Alttp bugs and their fixes

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Empty Re: Alttp bugs and their fixes

Post by Agunim Sun 5 Oct 2014 - 5:19

Erockbrox wrote:this boss originally had a transition from its ice shield. i believe it was fixed my mathonnapkins.
Ah yes, the restored Kholdstare shell fix by mathonnapkins was great. Hopefully it's compatible with Conn's glove fix.

Erockbrox wrote:blue shield
Do you know if the shield remain blue until you restart the game or does it go back to normal once you enter another screen, cave etc.?

Edit: One annoying thing in the game that I've been wondering about if it was the result of a bug, is the total death counter which also registrate a saved game. I know they changed it for the GBA version to be like it was in the original Zelda on the NES. I recall Zelda II also treated it like ALttP, don't know how it is in Awakening and Ocarina. But it seems a bit weird if it was intentional when you need to clear the game in one sitting if you want a score of 0.

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Since : 2014-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 5 Oct 2014 - 16:04

ok, the first chime bug... every overworld has a ram value stored to signify whether a riddle is solved or not.
Unfortunately in this area is a bombable cave, which sets a ram value to 7ef2b5 to point whether it is bombed or not.

Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Image213

You can test it: Cheat with 7ef2b5-00 and you will hear the chime when lifting the warp block and at the same time, the bombed cave will be closed again (you need to reenter the screen to make the cheat code work). Means you can only hear the chime as long as you didn't open the cave - this is actually a HM based bug-fix.

There's not much I can do to fix. I can hardcode it, that in this specific area, when you lift this block, the chime is heard... but honestly; this affects only native Zelda and no hack so I dunno whether it is necessary.
Conn
Conn

Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 5 Oct 2014 - 18:02

Motthula fixed

Problem was
7F6884-01 (spin3 and sword4 can damage)
7f6885-01 (spin4 can damage).

Ppatch is inside this zip file; to test it start a game from a Slot, don't use zsnes or snes9x freeze savestates.
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/bunny-glove-fix.zip

The all-in.ips has been updated as well

So next
- kholdstarre
- Magic meter break
- shield bug
- death Counter
-pulling statues (*gosh, dunno whether this is worth Fixing)
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 6:36

The Kholdstare shell restiration was already fixed by Math On Napkins and the code should be somewhere in the Data base. I think it is just some bytes change, since the code is there, so this must be a pointer.

The death count is not really a bug. You have choosen to quit. This is regarded as death. But it is true, getting a 0 deaths is then close to impossible.

I never knew Mothula was imune to golden sword.

By the way, if Mothula has more Health, it stops shooting beams after a while. Don't know if this is in original Alttp also.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 7:53

Yes, kholdstare Shell fix is only 4 Bytes Change, no worries.

I fixed the death Counter, find it in this zip:

The code is somewhat shitty. I traced Long to see how it works. It's not that way that it increases the dungeon specific deaths, but Counts in parts, means as soon you collect a Crystal/pendant, all deaths so far will be added to the specific part where you collected the pendant/crystal then, Independent whether you died on overworld/in another dungeon.

Well, now it will not Count with above patch anymore when pressing select, choose save&quit, or when you die and choose "don't save and continue". It will only count when dying and pressing "save and continue", "save and quit".
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 9:24

Man, you're a machine, Conn! I will check these out asap. Thank you so much for looking into these!! Very Happy
Conn wrote:ok, the first chime bug... every overworld has a ram value stored to signify whether a riddle is solved or not.
Unfortunately in this area is a bombable cave, which sets a ram value to 7ef2b5 to point whether it is bombed or not. You can test it: Cheat with 7ef2b5-00 and you will hear the chime when lifting the warp block and at the same time, the bombed cave will be closed again (you need to reenter the screen to make the cheat code work). Means you can only hear the chime as long as you didn't open the cave - this is actually a HM based bug-fix.
Interesting, I guess that's why they ultimately left it as is.
Conn wrote:There's not much I can do to fix. I can hardcode it, that in this specific area, when you lift this block, the chime is heard... but honestly; this affects only native Zelda and no hack so I dunno whether it is necessary.
I would definitely appreciate such a fix, but I also understand if you don't want to bother.

