What determines respawn location?

Go down

What determines respawn location? Empty What determines respawn location?

Post by GweiloGopher Thu 19 Jul 2018 - 22:01

Hello everyone,

After playing through every ALTTP hack I could find, I'm trying my hand at creating my own. Second dungeon in (pendant dungeon 2), I sort of backed myself into a corner and ended up using a room that was adjacent to the dungeon I was changing (the dungeon starts at room 214, I expanded into 215). Everything appeared to work fine when playtesting, I didn't lose my keys/big key, etc. However, when I die I respawn at a different location. Is there a way to "assign" room 215 to pendant dungeon 2 in HM? I have read through Orichimaru's guide and did not see it anywhere.

Much appreciated,
GG

GweiloGopher

What determines respawn location? Image213

Since : 2018-07-12

Back to top Go down

What determines respawn location? Empty Re: What determines respawn location?

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 7:36

I think 215 is one of the clone rooms. I advise avoid editing that room unless you know what you are doing. you can change the starting entrance. it should be listed under dungeon properties.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Since : 2015-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 8:41

GweiloGopher wrote:Hello everyone,

After playing through every ALTTP hack I could find, I'm trying my hand at creating my own. Second dungeon in (pendant dungeon 2), I sort of backed myself into a corner and ended up using a room that was adjacent to the dungeon I was changing (the dungeon starts at room 214, I expanded into 215). Everything appeared to work fine when playtesting, I didn't lose my keys/big key, etc. However, when I die I respawn at a different location. Is there a way to "assign" room 215 to pendant dungeon 2 in HM? I have read through Orichimaru's guide and did not see it anywhere.

Much appreciated,
GG
Yes, it is automatic.
However the pendant-2 dungeon doesn't start in room 214.

I'm assuming you speak of Eastern Palace (which is dungeon for pendant-1 ie green pendant). Light world is: intro dungeon, pendant 1, 2, 3 and Agahnim. Thus Pendant-1 dungeon starts in room 201. You must enter here, since this room is the one you will spawn to after death and once defeating the boss, this room will be checked again. (Entrance room can be changed but not so easy).

Once entered in room 201. You can normally expand the dungeon from 216 into 215 (but not 214), you just need to detwin the room, ie click yes when prompted that: "The data is reused, modify this room's data only?" The same for room-header properties, but this might bug the Rom due to not enough space for header.

However room 214 is Crytsal dungeon 7 starting room, so you can not so easily connect 215 and 214 into one dungeon, although it is possible, just need to then find alternate entrance room if 214 should be pendant-1 dungeon. Or easier: expand Crystal-7 from 214 to 215 (doable, but detwin and complete change of room-header needed on room 215).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 9:38

so when it comes to detwinning, is it safe to edit the room? the current HM does not require the "hex glue" does it?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 12:11

wizzrobemaster wrote:so when it comes to detwinning, is it safe to edit the room?  the current HM does not require the "hex glue" does it?
It is always safe to detwin the room by data, but not by header, unless you are using the HM which can move room-header data. In this case you can use "unlimited" room header and thus detwin all rooms by room-header. You could in theory also detwin all rooms by data, but it was proven by Euclid, that HM will eventually give you "out of space" for data. This then means that around 10-15 percent of all rooms should remain empty, which doesn't stop you from editing empty rooms, you just need to maintain that procentage of empty rooms simply to avoid "out of space" message.

With the hex gluing method you can also detwin all rooms by data and then fill them completely, even the rooms not displayed in HM which are from 296 to 319. But eveything above 255 can not be a dungeon, or at least it was planed to be houses and cave, and the connection must not exist between the 0-255 area and 296-319 area. Thus you can not warp from 230 to room 270 for example.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Fri 20 Jul 2018 - 21:32

for rooms after 255, can you have a mini-dungeon that is still coded as part of that main dungeon? for example, if I made a 4 room mini-dungeon with a single exit, then can I still have it listed as part of hyrule castle despite being completely irrelevant to the main entrances?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 10:16

wizzrobemaster wrote:for rooms after 255, can you have a mini-dungeon that is still coded as part of that main dungeon? for example, if I made a 4 room mini-dungeon with a single exit, then can I still have it listed as part of hyrule castle despite being completely irrelevant to the main entrances?
Yes. The game sees the "dungeon" as the dungeon definition, which is defined when you enter an entrance. This is suitable (for instance) for hiding dungeon keys all over the overworld caves, which was first utilized by Euclid when he hid Parallel Tower keys all over the cave of the overworld.

Of course the above 255 rooms can not link directly to 0-255. You also can not enter in area 0-255 and exit in above 255. But you can still use the entrace-exit yellow entrance points to define them as a dungeon. Of course you need to enter and exit at the same location/cave then.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 16:27

Okay so having my shrine idea could still work. perhaps that is where I can also apply optional keys in the dungeons.

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by GweiloGopher Sat 21 Jul 2018 - 21:09

Thank you all for your help, I'll try your suggestions (and be a little more careful in the future planning the size and scope of dungeons!)

GweiloGopher

Back to top Go down

Post by GweiloGopher Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 0:04

Running into another issue editing green pendant dungeon. I'm getting a game freezing glitch any time I'm using Statues and SpikeBlock in the same room (186). The Enemy Block is set to 17. Is there some sort of issue using these sprites in the same room? As for as I'm aware they exist together in at least a few rooms in the original ALTTP. Thanks again everyone!

GweiloGopher

Back to top Go down

Post by wizzrobemaster Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 5:35

You can only have one statue sprite. is this in the main entrance?

wizzrobemaster
Ganon
Ganon

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 9:52

Is there some sort of issue using these sprites in the same room?
No, the game should not be freezing over something so trivial as using the Statue and Spike sprites. It's probably Hyrule Magic bugging your rom because of the editing (and the rom is naturally stuffed up with data down to the last byte, so the program can not handle editing of such a file).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by GweiloGopher Sun 29 Jul 2018 - 11:39

Thank you for the replies. I've cleared out multiple existing dungeons and according to the ROM information, I should have room for sprites.

The game closing glitch occurs when I have statues with any other sprites. I can have multiple statues just fine, but can't have statues with any other sprites.

GweiloGopher

Back to top Go down