulk' mode. Everything is much clearer when frustration is not present.

I did notice that some links do not appear on the main patch page if too much text is present. In this case, going into it is the only solution. I have no control over how the page is presented to the end user.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by the_randomizer Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 10:58

pepillopev wrote:the_randomizer I'm glad you were able to figure it out now that you are not in 'Hulk' mode. Everything is much clearer when frustration is not present.

I did notice that some links do not appear on the main patch page if too much text is present. In this case, going into it is the only solution. I have no control over how the page is presented to the end user.

Do you know who would be able to fix that? This is why I got confused, if I'm gonna be honest.

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 11:00

@the_randomizer The quick fix, that I do have control over, is just remove the bloatware text (to push the relevant stuff up).

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 11:04

@the_randomizer Ok, after rearranging some text, all the relevant stuff (the links) are now showing. I'll keep that in mind, next time, if I ever post anything at all. Happy Gaming!

Smile

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by the_randomizer Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 11:09

pepillopev wrote:@the_randomizer Ok, after rearranging some text, all the relevant stuff (the links) are now showing. I'll keep that in mind, next time, if I ever post anything at all. Happy Gaming!

Smile

Now I feel bad, I'm sorry Crying or Very sad

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 11:11

@the_randomizer Hey, you had a legitimate concern. It brought a quick solution, all is good with the universe, for now. Until the next issue occurs. This is life.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by the_randomizer Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 11:15

pepillopev wrote:@the_randomizer Hey, you had a legitimate concern. It brought a quick solution, all is good with the universe, for now. Until the next issue occurs. This is life.

Well, okay, and for what it's worth, I do apologize, and thank you.

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 15:29

I posted a video showing how to navigate through the Zeldix website when locating MSU-1 related patches and PCMs. Hope this clears up the confusion for future visitors.

- VIDEO REMOVED TO AVOID CONFUSION -

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 17:40; edited 1 time in total

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 16:20

Haha, nice tutorial, thanks -now nothing can go wrong anymore (hopefully) Very Happy
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 17:19

The main thing to remember is that this is a forum. Despite calling the hack boards a database, they're really just a list of forum threads, with a thread preview enabled. If you click on a "database entry" this becomes clear as you can see that you've merely opened a forum thread. The confusion you've brought up comes down to the fact that we have no direct control over what will show up in the thread preview, we just try to mostly stick to a somewhat standard post template, so for the most part you get a nice standardized preview. Unfortunately, it's very easy to break this preview with things like long links, or even just extra text in the preview area.

Last edited by qwertymodo on Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 17:22; edited 1 time in total
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 17:22

You are correct Qwerty, I’ll remake the video to make that distinction clear.

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Mon 23 Apr 2018 - 17:36

Ok, I understand. I will bring the video down for good. No need to confuse people.

Smile

pev

Back to top Go down

Post by the_randomizer Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 10:30

Hey, I noticed an issue with EWJ 2 in Lorenzen's Soil, the normal soundtrack plays right? Well halfway through, a different soundtrack played, the Polka soundtrack started playing randomly. I'll see if I can get a video. Using Snes9x 1.55 64-bit.

the_randomizer
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by pev Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 15:53

I’m aware of it but have not been able to reproduce it. I tried today on BsnesPlus with no luck. I encountered it in Tangerines too but found out what caused it there.

If you can reproduce it. Please grab a save state on Snes9x just when it occurs to have an idea how to replicate it on my end to debug.

pev

Back to top Go down