Regarding the Mothula bug, will you also take a look at its other weird random invincibility described in that thread I linked to? It seems by fixing this sword invulnerability, Mothula will instead randomly take full damage no matter how weak your attack is? So if I understand it correctly the side effect of this bugfix means that if you hit him with your level 2 sword he will randomly take the same damage as from a spin attack from a level 3 sword or a level 4 sword attack, where he originally did take zero damage randomly.

EDIT: Well, randomly was an incorrect description of me as it appears to happen when he is being knocked into the spikes.
Conn wrote:It would be also helpful if somebody can list unused monologues...
I'm pretty sure this line of dialogue went unused:

Ki ki?  What are you doing?
I don't want to go there!

(line 289 in Hyrule Magic)

I guess the line was meant for the little monkey in case you left the temple area when he was following you. As it is, he just disappears without any dialogue if you leave. I tried to trigger the line by using the two exits and I also tried to take him with me into the shrine with the tree-shaped guy but on the latter you only get the same message as when you try to take the chest or middle-aged guy with you into a cave.

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 10:14

shield bug with ether fixed.

As for mothula: You Need to try out the eventualities yourself, I cannot cover and take care of everything. But definitively not, because I used a different technique than that guy in the thread you pointed to.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 11:04

the other bugs:
- kholdstar melting: dunno why you listed this bug, Erock but this was already covered by MathOnNapkins hack.
- I cannot press the cane of somaria button so fast as you did, thus I cannot reproduce the bug... and am not able to fix it :p
- the Magic cape pulling statues is a too small bug to be fixed. People who know about this can take a small Advantage out of it.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 11:42

Alright, I made a "native zelda hack collection"

https://www.zeldix.net/t385-original-alttp-bug-fixes#1545

You will also find MoN's kholdstare fix in this collection. I also fixed the chime in Lake Hylia's teleporter due to Agunim's request. Do NOT use it with your hack of course since this is a bug which actually must be avoided with HM (do not place a bomb-able cave together with a teleport Stone in the same Screen).

Also the all-in.ips has been updated (except with the chime-teleport hack):
http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/all-in_ips.zip

Here's the complete list of hacks - as mentioned in my previous post I can't fix all stuff esp. those requested by Erock:

Information: This is a hack collection to fix some bugs occuring in the native Zelda
Rom: ALTTP (US), without header

Screenshot:
Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Kholds11

Ips Patch: http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/native_zelda_fixes.zip

This is a hack collection that fixes some bugs encountered in native Zelda:

Kholdstare_shell.ips (by MathOnNapkins):
Additional info: The fade is supposed to occur when the shell is defeated and is meant to simulate melting, probably.
It changes 4 bytes only so that the correct palettes are loaded:
1.) at 6C59, 80 --> A0
2.) at 6C5D, 80 --> A0
code is, BF 80 C3 7E 9F 80 C5 7E
new code, BF A0 C3 7E 9F A0 C5 7E
3.) at 6CBC, 80 --> A0
4.) at 6CBF, 90 --> B0
code is, A2 80 00 A9 90 00 4C 98
new code, A2 A0 00 A9 B0 00 4C 98
-Original code: the ice from cold stare disappears in an instant.
-New code: the ice disappears slowly. (Amazing what 4 bytes can do)..

bunny_glove_fix.ips (by Conn)
This fixes the glove palette when wearing ingame reseting to skin color -
it happens in native Zelda when:
* opening the overworld map
* opening the dungeon map (makes the glove palette to disappear from the moment you visit another room in the dungeon)
* being electrocuted
* using Ether
* being hit by a rabbit beam

mothula_l4.ips (by Conn)
This patch fixes that the boss Mothula is immune against the Golden Sword and the spin attack
from the Tempered Sword.

death_counter.ips (by Conn)
This patch prevents that it is counted as death when
- pressing select -> Save&Quit
- dying and choose "Don't save and continue"
Dying and choosing "Save and Continue" as well as "Save and Quit" still count as death of course

shield_fix.ips (by Conn)
If a shield is stolen by a Pikit (that pumpkin monster with the long tongue e.g., in front of ice dungeon)
and you use the ether, get the L2 shield back, your shield will have a blue palette.
This patch restores the normal gold-red palette

chime_teleport_nativeONLY.ips (by Conn)
As the name tells, use this hack only on NATIVE ALTTP. If you lift the teleport in Lake Hylia to access
the ice dungeon you hear no chime. The reason is that the cave in the bottom-left corner is bombed open.
This patch lets you hear a chime everytime you lift the stone (as you hear it for other teleports).
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 14:18

Conn wrote: I cannot press the cane of somaria button so fast as you did, thus I cannot reproduce the bug... and am not able to fix it :p

You have to do it in that specific area the swamp place.

