Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack?

Go down

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Empty Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack?

Post by Debu Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 10:18

Hi,

I'd like to stay up to date on the Zelda LttP MSU-1 hack for the SD2SNES.
Where can I find the latest and greatest?
Is it the Zelda Lttp DX?
I'm confused on the naming a little.

I have it working, but wanted to make sure I stay up to date.

Thanks,
Debu

Debu
Bee
Bee

Since : 2014-11-03

Back to top Go down

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Empty Re: Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack?

Post by Puzzledude Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 10:59

Debu wrote:Hi,

I'd like to stay up to date on the Zelda LttP MSU-1 hack for the SD2SNES.
Where can I find the latest and greatest?
Is it the Zelda Lttp DX?
I'm confused on the naming a little.

I have it working, but wanted to make sure I stay up to date.

Thanks,
Debu

Latest MSU hack is here:
https://www.zeldix.net/t453-enable-msu-streaming-music

To answer your other question: the essence of the DX hack is to bring all the fixes of Alttp, which original authors didn't fix or missed, into one game; editing the title screen as well. It also has the MSU hack in there as a bonus.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Empty Re: Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack?

Post by Debu Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 12:04

Which would you recommend me to play?

Debu
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 14:37

There is no great difference between: original Alttp, DX Alttp and MSU Alttp. They all play the same as the original, since you probably won't see/be aware of the fixes.

The only noticable thing is obviously MSU, so if the DX has this inserted as well, this should be the most complete version of the above 3.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 15:24

You see, the code in both msu1 hacks (msu_alttp and zelda_dx) are identical (and final).

my alttt_msu.ips however is for expanded Rom only (1.5 MB) so I recommend using Lunarexpand first.

Qwertymodo rewrote this code to not require to expand the Rom, however the free Rom Areas in qwertymodo's Version are already overwritten by some other (custom) code I wrote and thus unuseable for the Project hackers here, but more convenient for those who want to Play the unmodified original Zelda in msu.
Conn
Conn

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Debu Mon 24 Nov 2014 - 22:05

So I have all the MSU files and the original a link to the past msu that was in the youtube video. I got it working pretty easily using the rom (I own the actual cart) and the patch file.

Do I just download the zelda_dx but leave the rest in place?
Does the DX have the fix where after I save Zelda in the dungeon in the beginning of the game, I hear rain inside the palace?
Or has that been fixed on both versions?

Debu
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 4:23

uh... that rain would be a new bug nobody else encountered... weird things can happen when you hack roms, but this is sfx, not spc(msu) so this most likely doesn't have anything to do with the msu patch
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Debu Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 9:01

OK, got the Zelda-Dx working.
Are there plans to add the MSU to the other Zelda hacks I found on this site?

Are there plans to place cd music in other games that you know of. I can't get over how great it sounds. It really breaths new life in one of my favorite games.

Debu

Debu
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 10:10

Debu wrote:OK, got the Zelda-Dx working.
Are there plans to add the MSU to the other Zelda hacks I found on this site?

Are there plans to place cd music in other games that you know of.  I can't get over how great it sounds.  It really breaths new life in one of my favorite games.

Debu
As far as I know, the MSU by Conn (which has the data placed into the expanded area) should also work for other Alttp hacks (Parallel Worlds, Goddess of Wisdom etc), since I checked and that expanded place is empty in hacks.

But there was no one yet, to test this, since not manny around here actually own the sd2snes hardware.

Regarding other games in MSU. I believe this was talked about before, but Conn (the main person who made MSU on Alttp possible) decided to stick with Alttp MSU. So making MSU for other SNES games is currently out of the scope of this site.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 10:58

All other hacks should work flawlessly with my alttp_msu.ips as well; since These projects didn't tinker with the Music and, as Puzz already pointed out, the area my hack goes to is unused. However the hack by qwertymodo which uses no expanded area will probably overwrite crucial existing code; but I didn't check this.
If you like you can test with bsnes or whatever. The procedure is the same as for native - but in PW you may Need to remove the Header first with snespurify or by Hand.

There's so much to hack in ALTTP and I am not interested in other games, so nothing to expect from me doing for other games, sorry.

However, in good News, EmuandCo found a hacker who made dkc2 working:
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2073
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Debu Tue 25 Nov 2014 - 15:30

A friend of mine also picked up a SD2SNES recently so I wanted to setup these up for him too. We both own LTTP (Among many, many other games) and can test other things with our hardware.

Let me know if you need me to test something down the road. I assume I'll get a PM in my inbox or something. I don't respond, please send another message. All this stuff goes to an account that gets lots of junk still....

Debu
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by qwertymodo Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 2:35

If you're wanting to play the original aLttP with MSU-1, I'd say give DX a try.  It's the original game with some minor improvements which I think really improve the game in subtle ways (see the project page for a list), but the game itself is still exactly the same otherwise.  As far as MSU-1 with other hacks, as Puzzledude already said, Conn's original MSU-1 patch should work with basically any hack out there unless they did something weird with the original soundtrack code (not sure how Parallel Worlds added the extra dungeon track, so you'd have to check that).  All I did for DX was to remove some redundant code and then move it to a new location in the ROM.  The location I chose is probably the same location Conn uses for some of his other hacks, which is why his version requires the 1.5MB expanded ROM.  DX is all Conn's code, I just combined it and added my own title screen Wink

As far as where to find the latest version, the thread here is the best place to find it until I get my github repo updated with the final version that includes a simple switch to easily move the code around (to switch between the original location and the unexpanded location)
qwertymodo
qwertymodo

Since : 2014-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRetromancer Fri 28 Nov 2014 - 10:32

Conn wrote:However, in good News, EmuandCo found a hacker who made dkc2 working:
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=2073

I've been following that hack, too.  It has inspired me to start finding/making music tracks for Mega Man X.  

I really, really hope this takes off.
TheRetromancer
TheRetromancer

Where is the latest Link To The Past MSU-1 hack? Image110

Since : 2014-10-18

Back to top Go down