Public Service Announcement

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Public Service Announcement Empty Public Service Announcement

Post by Founder Sat 16 Feb 2013 - 18:54

I've invited GameMakr24 to this board a while back, was much interested in helping him out in whatever way possible regarding the development of Quest for Calatia. Today, after waiting patiently for an answer, I've finally received one Wink
GameMakr24 wrote:Hi SePH!

Yeah, I guess we haven't actually emailed before, though I also know you as well. Sorry for not responding sooner -- I've been really sick. I look forward to jumping into the new community you've set up. I will return to this game someday; thanks for being patient! Let everyone know I'm still alive, lol!
Let's all pray, he gets back in shape and gets well soon as I for one, can't wait to work with him on Zelda 3 hacking related topics!

Founder

Public Service Announcement Image212

Since : 2012-06-19

Back to top Go down

Public Service Announcement Empty Re: Public Service Announcement

Post by Erockbrox Sat 18 May 2013 - 0:58

I have personally developed many new ideas for Zelda 3 hacking after working on them for a period of around 5 years.

I was doing this because I was wanting Quest for Calatia to be the next BIG Zelda 3 rom hack, but it is taking Zack F-O-R-E-V-E-R to complete basic parts of his own hack.

Zack you are a great guy, but if you want Quest for Calatia to actually be finished one day. You are going to have to get on here and collaborate with the other fellow Zelda 3 hackers.

We should all be wanting to help get this game finished. Come on Zack.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Public Service Announcement Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Sat 18 May 2013 - 1:34

Hello Erockbrox, thanks for dropping by, I hope you'll take a look at the faq I'm building which contains your sprite list among other interesting parts. I haven't ported everything yet, as your file is quite huge and there's lot to document, but I'll get down to it eventually.

I've been waiting for Calatia for at least ten years and still drop by on his site from time to time. If there's one hack I wouldn't mind helping, it's probably his. But since you know him more then us, you could probably encourage him more to come over here, then me at any rate (for exemple in ten years I've like only posted to him twice).

I do believe that creating an hack of Zelda 3 alone is an heavy burden on our shoulders so I do give him an applause for keeping up with us even though he made a family and all. I know that if I were in his shoes I'd probably have stopped working on my hack long long ago Razz

Hopefully, he'll get back to business eventually, he's like the "Duke Nukem Forever" of Zelda 3 hacks I mean, longest Zelda 3 hack in devellopement!

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 18 May 2013 - 15:11

Maybe GameMakr24 could use some help or something. Since I know he's working 5 days a week and is spending time with his family on weekends, so practicaly no time for game modding. I also know he made some amazing custom gfx and that someone made a lot of new sprite gfx (also bosses) for him.

He also made a complete list of all the overworld blocks and a program to determine what fits together, and a custom excel based editor for overworlds. But he clearly stated, that all the custom gfx and custom programs are "his toy".

So it is a strange feeling that those programs and gfx are standing somewhere and can't be used by others and yet the author himself doesn't "use" them, because of the lack of time. 10 years and more in the developement is a logical result.

I still hope he will finish it someday, or at least find a worthy successor(s) to entrust his work to him and let him finish/continue the project.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Public Service Announcement Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 5 Jun 2013 - 2:01

Puzzledude wrote:Maybe GameMakr24 could use some help or something. Since I know he's working 5 days a week and is spending time with his family on weekends, so practicaly no time for game modding. I also know he made some amazing custom gfx and that someone made a lot of new sprite gfx (also bosses) for him.

He also made a complete list of all the overworld blocks and a program to determine what fits together, and a custom excel based editor for overworlds. But he clearly stated, that all the custom gfx and custom programs are "his toy".

So it is a strange feeling that those programs and gfx are standing somewhere and can't be used by others and yet the author himself doesn't "use" them, because of the lack of time. 10 years and more in the developement is a logical result.

I still hope he will finish it someday, or at least find a worthy successor(s) to entrust his work to him and let him finish/continue the project.

I spent many years coming up with new ideas for Quest for Calatia. Zack needs to either finish it or ask for help from the fellow members here to help finish it.