Try doing it there same location as in the video. Smile

Also if you cannot press button so fast then use autofire on emulator.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 16:48

Conn wrote:As for mothula: You Need to try out the eventualities yourself, I cannot cover and take care of everything. But definitively not, because I used a different technique than that guy in the thread you pointed to.
I see, I'll let you know if I find anything unusual.
chime_teleport_nativeONLY.ips (by Conn)
As the name tells, use this hack only on NATIVE ALTTP. If you lift the teleport in Lake Hylia to access the ice dungeon you hear no chime. The reason is that the cave in the bottom-left corner is bombed open. This patch lets you hear a chime everytime you lift the stone (as you hear it for other teleports).
Thanks for giving this a shot! Very Happy Unfortunately, this patch causes the game to freeze whenever a cave is bombed open on the world map or whenever you try to lift the rocks covering the secret portals. Hope there is a cure.

Will report back as soon as I've tested the other patches...

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 17:18

Yes, I just noticed this bug too, fixed, please redownload

http://bszelda.zeldalegends.net/stuff/Con/native_zelda_fixes.zip

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 18:34

ok, fixed that swamp bug, erock:

cane_somaria_fix.ips (by Conn)
disables frequent use of cane somaria that causes bugs

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 18:57

YEAH!

swamp bug squished! Smile
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Alttp bugs and their fixes - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 6 Oct 2014 - 19:01

also fixed your Magic cape Thing @_@

cape_fix.ips (by Conn)
disables grabbing with magic cape and thus having no magic drain when pulling a statue

Am I done now...?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Thu 9 Oct 2014 - 15:20

Conn wrote:Yes, I just noticed this bug too, fixed, please redownload
Everything seems to be OK now. Thank you! Very Happy

I have now fully tested the Mothula bug fix, while it beautifully fixes Mothula's invulnerability against those level 3 and 4 sword attacks, the side effect unfortunately appears to be what that guy mentioned in that gamefaqs thread. To give you an example, Mothula need 8 hits with the Fire Rod in the original and GBA versions but after applying this patch, only 5 hits were necessary. So I assume that means that Mothula takes extra damage from the spikes in the room.

So if there's no solution, I would not recommend using this fix unless you want Mothula nerfed in difficulty. Mothula's "random" invulnerability in the original game is definitely the lesser of two evils, I think. And the level 3 and 4 sword attack invulnerability only becomes a problem if you are doing the dungeons out of order.

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 9 Oct 2014 - 19:16

I checked the code amd it is quite tricky. The Problem is this hardcoded address:
snes $06/E83D A9 04 LDA #$04

To explain it, when using the rod this #$04 will be taken into account giving the fire rod the damage of the L4 sword (well sometimes... - I noticed that on some occasions he Needs 5 hits and on other only 2 hits even).

Right now, I have no idea how to fix this except immense hardcoding (checking if you're attacking Mothula and such).

I think about if I get another solution but I don't think so, and tend to follow your Suggestion to skip this bug.
of course the Problem is solved if I make
pc 03:683D: a9 04 -> a9 06 but this can easily cause other bugs. So I'd rather not do this.

For all who have applied this patch yet simply make
pc 02/6c61: 01 -> 00
this neutralizes the patch and mothula is still invulnerable by L4 sword.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 4:30

ok, I hardcoded it if
$0e20,x = 88 (Mothula) load a 06 instead of 04. So it will not take
7f6884 in account where now is a 01 so the L4 sword takes damage but
7f6886, where still is a "00"

Means it should work now:
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 10:36

Damn, you're a god if you manage to fix this, will check it out tonight.

Made this chart to make it easier if there's others testing it out as well.

