MEGA link
YouTube Preview| Rich Douglas website

SC-55 set by GyaragaX
MEGA link
YouTube Preview

----

GoogleDocs Track Map:
Link

Thanks to DarkSamus and Polargames for the provided research material to get this patch project started.

Last edited by pepillopev on Mon 25 May 2020 - 19:15; edited 23 times in total
pev

Wolfenstein 3D - Page 2 Image211

Since : 2017-10-16

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Wolfenstein 3D :: Comments

Conn

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 4:26 by Conn

I'll try to replace the intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kami3DlHQ
with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nlmje-rUQs
I'll need to replace the intro with Ikari player.

evo doesn't have such a video... but as said, no time right now. Also there are 3 projects in the works, while YS5 is finished now eventually - Edale finished the pcm (Pev just needs to post that).

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 9:26 by edale

Polargames wrote:On ys 5 is that why its taking a longer process then other games of getting it msued? I have been reading everything so far that has been posted on the game and earthbound, they seem to be monster headaches to figure out.
A good chunk of that delay on Ys V was my fault. I've done a lot of audio for MSU projects the past few weeks, and was starting to get burned out; so I was going a LOT slower than I usually go (2-3 weeks rather than 2-3 days).

Also, because Ys V has a hardmute, I had to make a number of the SFX tracks that I'd usually just leave absent for the SPC fallback to take care of. While a number of them I just did SPC rips, some of them I actually custom made (one track even has a recording of me breathing heavily overlayed on top on my heartbeat, all on top of a sustained ominous musical chord; you don't want to know how many dozens of recordings I made to get some good sounding ones: http://www.mediafire.com/file/blb53r7ca9p3pmv/ys5_msu-90.wav).

There also was one track that was called multiple times, but didn't quite fit for one of them, so I lucked into convincing @Conn to split that instance of the track off, so I could put a different PCM for that one.

I released a V1 of the Ys V PCM pack the other day, I don't know how long it'll take, but I have a guy who's working on remastering one of the shorter songs from it, and when he finishes and gets that to me I'll release a V2 version, but the game is 100% fully playable as-is (assuming you have the most recent patch).

---

As for Earthbound... 191 tracks, next to no remasters done. The real trick with Earthbound is actually finding the tracks to convert to PCM. There's actually 2 or 3 people working on remastering the missing Earthbound tracks for the MSU-1 mod atm.

TL:DR- Earthbound's gonna be a month or four before it's finished. And that's assuming there's no more problems with the ASM code (which we won't know for sure until we get the PCM set finished, and the game playtested with it).

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 11:28 by Conn

I looked into OOTW. Looks like a terrible game to msu it. I think I am able to find a trigger for it, but again hardcore mute and such.

Earthbound: Oh wow, do you like to pcm every of the 191 tracks? It has a spc fallback Razz ....

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 19:04 by Polargames

edale wrote:
Polargames wrote:On ys 5 is that why its taking a longer process then other games of getting it msued? I have been reading everything so far that has been posted on the game and earthbound, they seem to be monster headaches to figure out.
A good chunk of that delay on Ys V was my fault. I've done a lot of audio for MSU projects the past few weeks, and was starting to get burned out; so I was going a LOT slower than I usually go (2-3 weeks rather than 2-3 days).

Also, because Ys V has a hardmute, I had to make a number of the SFX tracks that I'd usually just leave absent for the SPC fallback to take care of. While a number of them I just did SPC rips, some of them I actually custom made (one track even has a recording of me breathing heavily overlayed on top on my heartbeat, all on top of a sustained ominous musical chord; you don't want to know how many dozens of recordings I made to get some good sounding ones: http://www.mediafire.com/file/blb53r7ca9p3pmv/ys5_msu-90.wav).

There also was one track that was called multiple times, but didn't quite fit for one of them, so I lucked into convincing @Conn to split that instance of the track off, so I could put a different PCM for that one.

I released a V1 of the Ys V PCM pack the other day, I don't know how long it'll take, but I have a guy who's working on remastering one of the shorter songs from it, and when he finishes and gets that to me I'll release a V2 version, but the game is 100% fully playable as-is (assuming you have the most recent patch).

