Shin Megami Tensei

Go down

Shin Megami Tensei Empty Shin Megami Tensei

Post by bsinky Fri 13 Aug 2021 - 14:29

Aside from being the first MSU-1 patch I've done, this is also the first ROM hack I've ever worked on! I didn't check the tools section here until way too late, and probably could have saved a lot of time and headaches in PCM conversion by using some of the conversion tools here instead of fighting with wav2msu and Audacity myself. Oh well.

This is in a beta stage now since there hasn't been a completed playthrough with MSU-1 audio from start to finish, but I tested a several different points throughout the game with save file backups and didn't find any issues. SPC fallback is working if your emulator doesn't support MSU-1 audio. The only remaining issue I know of is missing PCM track fallback.

You can find the current release here: https://github.com/bsinky/SMT-MSU1/releases/latest

Apply the IPS patch to a ROM without a copier header.

Check README.txt in the release .zip for more ROM compatibility information, but it should be pretty compatible with other hacks. I've tested applying the v0.2 IPS patch to a ROM already patched with Orden's 1.0 AGTP English translation fixes and Revenant's 1.3 Automap hack, and it worked.

Project source tree: https://github.com/bsinky/SMT-MSU1

Complete PCM Sets

Complete PS1 PCM Set: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e7ry5hbmqoodryl/smt-psx-pcm-set.zip/file

WIP/In-complete PCM Sets

Partial SMT IV PCM set: https://www.mediafire.com/file/8dalmpybuqd967x/smt-iv-pcm-set-WIP.zip/file

Partial SMT NINE PCM set: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yjax69lpl1qv6t9/smt-nine-pcm-set-WIP.zip/file

Partial SMT Rock Remix PCM set: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0co8wpbcmunc25n/smt-rock-remix-pcm-set-WIP.zip/file

PCM index spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kIF8eNLtue9NzaJMcx6zpuskz8ZOCvzxvtXAGqzZaVw/edit?usp=sharing

I don't have a SNES or SD2SNES, so I can't say whether it works on real hardware. If you test on a SNES, please let me know how it goes!

Edit: v0.2 adds in changes to (hopefully) improve the experience with SD2SNES

It'd be really cool if a complete PCM set was made featuring tracks from SMT IV, NINE, and other later games in the series with their own takes on the original SMT OST. Like how "Name Entry" in SMT NINE is an updated version of "Dream" from the SNES OST, for example. It seems like enough SMT games have their own riffs on the SNES OST that it's doable, I just lost steam, hence all the incomplete PCM links above.

Last edited by Relikk on Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 14:39; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : v0.2)
bsinky
bsinky

Shin Megami Tensei Image111

Since : 2021-08-10

Back to top Go down

Shin Megami Tensei Empty Re: Shin Megami Tensei

Post by Polargames Fri 13 Aug 2021 - 22:08

CONGRATS and WELCOME first off, and its nice to meet our new coder. My name is Polar. I understand that this patch of yours is beta, but nice job. I look forward to you next patch if you decide to make one that is. :-) I hope you have a great day. :-)
Polargames
Polargames

Shin Megami Tensei Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by MadK9 Sat 14 Aug 2021 - 15:46

Nice work, but i have tried everything i know, and i cant get the patch to apply.

I took the base rom 1.0 applied the translation, bugfix and the automap mods and i confirmed these patches working, then i tried to apply yours, and i could only ever get the base smt-msu-1-j-v0.1.bps to apply to the stock rom, i tried all different ways to get it working to no avail.

tried on

Name: Shin Megami Tensei (Japan).sfc
Size: 1572864 bytes (1536 KiB)
CRC32: 90DE2C78

While im pretty sure i have all the correct patches, could i ask you to put links to the Translation/Bugfix and Automod in the readme, just to make sure i do have the correct ones. This is pretty much the first msu-1 game i've had an issue with patching.

Cheers in advance.

MadK9

Since : 2018-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bsinky Sat 14 Aug 2021 - 22:07

MadK9 wrote:Nice work, but i have tried everything i know, and i cant get the patch to apply.

I took the base rom 1.0 applied the translation, bugfix and the automap mods and i confirmed these patches working, then i tried to apply yours, and i could only ever get the base smt-msu-1-j-v0.1.bps to apply to the stock rom, i tried all different ways to get it working to no avail.

tried on

Name: Shin Megami Tensei (Japan).sfc
Size: 1572864 bytes (1536 KiB)
CRC32: 90DE2C78

While im pretty sure i have all the correct patches, could i ask you to put links to the Translation/Bugfix and Automod in the readme, just to make sure i do have the correct ones. This is pretty much the first msu-1 game i've had an issue with patching.

Cheers in advance.

Maybe this isn't typical, but the other patches I listed in my readme are included in the BPS patches I generated. You don't need to apply them in addition to the MSU-1 patch, because they're already there.

smt-msu-1-j-combined-v0.1.bps should be applied to the stock ROM, and once it's applied you should have english translation+fixes+automap+MSU-1. Was that not working either?

