Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Empty Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Post by Anapan Fri 6 Oct 2017 - 2:51

I've now spread this over 3 forums - guess this is more niche than I at first thought...
Can someone test this on hardware, and let me know any problems or trouble you had with the instructions?
I've made it so that the remixed soundtrack Savaged Regime created to play on the Sega Genesis plays on the actual SNES game.
https://youtu.be/9CzkswHHxQI
http://anapan.525lines.moe/MMX_GEN_MSU1.ZIP

My first test conversion didn't take into account that I had some EQ and DSP enabled on Winamp and I used some compression to readjust the volume.  This link provides an alternate, already compiled PSM set that only needs the rom hacked using DarkShock's IPS for whichever target you use.
http://anapan.525lines.moe/Mega%20Man%20X%20Genesis%20(DSP_EQ).zip

Here's some other forum's description:
Romhacking:

I still haven't fixed the last 3 songs.  Let me know the correct order if you know it.  I actually had only beaten this game twice many years ago...  Having just had carpal tunnel surgery I couldn't extensively test this.

Anapan
Newcomer

Since : 2017-10-06

Back to top Go down

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Empty Re: Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Post by BillyJo Tue 10 Oct 2017 - 18:52

downloading and testing tonight on SD2SNES

BillyJo
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2017-08-28

Back to top Go down

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Empty Re: Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack

Post by DarkShock Wed 11 Oct 2017 - 10:34

Gonna try it tonight!

Your nickname sounds familiar, did you have a OMF2097 fan site in the late 90s/early 2000 by any chance ?
DarkShock
DarkShock

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Image111

Since : 2014-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Thu 12 Oct 2017 - 10:22

So I tested it last night on my SD2SNES. It does work on hardware but there's one major issue, the volume is too loud.

Please don't use the emulator patch anymore, it is a deprecated method when higan didn't have proper volume for the MSU-1 audio. Nowadays the SD2SNES (rev. H) volume and latest higan volume are on par.
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by Anapan Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 1:45

Thank you DarkShock;
Yes, I had an OMF2097 fansite and used to create OMF2097
tournaments with Antti/Anakonda.  I miss when fansites like that were common.

I'm afraid upgrading my SD2SNES is out of my skill level, and I've managed to make all of the MSU1 hacks I care to use work perfectly on my hardware with it's current capabilities.

I'll change the instructions so the old SD2SNES IPS is noted at the end instead of being the default.

Would you try using the emulator/higan IPS file on your newer SD2SNES hardware and let me know the result?

Is it necessary to lower the PCM volume even when using the Higan IPS?

edit: Someone on Romhacking has also responded; My posts are moderated, but the user there has provided full instruction to make my mod work. I'm going to attempt a full revision of the script asap.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=24980.0

Last edited by Anapan on Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 2:16; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : new developments on another forum)

Anapan
Newcomer

Since : 2017-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkShock Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 11:48

No freaking way! What are the odds that we met again here after all those years. I was that young kid back in 1999 that took over that website back when I was learning HTML and how websites works.

Anyway back to business, yes the idea is you reduce the volume of the music. Use the non-emulator patch in higan and tweak the volume from there. Make sure that you use the most recent of higan to get proper volume mixing. We usually start at -15 dB for normalizing and tweak from there depending of the music.
DarkShock
DarkShock

Back to top Go down

Post by vacantplanets Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 16:13

Hey if you're not sure where the songs play in the game, you can just use this video of the entire game as a reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2NqblSmIY

Thank you so much for doing this. I can't wait to play it!

vacantplanets
vacantplanets
Witch
Witch

Since : 2015-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by smokemonster Sat 14 Oct 2017 - 18:13

Looking forward to this. Great work, Anapan Very Happy
smokemonster
smokemonster
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2017-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by vacantplanets Sat 10 Feb 2018 - 13:15

Did anyone ever test this? I still have the old version of SD2SNES that needs the volume boosted so I could use this. Anapan, I'd love to have it. Any chance you can you upload the version without the EQ and effects?
vacantplanets
vacantplanets
Witch
Witch

Since : 2015-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post by ArrisonChan Sat 10 Mar 2018 - 15:40

Anapan wrote:I've now spread this over 3 forums - guess this is more niche than I at first thought...
Can someone test this on hardware, and let me know any problems or trouble you had with the instructions?
I've made it so that the remixed soundtrack Savaged Regime created to play on the Sega Genesis plays on the actual SNES game.
https://youtu.be/9CzkswHHxQI
http://anapan.525lines.moe/MMX_GEN_MSU1.ZIP

My first test conversion didn't take into account that I had some EQ and DSP enabled on Winamp and I used some compression to readjust the volume.  This link provides an alternate, already compiled PSM set that only needs the rom hacked using DarkShock's IPS for whichever target you use.
http://anapan.525lines.moe/Mega%20Man%20X%20Genesis%20(DSP_EQ).zip

Here's some other forum's description:
Romhacking:

I still haven't fixed the last 3 songs.  Let me know the correct order if you know it.  I actually had only beaten this game twice many years ago...  Having just had carpal tunnel surgery I couldn't extensively test this.

