A Link to the Past: Retold

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 3 Empty A Link to the Past: Retold

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 3 Alttp-Retold

Patch Download v.1.40
Code:
https://mega.nz/file/gvJ0FaCY#H1Pc1fNYNAz9X7uqdcp3s8R45I5ipLumH4BPAV4Fngg

The patches need to be applied on ALTTP (US), no header. You need a UPS patcher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a few years late to the party. But here we go.

This is the result of 2 years of fiddling, tweaking, learning ASM and HEX, all to pull this off. I hope you enjoy.

This hack edits nearly every room(Visual edits mostly, layout stays the same), most dialogue, and many, many gameplay aspects of ALTTP.

Major changes:
-Any Dungeon, any order. You still need to get the three pendants first, but the order of the pendants, then later of the crystals, is 100% up to you.
-Items are no longer inside their respective dungeons. You will now have to explore, talk to NPCs, and venture off the beaten path to find items. (Think about how you find the Icerod)
-The combat difficulty has been increased. Significantly.
-Several shortcuts have been added to the overworld. (Like in A Link Between Worlds)
-Dialogue has been re-written while keeping the same overall messages in tack.
-Almost every single room has been visually redesigned with added detail.(Layouts are mostly the same) Just look at Link's house or Hyrule castle and you'll know what I mean.
-New sprites have been added while keeping to the original style. Nothing should stand out too much.
-Magic now regens, but it’s incredibly slow. This cuts down on frustration, but doesn’t make magical items fully OP.
-Pits no longer hurt you. This hack is intended to be played on mobile. Bad touch-screen controls should not be the reason you get a game over.

Also contains:
- Make Silver Arrows Double Fast By Conn
- The Legend of Zelda - DX By Puzzledude
- 24 Item Menu By Conn and Euclid
- Original sprites by Euclid, heavily modified by Kyim
- Original ALTTP bug fixes By MathOnNapkins and Conn
- Random and Special Treasure Dig Up By Conn
- Direction Change while running with Pegasus Boots By Conn/AST Team ^_^

Detailed Description:

Last edited by Kyim on Sun 14 May 2023 - 17:02; edited 36 times in total (Reason for editing : Fixed download link :-))
Kyim
Kyim

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2019-05-08

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

A Link to the Past: Retold :: Comments

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 6:17 by Moldorm

This does not work for me. I patched it to an original clean LTTP rom and it just doesn't load.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 6:37 by dragonfly1989

ok so I downloaded this hack today and good damn it gives me the old alttp vibes. Died more than I want to admit in Hyrule castle since Blue guards deal 3 hearts dmg. Now I got to Kakariko village and thats were it went broken. The pub (or whatever the building is called where you get a bottle in the back) is already broken. But at least the doors work to get in and out. Then I want to get the bug net from the sick kid (or whatever he has now) and now I'm stuck in a wall

A Link to the Past: Retold - Page 3 Unbenanntgwjqw

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 8:15 by Puzzledude

Yeah, I noticed. In 1.37 some Kakariko houses are broken, yet the menu is ok. This is the rom I got when patching. No idea what happened here. Unless the author uploads his original version of the (working) hack, there's nothing I can do here (actually I can debug the houses, but no need if there is a version out there which has this and the menu fixed alredy and the problem was simply at creating a patch).

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 8:28 by slartifer

Really excited to play this.  It seems like it would be good to get 1.35 linked again, though.  (Or should it be 1.36?) The menu bug, if I understand right, is solely graphical and has no impact once you begin playing, whereas the room bug that seems to have replaced it actually interferes with gameplay.  Right?

EDIT: Also, slightly confused on the versioning.  The file currently attached to this thread says it is 1.37 on all filenames, but the changelog in the readme includes a change listed as 1.38 ("Patch redone and fixed by Puzzledude!")

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 10:00 by edale

Well... there's making things more challenging, and there's it taking me an hour to get to Zelda in the castle's dungeon, following a path I know inside and out and can clear in like 5 min without taking any damage... because I keep dying.