Mothula damage chart:
2 HP (16 hits) - Drawn Level 2 sword, Level 2 sword beam, Bee
4 HP (8 hits) - Fire Rod, Level 2 sword swing/Pegasus charge, Drawn Level 3 sword
8 HP (4 hits) - Level 2 sword spin attack, Level 3 sword swing/Pegasus charge, Drawn Level 4 sword, Hammer
*16 HP (2 hits) - Level 3 sword spin attack, Level 4 sword swing/Pegasus charge, Level 4 sword spin attack

* immune to in original SNES rom

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 12:03

Well, it seems like you are a god as it seems to work beautifully. Wink Mothulas other invulnerability bug is annoying but it's a bug I can live with.

Awesome work man! Very Happy

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 13:45

Stuff like this is really no issue for me anymore. Ask SePH what I already implemented for PU ^^

What do you mean with other invulnerability bug?
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 17:52

Agunim wrote:Well, it seems like you are a god as it seems to work beautifully. Wink Mothulas other invulnerability bug is annoying but it's a bug I can live with.
Awesome work man! Very Happy
Conn wrote:Stuff like this is really no issue for me anymore. Ask SePH what I already implemented for PU ^^
I believe the upper is correct, but more because of the Ice Rod freezing water and the Mornings Star items, and of course the entire "All in" patch, which has more ASM, then I can count (I litteraly lost count here).

Also Conn, nice move with the Green Boomerang (you wrote that someone made a trick on you with it, but now you made it). Similar thing here: I was actually tricked once that the Alttp sequel came out (in the 90s). Who would have thought, that now we actually have the resources to make one our selves.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 10 Oct 2014 - 20:08

Thanks dudes Smile

Who would have thought, that now we actually have the resources to make one our selves.
*lol yes. I hope that you guys can pull some really nice games out of my hacks which took much time and effort all together. Though I didn't see many Demos like from GoT, the Projects I saw (PU and Oracle of secrets) look really promising!

What do you mean with other invulnerability bug?
I can answer my question myself now: some hits on mothula Count, others don't (it seems to be completely random). I tried to trace the issue and I can't fix it. My best guess is that it has to do with the moving spike blocks and a sloppy nintendo code. The game sometimes seems to not differentiate whether you hit mothula or a moving spike block (which turn in this moving case from bg to sprite - you notice this e.g., since the fire shots can't pass them as they do on static spike blocks), thus the code takes Mothula as "spike" and doesn't execute the HP drop code.

I also cannot fix code it since it is coded quite complicated (with delay code and such). It happens both with sword and fire rod - the delay code starts at 20 ($0ef0) and the HP is dropped($0e50) when this Counter is 18. on some occasions the timer is already reseted before getting 18 causing this bug.
I may take a second look into it.

Ah well - makes this Boss harder and since he still is defeatable we can live with this bug I think.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Agunim Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 1:18

Conn wrote:Ah well - makes this Boss harder and since he still is defeatable we can live with this bug I think.
Yeah, that's exactly how I thought about it. I actually didn't even know about this bug before finding that gamefaq thread. But once I knew, it was actually a bitch testing your patches, as the present bug causes him to flinch, flash and even sound like he's being hit without any hit being registrated. Hence my guide making it somewhat easier for people testing.

Loved your descriptions of what you were doing with the code, I've been looking at that stuff and I honestly couldn't make any sense of it... How the hell did you get so good at this stuff?!

Anyway, thank you again Conn for making one of the best games of all times even better with your fixes. Smile

Btw, when searching for bugs in ALttP on the web I found this great info from the same guy in that gamefaqs thread. Conn, I'm definitely not asking or expecting you to fix any of these. You have already done more than anyone could ask for. I was only thinking if I'm not posting this discovery after creating this thread I'm not a good person. The only one I have experienced myself is the "one Stalfos Knight's bombability wrongly influences another's." Interesting stuff...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588436-the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-to-the-past/faqs/39556

7. BUGS PERTAINING TO MONSTERS

Here are the enemy-related bugs I've found.  Most of these are explained in the
respective monsters' entries in Section 6, but I decided I'd include them all
here for convenience (or elaboration).