So I booted this on my SD2SNES and HOLY BAJEEZUS. Those tracks need to be turned down like... 18 decibels. They are WAY too loud. They were honestly too loud for me to stick through the hack to identify what the last tracks were that were not fixed.

ArrisonChan
Newcomer

Since : 2018-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by SegaSnatcher Sat 10 Mar 2018 - 16:59

I registered specifically to ask if someone made this yet. Talked to Qwertymodo and he referred me to this site.

Hopefully this gets completed.

SegaSnatcher
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sat 10 Mar 2018 - 18:53

It'd be easy to do. I can do it in a few hours, but it won't be until tomorrow sometime.
Relikk
Relikk

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Image211

Since : 2017-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by SegaSnatcher Sat 10 Mar 2018 - 19:13

Relikk wrote:It'd be easy to do. I can do it in a few hours, but it won't be until tomorrow sometime.

That would be fantastic.

SegaSnatcher
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 10 Mar 2018 - 20:52

Thanks for helping out, Relikk, with MMX were already some issues, like theretromancer pcm link was down. Luckily Kurrono had a mirror as I didn't get a reply from theretromancer.
Also the patch may need maintainance like removing the outdated sd2snes patch (mmx_msu1.ips) -> be careful when adjusting the volume to use the emulator patch (that has the 60 volume setting): mmx_msu1_emulator.ips
Otherwise (way round), if you want the FF standard (and thus adjust it for mmx_msu1.ips), also theretromancer's pcm:s would need to be adjusted (it is on the emulator 60 standard). So the easiest way is to work with the 60 setting (mmx_msu1_emulator.ips) for this new set, also to not confuse players which patch to use until DS maybe updates his package at romhacking.
Conn
Conn

Please test my MMX MSU1 Genesis hack Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 5:21

Thanks for the heads up, Conn. I'm just going to start from scratch with the Savaged Regime version and work my way up from there, for the time being, and should have something in a couple of hours.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 8:22

Yeah, that's weird. The emulator patch isn't necessary at all now it seems.

Last edited by Relikk on Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 9:27; edited 2 times in total
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 8:29

So theretromancer versions
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sijdfj28mx3wg41/mmx.rar?dl=0
are already adjusted to FF means work with the sd2snes
mmx_msu1.ips?

It's better to have it all adjusted to the FF standard (mmx_msu1.ips), but in any case it is mandatory to have only ONE patch for all pcm sets, so if retromancer is for the 60, also the genesis should be on the 60.
If you want to adjust also retromancer versions to FF (so both sets are for mmx_msu1.ips) I'm also fine with it Very Happy

It's all a bit confusing, in the end please just tell me, which patch to use and if both pcm sets are fine with it then... Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 8:58

Yeah, I think we should discard the emulator patch and just use the normal patch, or make a note on the download link that the emulator patch is obsolete and not to use it. Updated link as there was a slight error in PCM's 31 and 32...

Savaged Regime PCM's: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahue7izQZmouijnK2NzWRfe3vcX-

(Here is a link to the emulator patch PCM's if you really need to use them https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahue7izQZmouijik4dVFlBGuOkFI )

Theretromancer set is most definitely only for the emulator patch, but I'm not going to touch those as I don't have source material to work with, plus I hate "metal" reworkings of game soundtracks. No
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 10:00

mh, ok... in this case this is the best I could do:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1438-mega-man-x#21211

We still need the emulator patch (60) then, because I do not want to renounce on theretromancer's set.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 10:05

Cool.

I recommend saying that the FF patch is for SD2SNES, too. The 60 patch would be too loud for the more recent revisions of it.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 10:56

Ok I pointed this out more clearly in the note.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 11:22

Very Happy
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Post by SegaSnatcher Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 18:15

OK, I'm confused. I own a REV F SD2SNES. Where is the patch that I need, thanks.

SegaSnatcher
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Colines Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 18:44

Plain and simple: the "emulator" patch no longer serves any purpose, it only exists to counter act the high volume present in RetroDan's music pack.

You should be good with the SD2SNES or "FF" standard, if using the boosting options on newer firmware versions.

Please, avoid any further "emulator" patches out there, previous SD2SNES revisions (before H) suffered from an impedance mismatch on their DAC output, which lowered significantly the MSU-1 volume. ='(

More about it here:
http://blog.qwertymodo.com/2017/07/the-msu-1-volume-fiasco-explained.html

Last edited by Colines on Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 18:49; edited 1 time in total
Colines
Colines

Since : 2015-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Relikk Sun 11 Mar 2018 - 18:44

You can use any of them with an F revision.

Using the normal patch and the matching PCM set you'll need to boost the audio by about +9db in the SD2SNES menu.

Using the emulator patch you shouldn't have to do any audio boosting.

It's just that the later SD2SNES revisions (Rev. H) have normalised audio so the emulator patch PCM's would be ridiculously loud and will distort. The normal patch and PCM's are what should be used.
Relikk
Relikk

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next