Actually I just sent him a text the other day telling him that he needs to come to this forum and post updates on what he is working on and that we should all just help get this hack finished. 10 years and its not done. How many more years do we need to wait?!?!?! Its been long enough I think we all just need to chip in and get that DAMN hack finished.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Euclid Thu 6 Jun 2013 - 18:58

I've been waiting for it for so long as well =(

I'm pretty much in the same boat as him after PW was released (except the wife and kids part) - a full time job really takes time out of you to do anything which requires lots of intensive thinking and coordinating.
Euclid
Euclid

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Thu 6 Jun 2013 - 20:39

I have to agree with you Euclid, having a full time job really steals most of your free time. This reminds me that back when I worked on PW, I had no job and were still going to school, enjoying long summer breaks romhacking this game...

At any rate, sometimes I feel like my current hack could still last many more years before getting complete since I have practically no free time for rom hacking, have hundred of games to play (that I've skipped due to having been stuck on this game for so long)...

Then there's world of warcraft which steals most of my time. Ninety-six days of playtime is almost a course at school or the average time it takes me to finish a good part of an hack.

When it's not WoW or games, family and freinds are always there to make sure I can't progress at all in my hack. My mother saw me hack this game for the past ten years (still stuck in my moms basement lol) and thinks I'll never finish it.. she actually thinks I've been hacking the same hack all that time lol

And what could I say about most of my friends that think I'm wasting my time on a 20 years old game (time to evolve they keep saying...). So while I haven't build a family like my younger brothers YET, I can totally undertand GameMakr situation and if I were in his shoes I'd probably either quit or continue at for as long as it takes. (real life goes first, anyway).. and it's not like we can do anything about it, peer pressure is about the last thing he needs to get it done.

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sun 9 Jun 2013 - 7:17

SePH wrote:.. and it's not like we can do anything about it, peer pressure is about the last thing he needs to get it done.

Well, my idea is not really to peer pressure the hack to be finished, but rather help out when needed. I know Zack has gotten stuck on some ASM issues and if he posted what he was working on at least there are many knowledgeable Z3 hackers here that could offer their resources to aid the Calatia Hack so that it gets completed within our lifetimes.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Tue 11 Jun 2013 - 14:35

Well in that case, I don't see any reason for him not to join up. There's always a way to fix a problem/issue in that game. Sometimes multiple heads are better then one to solve all kind of problems. I don't think anyone on this very Earth could manage an whole hack of Zelda 3 on there own.

We all wish he gets it done eventually. The fact that his hack is mostly all planned out and only needs to be done in HM is somewhat good. I know for a fact he's done more monologue in that game then I'll ever do in mine.

Not only that but what I'm mostly impressed is that he took the time to actually build new structures from scratch (from paper sketchs to actually graphics he made up himself). That castle and bridge for exemple are really well though/made. His town with hookshot-able houses reminds me of Ocarina of Time.. it'd be a shame really to let all these ideas go...along with your ideas of course Very Happy

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 12 Jun 2013 - 14:04

SePH wrote:Well in that case, I don't see any reason for him not to join up. There's always a way to fix a problem/issue in that game. Sometimes multiple heads are better then one to solve all kind of problems. I don't think anyone on this very Earth could manage an whole hack of Zelda 3 on there own.

We all wish he gets it done eventually. The fact that his hack is mostly all planned out and only needs to be done in HM is somewhat good. I know for a fact he's done more monologue in that game then I'll ever do in mine.

Not only that but what I'm mostly impressed is that he took the time to actually build new structures from scratch (from paper sketchs to actually graphics he made up himself). That castle and bridge for exemple are really well though/made. His town with hookshot-able houses reminds me of Ocarina of Time.. it'd be a shame really to let all these ideas go...along with your ideas of course Very Happy

So I say this.

Please everyone on here write up a very nice and inviting e-mail to Zack (Gamemkr24) saying why coming here and posting updates/progress reports is a good idea.

His e-mail is: zack76 AT juno.com

That hack needs to be done and Zack hasn't done any progress in like 2 years. He needs some motivation and help because otherwise Quest for Calatia will never be finished.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 12 Jun 2013 - 16:48

I've send him a letter of encouragement, that's the least I could do since he's been my inspiraration for hacking this game. Without Quest For Calatia, I'd never hacked this game ever.. I'd probably be hacking mega man x instead lol (which could be where I'm heading next once I'm done with this game). But yeah, hacking Zelda 3 can lead to up and downs from time to time. I just wish he doesn't abandon, because I sincerely think his hack (that has been planned carefully all these years) could be done in record time with the proper motivation.

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 3:39

SePH, this is really funny because he actually didn't send that reply to me, but to you instead! He probably got confused because we both sent him encouraging e-mails. 