---

As for Earthbound... 191 tracks, next to no remasters done. The real trick with Earthbound is actually finding the tracks to convert to PCM. There's actually 2 or 3 people working on remastering the missing Earthbound tracks for the MSU-1 mod atm.

TL:DR- Earthbound's gonna be a month or four before it's finished. And that's assuming there's no more problems with the ASM code (which we won't know for sure until we get the PCM set finished, and the game playtested with it).

Wow, Man thats a lot on one's plate. I honstly could not handel something like that. And slowing down because you felt burned out thats fine because your health is more important then a game. I know that from a previous project, not w3d with Conn, working with conn is awesome. The project I had worked on was a 5-10 page paper, with sources,such and redoes as well, I cracked under the stress and wound up at the E.R needing to get a shot to help calm me down. So I am glade for you just slacking off a bit. Smile For all its worth Ys 5 turned out great, So take as many beer breaks you need Very Happy . Don't worrie about Earthbound that game from what I have read that was posted really is a huge headache.

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 19:07 by Polargames

[quote="Conn"]I looked into OOTW. Looks like a terrible game to msu it. I think I am able to find a trigger for it, but again hardcore mute and such.

Earthbound: Oh wow, do you like to pcm every of the 191 tracks? It has a spc fallback Razz ....[/q

So does that mean that game for you at least is on the back burner for now, or is it a game that you would not play yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post Fri 22 Jun 2018 - 19:38 by edale

I actually don't know too much about Earthbound myself, I've never actually played it.

So far, other than helping to organize things I haven't really done anything for the Earthbound MSU project.

I'm planning on taking a week or two off of MSU work before jumping in to help on that project. That doesn't mean work isn't being done, it's just being done by other people atm.

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 0:26 by Polargames

edale wrote:I actually don't know too much about Earthbound myself, I've never actually played it.

So far, other than helping to organize things I haven't really done anything for the Earthbound MSU project.

I'm planning on taking a week or two off of MSU work before jumping in to help on that project. That doesn't mean work isn't being done, it's just being done by other people atm.

I had only played Earthbound about 2 to 3 times thats all I had ever play. When it came to the snes I play the normal hits like mario,kirby,Contra 3, Really wished they would of Re made the og contra to snes like mario all stars. But oh well. Understandable, I hope that you enjoy the time off from msu and have fun. :-)

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 2:25 by edale

Polargames wrote:I hope that you enjoy the time off from msu and have fun. :-)
Well, I do have FFXV PC that I bought release day, but am only in chapter 3 of... Needless to say, I have plans for the time off, lol.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 8:22 by Conn

I looked into OOTW. Looks like a terrible game to msu it. I think I am able to find a trigger for it, but again hardcore mute and such.
$80/C95B BC 00 80 LDY $8000,x[$80:8004] A:0004 X:0004
The level triggers are easy, it is here in the X (02: intro, 04: level1, 10: password, etc). But the sfx mute is a pain in the a... at least I couldn't find a good mute. Neither hardcore mute. And the worse: geiger crashes and bsnes has no apu trace function.
Maybe I find the music pointer (it's connected to the stack somehow), if anybody likes to help, be my guest Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 8:58 by Señor Ventura

Conn wrote:As said, don't count on it.
There's a video of the intro, I plan to use that alike the alttp video for the intro. No idea what you mean by 16 bit tiles, I never touched the game until now.

Means that videos uses a plane to update tiles in order to show an animation, and we are used to see 256 color videos on the msu1, so every tile costs 64 Bytes.

If you use 4 colors tiles, every tile costs 16 Bytes, and then the bandwidth spreads more.

The key is that the game surely uses only 2BPP tiles, and with this you can enlarge the window of the video, or increase the frame rate.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 9:53 by Conn

I'll simply use Ikari code from alttp. I need more colors since the video I have is excellent.

I now found the mute for OOFTW:
$0204: FF FF (2 bytes)
Together with the level select
$80/C95B BC 00 80 LDY $8000,x[$80:8004] A:0004 X:0004
to trigger level specific music, I have all basics I need now...

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 13:36 by Polargames

edale wrote:
Polargames wrote:I hope that you enjoy the time off from msu and have fun. :-)
Well, I do have FFXV PC that I bought release day, but am only in chapter 3 of... Needless to say, I have plans for the time off, lol.

