The morning star weapon for Link

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Empty Re: The morning star weapon for Link

Post by Erockbrox Wed 4 Sep 2013 - 22:53

^ Conn, I see. Now I understand why you made it like that. :)So basically what you did is as good as it gets.

Well, again THANK YOU! This is indeed totally awesome and this means a lot to me!

I've been dreaming of this for years and wanted to one day personally do it, but thanks to you and your ASM mastery you pulled it off and now its the best custom item to this day!!!

And I just realized you even got the graphics and sound too. That is badass!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Empty Re: The morning star weapon for Link

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 12:42

You're very welcome, Erock :)Hope you can enjoy the hack anyways.

Moegami and Puzz, I fixed the bugs as best as I could, these were 2. The first was that the bird was always stored into vram after you called him. Easy to fix. The second is if you use 2 items at the same time, and the second is the goldstar. I disabled the goldstar as second item as best as it was possible. There are some minor glitches left, like the boomerang flies out of the screen sometimes, but it should be ok now.
Seph, also sent you an update:

I found a bug and like to ask you to redownload the file:
Native ALTTP version
-v2: hammerbug fixed
-v3: graphic glitches fixed with bird and double item use

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/fb_gs.zip

Please check if it now works
Conn
Conn

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 13:40

This is perfect. No more bugs when calling a bird and the Goldstar is disabled when in conjunction to other item-sprites on screen. This last version doesn't have the new monologues inserted but I've easily fixed this, by reading the info. It is just those 2 bytes to load new monolgues.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 13:54

I just read through the whole ASM word document.

Conn your ASM is brilliant!

I totally need to learn this!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 14:18

Oh yes, the default message is hookshot and magic boomerang since I do not know which monologues are free in your hacks, so when creating the updated example they went away. I reenabled them in above zip example rom, but since you already changed them no need to re-download.

I am happy to get green light from you. It isn't an elegant solution to just switch off the morning star function when another item is in use, but I have no idea how to make that different... however, we can live with this, I think Wink

Now I wait for moegami's test and when he is satisfied as well, I'll post it in the single hacks collection Smile

*lol, Erock - thanks a lot :d

Last edited by Conn on Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 14:20; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 14:19

When testing I found a further problem. Normally I could fix this, but it seems like the code is preventing it.

In the dungeons, when you get the map, it will not be displaied, but rather a goldstar will be displaied instead of the map. This is probably so, because of the letter gfx used. Namely the letter can be easily replaced by a map (since they look the same).

I don't know how to fix this. Editing the usual spot for the menu-displaied map is not helping. But editing the 8-bit menu for goldstar autoedits the old map location and the main menu goldstar.

When extracting the gfx, the map was in-place, and I couldn't find the 8-bit gfx for goldstar anywhere in the bin file.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 14:26

ah, this luckily doesn't affect pu version.
mmh, maybe the letter and map use the same tiles. damned. this is difficult to fix since the hookshot has only one tile that can be replaced. Do you have an idea which menu tile is free?

Here's the vram image. I think I can place it right of the boots... what do you think?
The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Image410
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 14:37

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 New

Free tiles in the menu are in the upper section.

You can take those right of the boots (those are free).

Can also take 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D (if you need 4).
Can also take 10, 11, 20, 21.

The map is at DE, DF, EE, EF.
So the code affects DE, DF, EE, EF to be displaied where the map is.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 15:06

Cool, thanks! I take those right to the boots. It's rather easy to change it, but I need to go now. I think in 3-4 hours I can send the update.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:10

Ok here we go:

Native ALTTP version
-v2: hammerbug fixed
-v3: graphic glitches fixed with bird and double item use
-v4: menu map glitch fixed

Now it should be ok... this fix was only necessary in ALTTP, since PU has a different menu order (so we stick on v5 for now SePH Wink.

The place to the right of the boots was somehow used as black in the menu, so I placed it to the left, position 25-28:

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Image210

So please check again if everything is ok now ^^
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:19

Just tested it, no bugs in the map screen. Really awesome job conn! You've seriously outdone yourself with this one. Can't seem to find any other bugs from what I've done Very Happy
scawful
scawful

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:32

Cool, thanks also a lot for all the bug-testing. I'll post the hack into the single hacks collection as soon puzz also has no further findings as well ^^

btw: zcompress always makes a massive change to the rom's data (same does any change with HM). For these reasons I made the vram transfer of the morning star tiles upon collecting it from the chest and left the native patch without any textbox or chest content change (for which I gave instructions how to do).
I say this in case you wonder that you cannot find the tiles when examining the menu gfx after ripping with zcompress.
If you want to adjust the gfx:
8-bit in menu: 11/5100
16-bit when out of chest: 11/4000
16-bit when used: 11/5600

Last edited by Conn on Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:34; edited 1 time in total
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:33

This last version is great. Very Happy Couldn't find any more problems.

PS
Did you know that the Morning star enemy also has problems, if on bg2 (under the indoor bridge). The morning star weapon goes over his body, but (because of that reason) also over the bridge. So the bridge doesn not cover it.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 5 Sep 2013 - 18:55

Great Smile already posted it in the single hacks collection for free use.

So you placed the ball&chain guys in such a room? That's an interesting finding. It took me nerves to find this thing with oam priority out. I do have no explanation why nintendo made it this way. It is possible that otherwise you can hit a sprite walking on the bridge above or so.

I edited my post above while you gave this reply, I gave some information how to alter the morning star gfx; please read it again in case you haven't.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sat 7 Sep 2013 - 18:55

Hey conn, since I just implemented the menu from gates of darkness into my rom the goldstar graphics no longer appear. I'm assuming this is similar to the PU menu since it has a different location. Whenever you get the time could you help me so it shows up in the menu?
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 7:06

I can take a look at it (send the rom with explanation where to find the chests to con.s@gmx.de). Though this is strange since the hookshot should be at the same address - but maybe I'm wrong.
What exactly isn't working? Is the goldstar showing up when taking it out of chest and when using the hookshot and you just need to regain the menu gfx?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 8:35

Alright I've sent you the email. As I said it is the 8 bit version that doesn't work in the menu but the normal sprite itself does. Thanks in advance for this conn Very Happy
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 9:20

Thanks, received it. I think it is not difficult to fix, the menu is only rearranged and I'd need to point to new tiles I guess. The problem I see is that Euclid's menu is pretty crowded and I need some free space for the morning star tiles (currently they overwrite pendants). Any suggestions?

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 9:24

You can leave it over pendants, that text will never actually be seen in the game since the startup patch skips me to part 2 where it says charms (crystals). I put it there on purpose
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 9:40

Ah, no got a solution: the boomerang at the very bottom isn't used (Euclid has his own item code. I'll remap it there.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 9:58

say, did you use zcompress to get the gfx stabilized over pendants? If yes you should restore it to native "pendants" after I released my fix
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 10:02

Yeah I did, so ill restore it.
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 14:40

I'm finished so far:

You'll find a order with "24items".

Notes to use:
1. apply native fb_gs.ips
2. add the 24 items menu
3. apply the 24_items_fix.ips from the new order
4. Replace the "boom" tiles with the 8bit.bin included (in contrast to native ALTTP, Euclid's menu makes this necessary)
Read everything explained in the attached word file (24_itemfix.docx).

Puzz, could you also check whether it works for you?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 15:35

The morning star weapon for Link - Page 2 Uj1SMHp
Success Very Happy Seriously conn, you are the best!
scawful
scawful

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 8 Sep 2013 - 16:00

This is great, it works. The first time I see Morning star in the 24-item menu.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next