In fact, I'm willing to post my e-mail to him right here simply because I feel that it is appropriate in this situation as well as humorous.

I wrote:
Congrats on being a father to your family! Hope all is good.

I see that you updated your questforcalatia site and I see that you were quite sick there. What the heck did you get infected with???

Anyways... so I see that the Quest for Calatia project, one that I've been following and contributed to has come to basically a complete halt. 

I know that hacking a game this BIG is crazy for one person, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to help in the first place. In fact doing that entire hack is literally crazy!

I also know that you have been working on this project for like 10 years or more. That's a long time considering that an average persons life time is less than 100 years and its not even done yet.

So if I may ask... will the hack be done in another 10 years? 20 years?? 30??? .... NEVER!!?!?!?!

Anyway I'm afraid that this period of no progression on Quest for Calatia has to come to an end if you ever wish to get this hack finished.

My suggestion is to simply TEAM UP with the current Zelda 3 hacking community an order to progress back on track.

http://zeldix.forumotion.com/

That link above is a private Zelda 3 hacking forum.

My advice is to go onto that message board and simply post your progress and what is stumping you on the hack.

There are plenty of very knowledgeable people on that board and I'm sure that they are more than willing to help you out on whatever you are working on.

All I know is that working TOGETHER is better in this situation than working ALONE.

Also I wouldn't be e-mailing you suggesting this if you were making regular progress on the hack, but its been like 2 years with almost no progress!!!??? And because of that I'm saying that you are going to have to do SOMETHING or I'm afraid that Quest for Calatia will NEVER be completed until you probably RETIRE from your JOB when your like 60 or 70 years old and then all of the people who grew up playing this game that would appreciate a Zelda 3 hack will be DEAD and your hack will fade off into non existence. 

COME ON ZACK I KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO BETTER THAN THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 13:52

I have recently contacted Gammakr again to encourage him to join Zeldix and he responded to me and I sent the following e-mail back to him.

Erockbeox wrote:Now, as far as Zeldix goes, all you need really is a few minutes of free time to check out the message boards. In other words, by the time you finished reading this e-mail that I'm writing that's enough time to go on there and at least make a post saying Hi as well as just looking the various topics that exist.

Now, this is a PRIVATE Zelda 3 hacking forum, which means that only the members of that forum can see the posts so it's not available for the public to see. Almost all of the greatest and knowledgeable Zelda 3 hackers are there. For example, we just got a pretty new member named Conn and he was the one who worked on getting the Zelda 3 Ancient Stone Tablets that you played a while back. Conn is a ASM wizard! and he is just providing his help to anyone who needs help with their hack.

Some of the ASM hacks that have been made that are on there are outstanding! Which include:

Smashing pots with a sword

Ice Rod freezing shallow water that is walkable on

Pushable bricks that can be moved an infinite amount of times

No annoying beeping when your heats are low

Plus tons more!

Basically, if you're not on there you are OUT OF DATE and LIVING IN THE PAST. I'm also at the point to where I've almost lost my patients to the point where I just can't design for a game that is not currently being worked on anymore. There are other Zelda 3 hacks that are currently being worked on which I could easily be designing for. Do you really want me to have to go design for another hack? If not, then I please urge you to post some updates on there. I want to see this game one day come to a completion and also remember that I've been following and working this hack for like 5 years and we are supposed to be friends right? So please, do it for me, do it for everyone following this hack, do it for all of the people who will be playing your hack in the future and most importantly do it for yourself!

One last thing, it was agreed on Zeldix that a single person doing a complete Zelda 3 rom hack on their own is just down right crazy and too much for one person to handle. The only way Quest for Calatia will be completed is if we do this as a team and this team exists on Zeldix. Seph, Euclid, Puzzledude, Conn, Potentialing, Mathonnapkins and pretty much everyone else there are absolute experts on this game and have invaluable knowledge which will help Quest for Calatia succeed.

Teaming up on Zeldix will clearly be beneficial to Quest for Calatia and is the most logic choice here. In fact it would be stupid to not join. Why would anyone turn down the most valuable assistance you could ever wish for?

So what are you waiting for? The decision is clear. Don't waist anymore time fumbling around with Hyrule Magic and the rom by yourself.

All you have to do is click the link below and type in your user name and password! If you do not have a user name or password then e-mail Seph or I notify Seph him for you!

http://zeldix.forumotion.com/login

It will be the BEST decision you have ever made!

Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 29 Jul 2013 - 18:25

Agreed, if it wasn't for this site, I highly doubt I would have made so much progress in the last year. Maybe sending him a printscreen of the board could help further. I am still eager to see him work on this hack and not abandon it. There's simply many of his ideas that are ingenious ones, his custom castle he created on paper sheets beforehand and that big bridge were just ingenious.

I give him a lot of credit for the fact that he created his own graphics as most of the time in my hacks all I do is copy/paste/modify other graphics from other games so I can't really say I have the same satisfactory feeling as self-accomplishment as him regarding that fact.

Please don't give up GameMakr24, there's like a cult following for your hack and I'm pretty sure more people have been enticipating your hack over time then all my hacks reunited.

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Wed 31 Jul 2013 - 13:53

YES! So I think I've convinced Gamemakr24 to finally come here, however I don't think I see any posts from him yet, but at least this is GOOD NEWS!!

Normally I don't just post private messages from my e-mails for everyone to read, but in this case its more of a matter of concern than anything else. When a rom hacker goes years without doing much I'm sure many followers become worried.

Anyway, here is the latest news and congrats to Gamemakr for finally coming here! We will see!

Erock & Gamemakr wrote:"Now, as far as Zeldix goes, all you need really is a few minutes of free time to check out the message boards. In other words, by the time you finished reading this e-mail that I'm writing that's enough time to go on there and at least make a post saying Hi as well as just looking the various topics that exist."

I have created a Zeldix account now; I'm just waiting for a moderator to approve it.  Smile

"Now, this is a PRIVATE Zelda 3 hacking forum, which means that only the members of that forum can see the posts so it's not available for the public to see. Almost all of the greatest and knowledgeable Zelda 3 hackers are there."

I'll play it by ear, regarding how much I'm willing to reveal in there.

"For example, we just got a pretty new member named Conn and he was the one who worked on getting the Zelda 3 Ancient Stone Tablets that you played a while back. Conn is a ASM wizard! and he is just providing his help to anyone who needs help with their hack."

I actually never played AST -- it was only BSZelda that I played, and that was just the first four dungeons.  Thanks for reminding me about this gem!

"Some of the ASM hacks that have been made that are on there are outstanding! Which include:"

Smashing pots with a sword -- Every modern Zelda game has this, and it's so much more convenient then the two-step lift/throw process.  Smile

Ice Rod freezing shallow water that is walkable on -- That's a neat effect.  I can't think of any practical purpose, other than allowing pushable blocks and water-fearing enemies to cross.

Pushable bricks that can be moved an infinite amount of times -- That's awesome!!

No annoying beeping when your heats are low -- I would like to have just a few warning beeps when you initially get that low...

Plus tons more!

Most of these are icing on the cake, which won't be my priority until I can actually get the cake baked.  As I've said, I always work on the hardest & most critical stuff first, since the other stuff is pointless unless I can make the main hack work.  Sadly, this also has the effect of discouraging me, especially when time is so limited, so sometimes it's good to look at the icing for motivation.

"Basically, if you're not on there you are OUT OF DATE and LIVING IN THE PAST. I'm also at the point to where I've almost lost my patients to the point where I just can't design for a game that is not currently being worked on anymore. There are other Zelda 3 hacks that are currently being worked on which I could easily be designing for. Do you really want me to have to go design for another hack? If not, then I please urge you to post some updates on there. I want to see this game one day come to a completion and also remember that I've been following and working this hack for like 5 years and we are supposed to be friends right? So please, do it for me, do it for everyone following this hack, do it for all of the people who will be playing your hack in the future and most importantly do it for yourself!"

My life has been such that there was NO WAY I could work on Zelda3C, for a while.  There were huge things happening that made spare time impossible.  I lost sight of the game because there was no seeing it, for a while.  However, a lot has changed and I've started finding time to myself again lately.  Thanks for all your endless patience -- I'll make sure it pays off!

"One last thing, it was agreed on Zeldix that a single person doing a complete Zelda 3 rom hack on their own is just down right crazy and too much for one person to handle. The only way Quest for Calatia will be completed is if we do this as a team and this team exists on Zeldix. Seph, Euclid, Puzzledude, Conn, Potentialing, Mathonnapkins and pretty much everyone else there are absolute experts on this game and have invaluable knowledge which will help Quest for Calatia succeed. "

It's very good to hear that so many people have forged an alliance.  I know that Zelda3C can't be completed alone -- however, I still stand on my premise that those things are graphics, music, and ASM hacking -- all things that I can't do on my own.  (Actually, I'm not too bad at pixel art, but I shouldn't be putting my time into that.)  The actual adventure, including story, overworld and dungeons, are still mine to create; if I can't do those on my own, there's no point in my creating the game.  I'm open to ideas and puzzle concepts, of course, but their final implementation is for me to decide.