1. Peer pressure even exists amongst the undead (one Stalfos Knight's
  bombability wrongly influences another's) -
  Stalfos Knight (#145) -

The bomb damage it sustains changes from 0 to 64 after you collapse him with
  another attack (and back to 0 when he recovers).  And because the damage
  class values are stored once per enemy type rather than once per enemy
  *instance*, all Stalfos Knights become bombable when you collapse one.  And
  conversely, all become unbombable when one falls from the ceiling, or one
  transitions from crumpled to upright.  You can see this bug in action in
  the Basement2 room in the Ice Palace with two Stalfos Knights and a
  telepathic tile.

3. Level 4 sword insulates Hammer? -
  Buzz Blob (#13) -

Striking it with a sword of level 1-3 will get Link zapped and harmed rather
  than damaging Buzz Blob.  As will striking it with the Hammer, but only if
  Link's sword is level 1-3.  Perplexing that the Hammer somehow becomes
  impervious once you get the Level 4 sword.  Maybe the bug is that the hammer
  should still be shockable.  Maybe the problem is that it should never have
  been shockable, but got lumped together with the swords in the game
  mechanics and the game didn't distinguish them before performing the shock.
  Either way, there's something amiss.

4. Link so shocked he forgets what he was swinging -
  Buzz Blob (#13), Red Bari (electric jellyfish) (#35), Blue Bari (electric
  jellyfish) (#36), Electric Barrier (#64), and partially Agahnim (#122) -

When Link strikes these with the sword or hammer, he'll get zapped rather
  than harming the enemy (certain levels of sword will be effective against
  certain enemies; Section 6 covers all that).  The oddity is that your sword
  is always pictured in the shocking animation, and with the colors of the
  original Master Sword for most of the frames (the other frames have the
  correct sword color).  This doesn't make much sense when you have a Level 1,
  3, or 4 sword, and is blatantly goofy if you struck the enemy with the Magic
  Hammer.  Note that Agahnim produces the bug where the sword is shown in
  place of the hammer, yet he curiously doesn't produce an incorrectly-colored
  sword.

5. Enemies dropped by switches don't get their custom stats put into memory -
  Skullrope (#110) -

ID #110 is a shared enemy that consists of two monsters: the Light World
  Rope (a gray snake), and the Dark World Skullrope (a green snake with a
  white skull mask).  With shared enemies, the game loads the default ROM
  data into memory, then calls special code to overwrite desired stats with
  a real monster's custom data.  (In this case, the real monster is
  determined by which world you're currently in.)  The Rope and Skullrope have
  custom stats for HP, bump damage to Link, and prize drops (see Section 6 for
  details).

However, the data replacement strangely won't occur if the enemy is dropped
  into the room by pulling a switch (as opposed to being meetable "in the
  wild").  It's not an issue for the Light World Rope, whose stats match
  enemy #110's default ROM values. *  It is for the Dark World Skullrope,
  though, who was apparently meant to be a bit different (8 HP instead of 4,
  greater bump damage, and generally better prizes left behind).  Because the
  only known way to meet Skullropes is by pulling a switch in one room in
  Blind's Dungeon, players will sadly never get to meet the "true" enemy.  

* This fact underscores that there is a bug.  Accomodating the Skullrope is
    likely the only reason the normal Rope _has_ custom data; such data for
    shared monsters generally exists in pairs.  If both Rope variants were
    supposed to be identical to enemy #110's default data, then this custom
    data wouldn't need to exist at all.

6. What doesn't hurt them now can hurt them later -
  Floating skull (#2), Mini Helmasaur (#19) -

Both of these enemies have a hardcoded check that causes them to take no
  damage from sword and hammer strikes, but still be knocked back a decent
  amount (see their entries in Section 6 for more detail, and remember that
  sword "strikes" do not include sword beams).  Follow up with an attack that
  can damage them (e.g. a Level 2+ sword beam, and on the Floating skull, a
  thrown Boomerang).  You'll notice this second attack often does more damage
  than you'd expect.  Specifically, it inflicts whichever damage is greater:
  the damage the second attack would normally do to the monster, or the
  damage that, according to the monster's data, the initial sword or hammer
  strike would've done had it not been repelled!

This bug is difficult to witness against the evasive Floating skull and its
  staggering 255 HP without emulator tools, so I'll use Mini Helmasaur as an
  example.  Whack it in the head with a sword when Link's life meter isn't
  full.  As expected, the attack won't harm it.  In contrast, try whacking it
  in the head with a Level 2+ sword with full hearts.  It is defeated.  But
  wait: the Helmasaur has 4 HP and is impervious to a frontal sword strike,
  and the sword beam is only supposed to do 2 HP damage.  What happened?
  Thanks to the bug, the sword beam does the damage that the shortly
  preceding sword strike "tried" to do (4, 8, or 16, depending on sword
  level).