Seriously 6-8 hits (seems random just how many hits it takes) to kill a green guard?! The blue guards killing you in one hit?!

It feels like I'm playing a Mario Maker super-expert troll level... A version with a slightly reduced difficulty, at least for the starting area before you can actually do anything to build yourself up, would be nice.

Oh, and bug: go into the enchanted forest (the one the master sword is in) from the top-left of screen with the lumberjacks, and enter the tree trunk path going north that's right after the entrance....and everything glitches out, the music you'd get when playing one of the minigames plays, but the background is all glitched and you can't move. You need to reset the game to get out of it.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 11:28 by Puzzledude

Ok, fixed these houses.
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5365

Bugged were rooms
those could be debugged
affected entrances are 3C (forest),3E,3F,40,42,43,44 (village houses)

but 291, 294 can not be debugged
thus seek entrance: is 6C,71,72
6C is lake, 71 is by Links house, 72 is desert
decided to substitute for fairy (easy solution, but it works)
thus substituted entrances 6C,71,72 for 5E to correctly exit if in any new area.

Thus all in all 6 HM-rooms with 10 entrances were bugged, all debugged now (with mostly pragmatic debugging solutions).

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 15:03 by dragonfly1989

great work. Since I could get the bug net now the game is much more playable. important is that the old save file needs to be completely deleted

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 15:35 by Puzzledude

Moldorm wrote:This does not work for me. I patched it to an original clean LTTP rom and it just doesn't load.
You probably patched to the headered rom (if it doesn't load at all), and you should patch to non-headered rom (ie the one with 1024KB instead of 1025KB). Must also be US and not for instance EU, JP etc.

important is that the old save file needs to be completely deleted
That's usually the case, since the old save might conflict with the new version of the rom.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 16:01 by dragonfly1989

Puzzledude wrote:
important is that the old save file needs to be completely deleted
That's usually the case, since the old save might conflict with the new version of the rom.

still wanted to test it xD Only need the fire rod to complete the game so it truly is clearable now. Good work and thanks for the fast patch/debug of the houses.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed 22 May 2019 - 17:35 by edale

Reading over the thread, it seems a lot of the problems people have had could be avoided simply by including the CRC of the ROM to be patched in the patches readme.

That or use BPS, rather than IPS patches, as BPS will only patch if the CRC of the target ROM is correct.

ROM version: Non-headered US release
Unpatched ROM's CRC32 = 777AAC2F

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 3:11 by Conn

Awesome Puzz, so 1.39 is now bugfree?

I updated the first post with your 1.39 link - I do usually not like to stir into other people's post, so I left the corrupt 1.37 there as well attached and hope Kyim will take care of this once he's back.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 3:19 by Puzzledude

ROM version: Non-headered US release
Unpatched ROM's CRC32 = 777AAC2F
It is the general consensus, that this rom is the one used when making patches.

Awesome Puzz, so 1.39 is now bugfree?
Yes, but these were quite pragmatic debugs (which means fast and could be better, but it works). The game might now also have one less heartpiece than intended.

Too bad I don't have the 1.35 or 1.36 to check how the houses were there.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 3:51 by Wolfcat

Do you want to me to upload the 1.35 ips file for this hack?, If so I can upload though:
https://send.firefox.com/

if that is OK?, but it only allows one download at a time for free.

I PMed Conn the file, so if he gets it then he can share the file with you, unless you want me to share it here?, but it will only be up 24 hours and downloadable once.

Back to top Go down

sinistra

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 4:28 by sinistra

Or use dropbox.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 5:50 by edale

Or use mega.nz
Puzzledude wrote:
It is the general consensus, that this rom is the one used when making patches.
True, and yet I see a sizable chunk of posts in the thread stemmed from it being patched to either the wrong ROM, or a headered ROM.

Here's a fun bug.

My character was named "Edale"
I just beat Agahnim after getting the Master Sword, and in his parting speech, he calls my character "CCC66C".
Sahasrahla also calls my character "CCC66C" in his communication to you right after being sent to the Dark World.

So either those 2 text boxes are reading my name wrong, or something changed the bytes where my name was stored...