"Teaming up on Zeldix will clearly be beneficial to Quest for Calatia and is the most logic choice here. In fact it would be stupid to not join. Why would anyone turn down the most valuable assistance you could ever wish for?"

"So what are you waiting for? The decision is clear. Don't waist anymore time fumbling around with Hyrule Magic and the rom by yourself."

I was already planning to join Zeldix when Seph and others invited me earlier.  Please don't think I'm 'stupid'.

"All you have to do is click the link below and type in your user name and password! If you do not have a user name or password then e-mail Seph or I notify Seph him for you!"

Yes, I'm registered now as GameMakr24.  Thanks for giving me that final push!

It will be the BEST decision you have ever made!

Woohoo!  Maybe they can help me with the story-based ASM issues I was having when last I worked on it!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Wed 31 Jul 2013 - 17:42

GameMakr24 also sent me an e-mail telling me he just registered an account, it's activated now Wink

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by GameMakr24 Sun 18 Aug 2013 - 19:08

Hi everyone!  Wow, reading this thread makes me feel like a celebrity!  Where to begin..?

"Let's all pray, he gets back in shape and gets well soon as I for one, can't wait to work with him on Zelda 3 hacking related topics!"

Earlier this year, I had Walking Pneumonia.  It was horrible -- by far the most sick I've ever been.  It led to ear infections which temporarily caused half my face to stop working!  I was only blinking with one eye and smiling with only half my mouth.  It was scary and also kind of creepy.  One endearing friend even called me Two Face. (Batman, look out!)

"Hopefully, he'll get back to business eventually, he's like the "Duke Nukem Forever" of Zelda 3 hacks I mean, longest Zelda 3 hack in development!"

I laughed hard at this.  And shuttered.

"So it is a strange feeling that those programs and gfx are standing somewhere and can't be used by others and yet the author himself doesn't "use" them, because of the lack of time."

That would be a strange concept, indeed!  I'm going to make the time to use them now -- they definitely aren't created in vain. The reason I don't share them is mainly that I would spend too much time supporting them instead of using them.

...At least I don't play World of Warcraft, or Minecraft, for that matter.  Such addictions would definitely render all other aspirations impossible for me!

"And what could I say about most of my friends that think I'm wasting my time on a 20 years old game (time to evolve they keep saying...)"

LOL, I get the same reactions from my brother!  "Why are you so obsessed with pixels??"  It's nice to know I'm not the only one catching this kind of flak.

"There's always a way to fix a problem/issue in that game.  Sometimes multiple heads are better then one to solve all kind of problems."

This is sure great to hear!  Definitely why I've joined this league of legends!  Smile

"I don't think anyone on this very Earth could manage an whole hack of Zelda 3 on there own."

I totally agree.  While I'm selfishly possessive of the intertwined overworld and dungeon areas that adhere to a specific vision and itinerary, I know I'll need to share the ROM with people who are creating / testing custom ASM hacks and new music for it.

I can confirm that the reply posted earlier was definitely intended for SePH.  I've never gotten confused as to whose motivational email I was responding to!  Wink

Regarding simplifying the hack, there are indeed parts I may have to trim back on.  Reshaper and I dreamed up lots of incredible ideas, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.  I'll need to reach out to him once the project is in motion again, and then decide what's actually in scope.

SePH, you've definitely created a lot of overworld content through the years!  I love the Gates of Time screenshot with its double-decker house and cliffside with side-facing stairway.  (Does Link have to be moved up/right/up/right as he climbs?  Also, that cabin with the raised porch is spectactular -- it must've taken a long time to perfect.  Oh, and what's with Parallel Universes, LOL?  Can that still be Zelda 3??

In closing, I definitely need to be part of the Zeldix community.  Not only can I get help from others who also know Zelda 3, I'll be motivated to keep moving forward and to not forget the dream.  Thanks for having me!!
GameMakr24
GameMakr24

Since : 2013-07-31

http://www.questforcalatia.net/Zelda3C/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 2:47

Hello again!