(If you want to see the same bug unfolding slower, whack the Helmasaur in
  the head when your hearts aren't full; then either lay down a Somarian
  block, or heal to full hearts and shoot a sword beam at it.)

Why can this happen?  For a hint, look at these enemies in Section 6, and
  you'll see that despite their special hardcoded check, their data indicates
  them taking damage from the attack classes which sword and hammer strikes
  belong to.  It might seem logical to zero out all these damage fields, but
  there are a few reasons I suspect the designers didn't:
  - Other attacks (e.g. thrown pots) share attack classes with sword/hammer
    strikes, and we don't want those doing zero damage.
  - Mini Helmasaur can be damaged with sword and hammer strikes when not hit
    head-on.
  - If the intended damage for these attacks were zero, the enemies would no
    longer be knocked backwards a decent amount by them.  My GUESS is that
    the game "simulates" damaging an enemy in order to knock it back, but
    skips the actual function to inflict damage.

But apparently, even though an enemy's hardcoded check bypasses the harm for
  certain attacks against it, the intended damage of the attack remains in
  memory.  Your next successful attack against the enemy somehow uses that
  damage value instead of its own (provided the former is greater than the
  latter), effectively allowing you to harm an enemy with an attack that you
  saw bounce off it.  Even if that failed attack was launched ages before the
  follow-up.

7. Skeleton cowers in the presence of inferior weaponry -
  Head-detaching Stalfos (#133) -

This enemy will crumple on nonfatal strikes, but only if you don't have the
  Level 3 or Level 4 sword.  Yes, this means whether a Boomerang strike or
  Bomb blast makes it crumple depends on the sword in your inventory (!).

8. Quake hits things it shouldn't -
  Rock shot by Octorok/Slarok (#12), Thrown spears and shot arrow (#27),
    Keese and Patra bats (#111) -

The Quake Medallion's attack largely does not hit enemies while they're
  airborne (e.g. flying, floating, or jumping).  However, there are a few
  strange exceptions.  Quake will deflect thrown spears and shot arrows
  mid-flight, and it will break the rocks shot by Octorok and Slarok, even
  though all of these projectiles are airborne.  Quake will also stun Keese
  and Patra, even while they're flying.  One might surmise that all these
  entities are low-flying, and Quake can hit them for that reason, but I
  counter with Exhibit #211: Stal.  This awakening skull can evade Quake as it
  hops along, despite reaching an apex of TWO MILLIMETERS.  Hell, I'm an
  obese, sedentary ROM hacker, and I get more hang time than that.  There's
  simply no good reason for flying creatures and objects to be affected by
  shaking ground, especially in light of who is unaffected by it.  Now, the
  instruction manual does say, "Such an attack and the fear it creates are
  bound to affect the enemy."  However, inanimate objects like spears and
  arrows know no fear.  Also, I think that excerpt represents more a flair for
  the dramatic than it does a rational explanation for why the bats are
  affected.

Also, thanks for changing the thread title, was thinking about that...

Agunim
Leever
Leever

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 11 Oct 2014 - 4:18

Yeah, that's exactly how I thought about it. I actually didn't even know about this bug before finding that gamefaq thread. But once I knew, it was actually a bitch testing your patches, as the present bug causes him to flinch, flash and even sound like he's being hit without any hit being registrated. Hence my guide making it somewhat easier for people testing.

Great News for you, I think I was able to fix the 2nd invulnerability bug Wink

(reapply mothula_l4 ips and Mothula should always be hit).

to be fair to the Player this patch should be applied to all hacks now, otherwise randomly a hit Counts or not (even if it is impossible to Encounter Mothula with L4 sword in your game).

All the other Monster bugs newly listed are interesting but more or less pedantic (they aren't sever at all and most no real bugs). It would require a *hell of asm to debug this, which I am not going to invest :p
I think the worst bug is the first one, though I'd not know how to fix. All the Projects makers should be Aware of this and not place 2 stalfos Knights in the same room.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next