A Save & Quit shows my save file is still named "Edale", in case that helps figure out the problem. (I'm not sure if the save/reload corrected the problem or if it'll persist the next time someone tries to say my name, but I have a savestate where Agannim calls me that, so I can probably test it later on...)

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 9:18 by dragonfly1989

So I just finished this hack. All heart pieces can be collected without any problems. In Turtle Rock you cant proceed north from the room with the big chest as soon as you open it. But you can walk through the surrounding rooms. No game breaking problem.

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 10:17 by Puzzledude

Ok, transfered the correct houses and caves (rooms 256, 257, 258, 259, 291, 294) from 1.35 to 1.40. And thus reverted entrances 6C,71,72 back to normal.

Retold 1.40
http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=5366

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 11:51 by slartifer

So I've played through the bulk of the light world save Agahnim, and while I do like this hack, I think that it's misleading when the description says "Almost every single room has been redesigned with added detail".  It mentions "every room" having been changed in two different places, actually -- makes it seem like the biggest piece of the hack.

But at least so far, the vast, VAST majority of rooms have been identical to the original, but with one or two extra decorative items like cracks.  I can only think of one with an actual gameplay-relevant edit (the Armos boss room).  That's really it.  "Adding generic decorative elements" is not the same thing as "redesigning."

This is a good hack.  I like this hack.  I just think it's better to start playing with appropriate expectations.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 12:10 by Conn

@puzz, Updated first post

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 14:39 by edale

slartifer wrote:So I've played through the bulk of the light world save Agahnim, and while I do like this hack, I think that it's misleading when the description says "Almost every single room has been redesigned with added detail".  It mentions "every room" having been changed in two different places, actually -- makes it seem like the biggest piece of the hack.

But at least so far, the vast, VAST majority of rooms have been identical to the original, but with one or two extra decorative items like cracks.  I can only think of one with an actual gameplay-relevant edit (the Armos boss room).  That's really it.  "Adding generic decorative elements" is not the same thing as "redesigning."

This is a good hack.  I like this hack.  I just think it's better to start playing with appropriate expectations.
I don't think you understand how hard graphical hacks are to make... And quite a few of the graphical edits I've noticed were actually very well thought out and detail oriented.

I actually would say that the graphical changes are one of the bigger elements of the mod, and there probably was significantly more time spent on the graphical mods than pretty much everything else, save maybe the rebalancing.

Not all mods have to be gameplay-relevant.

Back to top Go down

Post Thu 23 May 2019 - 16:28 by slartifer

Absolutely! Graphical mods are cool too. And all the graphical changes may well be the biggest piece of the hack. I just don't think "nearly every room has been redesigned" communicates that. If it were communicated clearly, it would (1) attract more people who will love it, and (2) not result in people like me being disappointed -- in what is clearly an excellent piece of work -- because they were expecting something else.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 7:07 by Moldorm

Is nobody going to answer my comment? It's not working. Game is black screen, doesn't load. I patched correctly. Help?

Back to top Go down

Puzzledude

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 7:21 by Puzzledude

Moldorm wrote:Is nobody going to answer my comment? It's not working. Game is black screen, doesn't load. I patched correctly. Help?
I guess you missed my answer.
Just patch my 1.40 ips (.ips file) with LunarIPS to ALTTP US non headered rom with file CRC-32= 777AAC2F (.smc file) and it will work.

Puzzledude wrote:
Moldorm wrote:This does not work for me. I patched it to an original clean LTTP rom and it just doesn't load.
You probably patched to the headered rom (if it doesn't load at all), and you should patch to non-headered rom (ie the one with 1024KB instead of 1025KB). Must also be US and not for instance EU, JP etc.

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 25 May 2019 - 7:36 by edale

https://www.zeldix.net/t1263-snesstuff-hacking-tool-v-1-2-1

This tool will let you add/remove the header from a ROM.

And I believe the standard that most ROM archivers prefer is .smc files for headered ROMs, and .sfc files for non-headered ROMs. You most definitely CAN'T take this as a solid indicator either way though.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next