About that Duke Nukem reference I made... I think from memory that Duke Nukem Forever took about 12 or so years of devellopment which is about the same time you worked on your hack so that joke was an easy one lol

And sorry, it wasn't meant to make you shutter, more like a boost of confidence lol

It may be a dozen of years but the good thing about all this is that you never gived up on your game Wink

GameMakr24 wrote:LOL, I get the same reactions from my brother!  "Why are you so obsessed with pixels??"  It's nice to know I'm not the only one catching this kind of flak.
You're certainly not alone but what can we do about it beside hide from phone calls, ring bells and skype calls even to actually hack that game in peace lol

So in final we're a league of legends? Nice one! Although there's currently only one person on this board with a title in that league and it's you ;)I've bestowed each and everyone here on the board with a custom title that shows their status with romhacking in general.

SePH wrote:I don't think anyone on this very Earth could manage an whole hack of Zelda 3 on there own.
GameMakr24 wrote:I totally agree.  While I'm selfishly possessive of the intertwined overworld and dungeon areas that adhere to a specific vision and itinerary, I know I'll need to share the ROM with people who are creating / testing custom ASM hacks and new music for it.
That specific vision and itinerary is what I call a long but careful planning, like a script for a movie in production! I can perfectly understand your means that you're the sole creator of the overworld and dungeons and that I'll probably never take even a peak at Quest For Calatia at any rate since I'm no music or asm guy, but I could eventually help you tweak your overworlds as that's where my main expertise is (and inserting various graphics of course).

GameMakr24 wrote:Regarding simplifying the hack, there are indeed parts I may have to trim back on.  Reshaper and I dreamed up lots of incredible ideas, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.  I'll need to reach out to him once the project is in motion again, and then decide what's actually in scope.
I invited both Reshaper256 and Erockbrox at the same time as you and they both joined up but I hadn't created a sub board for your game so they haven't post for a while. I'm pretty sure a simple email to Reshaper to come here would set your core team back in motion Razz

GameMakr24 wrote:SePH, you've definitely created a lot of overworld content through the years!  I love the Gates of Time screenshot with its double-decker house and cliffside with side-facing stairway.  (Does Link have to be moved up/right/up/right as he climbs?  Also, that cabin with the raised porch is spectactular -- it must've taken a long time to perfect.
Gotta agree, always found overworld designing to be a somewhat much easier process then creating dungeons which I hate! Link couldn't move diagonally in those stairs (didn't bothered changing the block types much back then) but now I know it's of course fully possible!

GameMakr24 wrote:Oh, and what's with Parallel Universes, LOL?  Can that still be Zelda 3??
You wanna know the truth? It's a big gamble, probably my biggest one yet! It will probably either be an acclaimed hack that'll still be played in years to come or a total flop that will create an even bigger outcry then that of Parallel Worlds, but in the end I really don't care anymore lol

I'm making my best so it doesn't. It now just needs a proper story Wink

This is my final hack attempt of Zelda 3 as I announced my retirement from that game forever ever after that. I obviously knew this for a while and wanted to try something different this time. I'll still give my help to others hacks in need but don't expect me to make another hack ever of Zelda 3 by myself ever, no thanks lol

Parallel Universes brainstorming started after watching the whole ten season of stargate sg1 and the three stargate atlantis ones in 2008... then I had a sudden urge to to create a Zelda 3 hack of Stargate in started it in january 2009 (hence why my rom backups up until now always had the codename StargateZ3 Wink )

GameMakr24 wrote:In closing, I definitely need to be part of the Zeldix community.  Not only can I get help from others who also know Zelda 3, I'll be motivated to keep moving forward and to not forget the dream.  Thanks for having me!!
No worries, you'll quickly find that there's plenty of useful people here, we learn something new everyday and everyone is friendly enough! Given your legendary status I'd say it's more like an honor of having you then the other way around Woot!!

Overall, enjoy your stay here buddy and if you have any requests in particular just ask and somebody will eventually help ya Wink

Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 6:54

While I'm selfishly possessive of the intertwined overworld and dungeon areas that adhere to a specific vision and itinerary, I know I'll need to share the ROM with people who are creating / testing custom ASM hacks and new music for it.
You don't have to give them your version, since the ASM and music can actually be tested in Alttp instead as a base to edit. Knowing the ASM pointers, the code's location can be adopted in the hack.

Regarding the overworld and dungeons. I can understand you want to do both on your own, however this is also very difficult to achieve. Example: PW= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by Euclid. GoW= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by me and Dudeman. GoT= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by me (in developement).

