F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

V11 test results:

F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote10100%F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote11 100% 
[ 2 ]
F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote100%F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote11 0% 
[ 0 ]
F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote100%F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports I_vote11 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 2

2 posters

Poll closed

F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports Empty F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports

Post by Conn Sat 2 Mar 2024 - 15:42

Noone is giving feedbacks anymore to deluxe V4 so I decided to make a poll.

1. Apply https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/8437/
2. Apply below attached test_v6.ips

Download a pcm pack from https://www.zeldix.net/t2768-bs-f-zero-deluxe-msu-1

If you find a bug please comment it in this thread with your setup and description.

Please vote after checking the patch a while, since you cannot remove your votes once submitted. You can also multiple chooice click both (emu/sd2snes). sd2snes testings are more important

Last edited by Conn on Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 7:47; edited 7 times in total
Conn
Conn

F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports Image212

Since : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports Empty Re: F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports

Post by Conn Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 13:13

would be nice if we get some feedback from the sd2snes testers who reported buzzes (with video please) Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Xterra Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 23:45

OK, so I'm finding what amounts to a mix of a bug and an oversight, I suppose?

Method of play: Emulator, namely SNES9X 1.60 on Windows 7
ROM VERSION: US, correctly patched with Deluxe then the V4 patch
PCM SET: Custom, self-made, based on CosmicTailz' set. PCMs replace all "II", "III" and "IV" tracks plus all Forest, Metal Fort and Sand Storm tracks only, leaving all vanilla "I" tracks and singletons like Sand Ocean and Fire Field alone.
ISSUES:
-The emulator reports a bad checksum (as expected, it's a test version of the patch)
-The PCMs do not play in the Ace, GP Knight, GP Queen, GP King or GP Ace Leagues in GP mode, at least not on their respective Mute City tracks (the furthest I tested).
-Mute City II locked up and crashed the game when attempting to play it via the GP Queen league with the BS ships. Crash happens about half a second after the "GO" signal. When playing with the standard ships, the track works but **no** music plays on a first run, and on a retry all game audio fades into silence at the same point, when the PCM would cue up.
No issues when playing via timetrial or regular Queen League.

No other issues to report thus far.

Last edited by Xterra on Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 23:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fleshing out a thought better.)

Xterra
Bee
Bee

Since : 2024-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 1:02

thanks for the report, it's likely that i missed something when making the "deluxe" portion of this patch. i'll take a look at what might be going on.

edit: yep, missed that entirely..
Cubear
Cubear

F-Zero Deluxe Poll bug reports Image211

Since : 2021-11-17

https://www.patreon.com/Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Xterra Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 1:59

Cubear wrote:thanks for the report, it's likely that i missed something when making the "deluxe" portion of this patch. i'll take a look at what might be going on.

edit: yep, missed that entirely..

It happens.
I'm glad I was able to help in some way. Thanks to everyone involved once again for their work. :-)

Xterra
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 2:00

i should have a v5 for testing up in a bit. just need to make a new table for the second set of GPs lol
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 4:00

V5 patch attached to this post

changes:
Added 80 bytes of new table for the alternate circuits in GP mode
moved code in bank 0b slightly to accommodate new table.
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Xterra Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 4:27

Cubear wrote:V5 patch attached to this post

changes:
Added 80 bytes of new table for the alternate circuits in GP mode
moved code in bank 0b slightly to accommodate new table.

I'd say this one's ready for prime-time. Ran into no issues in the testing I tried.

Xterra
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 8:39

give the vote Wink now only a sd2snes is missing then. Thanks cubear! Also put v5 into OP
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Xterra Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 12:04

Conn wrote:give the vote Wink now only a sd2snes is missing then. Thanks cubear! Also put v5 into OP

Already done so. :-)

Xterra
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 9:22

Hello! I made this account earlier to download V5, and have been testing it on my SD2SNES on a SNES Jr. using CosmicTailz expanded soundtrack. I recorded some footage of it, which I will link in a moment, but I didn't vote in the survey yet because I wanted to ask about a "possible" bug I encountered.

In the practice mode, I noticed that the sound that plays when completing a lap is different on stages that are using the replacement soundtrack as opposed to stages that are using the original soundtrack. I notice this near the end of the video, so I encourage people to skip to those sections to see what I mean. I stopped recording before this, but I did confirm this happens with any stage that uses a replacement song, not just the BS stages, and that it does not happen when playing without the MSU-1 patch. Anyway, it's pretty minor, and if its some sort of technical limitation that comes with using replacement songs, or just me being dumb in some way, then I don't want to sound the "bug" alarm over it.

https://youtu.be/dTDSs_-s0WM?si=7B18OM-mhC28nXNP

As for the buzzing and other issues that were present in previous patches, I did not encounter any of them. Everything seems to work as expected, though I haven't played through everything.
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Since : 2024-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 12:32

Nice, that sd2snes seem to work seemingless. Your bug should also be present on emulators if it is one. Here I need J or cubear to take over... never really played the patch.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 17:13

i'll have a look into it. probably something simple i've overlooked.

e: the end of lap sound effects code seems to run identically between MSU1 and SPC700 music, so perhaps a different databank is loaded resulting in a different sfx?

this does seem to be an issue with the mute developed for this game..

i could try to make a new one, i suppose
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 12 Mar 2024 - 19:15

Version 6 is on original post with reseted poll. Cubear and I were working hard on it and did critical changes on the mute, so please ALL, pleaytest and submit your vote again.