Let me know if that sounds weird, I can package the v1.0 differently when it's done, I'm just new to releasing these. Thanks for the feedback!
bsinky
bsinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 15 Aug 2021 - 4:06

Congrats from my side as well. We have all a different coding style and I cannot say much in regards to your source code except it looks nice and professional.

On thing  jumped into my eyes is this:
Code:
.SetVolumeAndPlayTrack
lda #$FF
sta !MSU_VOLUME
sta !MSU_TRACK
This will result in a buzz on sd2snes since the sd2snes will remain in the track load routine a while and if you have full volume there, it gives a horrible noise.

You'd need to rearrange the code here to:

lda #$FF
sta !MSU_VOLUME

stZ !MSU_VOLUME (mute volume with STZ)
stz !FadeVolume
.... (wait loop and that stuff

lda #$01 ; Set audio state to play, no repeat
sta !MSU_CONTROL
lda #$FF (full volume here)
sta !MSU_VOLUME
bra .Return
.SetMSUStateToPlay
lda #$03 ; Set audio state to play, with repeat.
sta !MSU_CONTROL
lda #$FF (full volume here)
sta !MSU_VOLUME

-------------------------------------------------------
I tested with Shin Megami Tensei (Japan) (Rev 1).sfc and none of your patches was applyable but Shin Megami Tensei (Japan).sfc worked Smile
I compared your hook addresses between rev0 and rev1, and they are the same. If you release the patches as ips (instead bps), they should work on either version. Dunno with the english translation here (if that works on both), but in doubt you can make also 2 sets of bps patches (1.0 and 1.1).
Conn
Conn

Shin Megami Tensei Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by bsinky Sun 15 Aug 2021 - 9:47

Conn wrote:Congrats from my side as well. We have all a different coding style and I cannot say much in regards to your source code except it looks nice and professional.

On thing  jumped into my eyes is this:
Code:
.SetVolumeAndPlayTrack
lda #$FF
sta !MSU_VOLUME
sta !MSU_TRACK
This will result in a buzz on sd2snes since the sd2snes will remain in the track load routine a while and if you have full volume there, it gives a horrible noise.

Thank you so much for this, notes like this on SD2SNES compatibility are really appreciated! So for the best sound on SD2SNES the volume should be muted whenever changing the MSU-1 track? I can get this implemented in a future version.

Maybe I should just distribute the MSU-1 patch as IPS instead of BPS. I went with BPS because I thought it'd be nice that the format contained more checks to make sure the patches worked as intended, but it seems to just be causing more headaches with the 2 revisions of this game that exist, and the other patches needed to play it in English. Embarassed Another problem might be that I'm using an old version of the automap patch, 1.0 instead of the current version which is like...1.3 or something. That's just what I had pre-patched to my ROM, but new people trying to get everything set up won't be using that version.

Edit: Oh, also AFAIK the English translation (both the original and Orden's addendum) are only compatible with the original ROM, not the revision.

Last edited by bsinky on Sun 15 Aug 2021 - 9:58; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add note on ENG translation compatibility)
bsinky
bsinky

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 15 Aug 2021 - 12:43

You are welcome Smile But this was little. I only took a small glimpse at your code and gave my 2 cents on it.
If you need any help, don't hestitate to ask.

It's up to you how to release the patch. If there is no english translation for the Rev1, I think there is no avail of release a patch for it.

When you think you are done, feel free to release it in our msu database Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by bsinky Sun 15 Aug 2021 - 19:20

v0.2 that I just uploaded has a few more fixes, and contains an IPS patch instead of the BPS patches, that should (hopefully) be a lot easier to work with.

If you're still interested in giving this a try and had issues before, try downloading v0.2. Thanks! Smile
bsinky
bsinky

Back to top Go down

Post by MadK9 Tue 17 Aug 2021 - 18:42

bsinky wrote:
Maybe this isn't typical, but the other patches I listed in my readme are included in the BPS patches I generated. You don't need to apply them in addition to the MSU-1 patch, because they're already there.

smt-msu-1-j-combined-v0.1.bps should be applied to the stock ROM, and once it's applied you should have english translation+fixes+automap+MSU-1. Was that not working either?

Let me know if that sounds weird, I can package the v1.0 differently when it's done, I'm just new to releasing these. Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure what i was doing wrong, but your v2 worked fine for me, sorry to have troubled you in my first post. Thanks again

MadK9

Since : 2018-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 21 Aug 2021 - 4:41

Feel free to post it into our database:
https://www.zeldix.net/f71-msu-1-hacks-database
when you think you are done bsinky. You can also send post it already and in case users find bugs, simply update Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by bsinky Mon 23 Aug 2021 - 14:35

Conn wrote:Feel free to post it into our database:
https://www.zeldix.net/f71-msu-1-hacks-database
when you think you are done bsinky. You can also send post it already and in case users find bugs, simply update Wink

After some small updates, v1.0 added to the database Smile https://www.zeldix.net/t2353-shin-megami-tensei#39400
bsinky
bsinky

Back to top Go down