This seems to be the method that is working. But there are special cases, like PoC where Spene is doing both. In this case the process is longer, since there are 295 HM rooms and 128 small areas in the game.

Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 7:36

Puzzledude wrote:Regarding the overworld and dungeons. I can understand you want to do both on your own, however this is also very difficult to achieve. Example: PW= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by Euclid. GoW= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by me and Dudeman. GoT= overworlds by SePH, dungeons by me (in developement).

This seems to be the method that is working. But there are special cases, like PoC where Spene is doing both. In this case the process is longer, since there are 295 HM rooms and 128 small areas in the game.
Oh, and don't worry Puzzledude, for the last like 5 years or since 2008 I've developed probably several hundred puzzles, ideas and gimmicks that are specifically made for dungeons in Quest for Calatia. I have submitted probably enough content to Gamemakr24 such that when it comes time to making dungeons, it will not be such a burdened task after all.

So really its like this:

Quest for Calatia = overworlds by Gamemakr24, dungeons by Erockbrox Wink 
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 9:06

This is good to hear. Usually this is a method that works, since I know I needed around 8 months to completely fledge the light world of GoT, despite the fact it was mostly done already (new gfx, testing, transit between areas!, sprites, overlay problems!, etc). So it takes huge efforts to bring overworld to the final state (past beta).

So if someone is doing 2 overworlds from zero with new gfx, it usually is not possible to also do the dungeons, not to mention the new sprite gfx (this is usually done by so called spriters), and finally the most complex thing, which is asm (again only certain rare people can do this task).

So every Z3 hack basically needs 4 different (or at least 3) protagonists.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 13:44

What about the music too?

So I say for a Zelda 3 hack you need:

1. Someone to make the overworlds

2. Someone to make the dungeons

3. An ASM expert for custom stuff

4. A spriter or custom graphics artist

5. A musician to compose original music

And this is the bare minimum!

Plus, there is the story and tons of other stuff. Every quality Zelda 3 hack really needs to have a TEAM!
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 14:15

Exactly. However it is possible for one person (usually the hack supervisor) to take more tasks. For instance in GoT I'm also doing all new gfx (overworld, indoors and sprites) but Not from zero, more like modify what already exists; the story and all hex editing. But can't do music or asm (luckily I had lots of help from Zeldix to implement this as well).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 15:53

From my own experience, the biggest hurdle in Zelda3 hacking has got to be overworld editing. This is a result of the way hyrule magic does tiles of course. It makes one of the most basic and iconic things about any zelda game very difficult to do in a decent time frame. I end up having to take notes on what tile is what just so I don't use it again and mess something else up as a result. This is probably why getting back into quest for calatia has been difficult for gamemakr.

For me I'm attempting to do overworlds and dungeons but like puzzledude said with spane it's really time consuming, potentialing is a musical genius despite hyrule magics terrible music editor and he's pretty decent with asm too. The whole community really has taught me more about zelda3 in the last month or so than I learned in all the time i spent trying to figure it out myself

Erockbrox wrote:Plus, there is the story and tons of other stuff. Every quality Zelda 3 hack really needs to have a TEAM!
This is really true, and it's great that gamemakr decided to join and hopefully we can someday see quest for calatia Very Happy 
Btw welcome gamemakr24, hope the community helps you in making your game reality
scawful
scawful

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 19 Aug 2013 - 16:17

From my own experience, the biggest hurdle in Zelda3 hacking has got to be overworld editing. This is a result of the way hyrule magic does tiles of course. It makes one of the most basic and iconic things about any zelda game very difficult to do in a decent time frame. I end up having to take notes on what tile is what just so I don't use it again and mess something else up as a result. This is probably why getting back into quest for calatia has been difficult for gamemakr.
Believe it or not, GameMakr made a list of All overworld tiles which exist in Alttp, just under 9000 (64x64 tiles). I've also seen some gfx studies (16x16 tiles, that's why it is called 16-bit by the way). I wonder if he documented the 32x32 also.

He is also using the custom XLS (excel) based utiliy to make an area, and then transport it into HM. So I guess he has an easier way to do the overworlds. But yes, just with HM it can be very complicated. The grid should be made out of smaller squares (64x64 is just to large). So now you need to map 2 giant tile bases (32x32 base and 64x64 base). Not to mention to make this compatible between light and dark world.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next