Much thanks!
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Tue 12 Mar 2024 - 22:18

Well, I hate to say this, but V6 seems to have major issues on SD2SNES. On stages where there is no replacement music, the music does not play, while on the stages with replacement tracks, both the original game music and the new pcm track play simultaneously. Other sound effects seem to have issues too, like the main menu music gets distorted when going into records and exiting back. I also had an issue with the pre-race countdown not playing, but this was seemingly fixed by resetting my save data strangely enough. I also re-tested V5 by resetting my save, but it didn't change anything there. I tried creating multiple ROMs and each V6 exhibited the same behavior.

I didn't record everything, but here is a video demonstrating the main issue. Sorry about this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd3C7THQrJk
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 0:54

let's try one more thing before writing off the new mute..
it's possible that the program is getting confused with the ram we're using for storage being uninitialized..

uploaded a v7 to this post, but if this doesn't work i'll accept the incorrect lap sound as unavoidable and we'll publish V5 as the patch on the site, i think
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 1:31

Well, things are a little different. I can't trigger the muted music anymore, but the double music tracks still happen. Interestingly, I discovered in practice mode, if I just go straight to Forrest 1, its the double music, but hitting select to go to Big Blue 2, then back to Forrest seems to fix it? Other sound effects, including the main menu music and end of race theme, still seem to come and go, or play but are missing half the instruments. Things have changed, as I went back to V6 to confirm the menu trick doesn't fix the music there. I did record video if there's interest, but its pretty similar to the V6 stuff so I didn't bother uploading it yet.

Sorry this is the news I have. I feel bad even bringing that lap sound bug up now, considering how few people would actually notice it.
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 1:45

incorrect sfx was already noted by another user, don't worry.

I think v5 is acceptable. People have lived with the incorrect lap sfx for 9 years or so now in MSU1 patches, they can deal with 9 more Smile

thank you for your testing.
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 2:57

Thank you and Conn for all the work that went into this! Having the missing BS tracks wouldn't be nearly as exciting to me without an MSU-1 patch to accompany it!
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 7:30

I don't give up yet. Should be an easy fix:
Code:
;Conn fix 2
STZ $2006
BIT $2000
BVS pending       ; if not ready loop
So I set to BVS to pending instead prior !MutedAPUFlag (end2:), that most likely lead to this bug

Code:
end2:
LDA !MutedAPU
cmp #$01 ; 01=muted spc on
pending:
BNE $03
LDA $46
RTL
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 7:46

Stupid mistake:
pending:
LDA $46
RTL
must be below bne $03

please use v9
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 8:00

mmh, if I mimic sd2snes behaviour on bsnes it plays double (spc and msu). Sad guess it still bugs, right?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 8:21

Sorry for the late reply, was trying to be thorough in my testing, but yeah it's still bugging, though something certainly has changed.

Upon first booting everything seemed fine. Going into practice mode, I was unable to trigger the muted music bug on Mute City at first, so I moved on to Forest 1, where it also worked at first, until I ended the race and selected try again, which triggered the double music. Exiting out and going back to Mute City, and the music was now gone. Exiting back to the main menu, the music was now distorted.

As a final test I reset my save data and tried again, but the same bugs could be triggered in the same ways.

Last edited by Wiggle_Otter on Wed 13 Mar 2024 - 8:23; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Cubear Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 3:10

If conn's not giving up neither will I. try this new v10, reworked the APU code some, tests good on snes9x, bsnes, mesen..  so here's hoping SD2SNES follows suit.
Cubear
Cubear

Back to top Go down

Post by Wiggle_Otter Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 4:53

Alright, after spending some time with V10, I was only able to find one bug, and its a new one. I tried triggering any of the previous ones, like missing or double music, messed up menu music, and all of them seem to be solved this time around. The remaining bug is when doing Grand Prix, every time you complete a race, it plays the extra life sound effect, and if you actually got an extra life at the end, it plays it twice. Sometimes the sound effect cuts off prematurely, but there's not an obvious tell as to what causes that to happen. I did confirm this seems to happen no matter the league, and no matter what position you finish in.

Last edited by Wiggle_Otter on Thu 14 Mar 2024 - 4:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammer)
Wiggle_Otter
Wiggle_Otter
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next