Hey thats awesome LOL

Back to top Go down

Polargames

Post Sat 23 Jun 2018 - 13:39 by Polargames

Conn wrote:
$80/C95B BC 00 80    LDY $8000,x[$80:8004]   A:0004 X:0004
The level triggers are easy, it is here in the X (02: intro, 04: level1, 10: password, etc). But the sfx mute is a pain in the a... at least I couldn't find a good mute. Neither hardcore mute. And the worse: geiger crashes and bsnes has no apu trace function.
Maybe I find the music pointer (it's connected to the stack somehow), if anybody likes to help, be my guest Very Happy

Wow, the game crashed geiger, I did not know that could happened, So far every game I had played with it never done that before.

Back to top Go down

gyaragax

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 21:28 by gyaragax

I've been mulling for some time about doing a couple pcm sets for this game, one using the 3DO soundtrack, and another using Rich Douglas's Wolfenstein orchestral soundtrack.

Going through the game and documenting where each of the pcms in this metal set play in the game, I was not able to find anywhere where either ws-msu1-4.pcm or ws-msu1-6.pcm occur in the game.

I'm going through all the different versions of Wolfenstein 3D, PC original, the 3DO version, the original SNES tracks, and your pcm set to plan out what tracks I'm going to put where, but I didn't encounter either of those tracks.

Do know what's up with those, or do you have any documentation I could take a look at?

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 21:49 by pev

@gyaragax Best way would be to use the stage cheat codes and see what song plays where. I advise using bSnes++ and type in the MSU track address of $2004 and place a hook on the W (write). When the stage starts (using the stage code), bSnes++ will stop and show the current track value (see image below). You can find the Breakpoint Editor via the Debugger (the Debugger is located via the Tools menu in bSnes++). Hope this helps.

Wolfenstein 3D - Page 2 Wc-tra10

This link has some stage select cheats, including stage codes (click on the word link in red). There are a lot of levels in this game. This is why I chose to just go by "in-game" designated track values. Each stage uses a mix of all possible tracks (would have been a messy track map documenting every stage).

Last edited by pepillopev on Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 23:27; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

gyaragax

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 21:58 by gyaragax

I used the in-game stage select, holding R on startup, then pressing Up+Select. Also used the in-game stage skip method, pausing in a level and hitting UP-B-R-B. Checked out every stage, every menu, title screen, credits, etc. I wrote down everything that played. 0-3, 5, 7-10, 178, 205, 235, and 240 were all used.

Just pcm 4 and 6 did not appear to be in the game, not in any alternate hidden levels or anything that I saw. Are they used?

I will also check it out with that method, but just wondering if you're aware if they are used at all?

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 21:59 by pev

@gyaragax Tracks 4 and 6 are playable in the music test. This is how I mapped it from what I can recall. The music test can be accessed via Game Genie Codes below:

C043F659
C043F768

Once activated, the moment you press START on Title Screen it will jump into the Music Test screen. As for them being used, I'm not sure. I did not do a full play through of the game.

Back to top Go down

gyaragax

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 22:09 by gyaragax

Right on. I'll look into it further. I'll do some more comparison between the tracks that play in the original game and your set to see how it all plays out. Thank you.

I'll probably have a couple more pcm packs to go along with this patch in a while.

Back to top Go down

Post Sun 5 Aug 2018 - 23:29 by pev

@gyaragax Ok, when you get your PCMs done, link them here and I will post them at the top with the other set. Thank you, in advance, for the contribution.
Smile

Back to top Go down

gyaragax

Post Mon 6 Aug 2018 - 18:56 by gyaragax

So, I figured out what was happening, after doing some extensive comparison between the original and msu patched games.

Originally, track 04 - Roster plays during Mission Complete (stage clear), and track 06 - U R A Hero plays during Mission Briefing and at the end for Overall score.

Since the patch handles those with additional tracks, though both 04 and 06 pcms can be played in the music selection menus, neither of them appear in the game.

A couple quirks I noticed, as a result of the additional track handling, after completing the patched game, following the victory screen, it should then play the Mission Complete music (originally track 04, but now handled elsewhere here by 178) and then the Mission Briefing track for Overall score (originally 06, now 205), but both are silent.

Then, following the cast credits roll, it shows the developer credits. In the attract mode with the MSU patch, when this comes up, track 240 plays, but here, at the end, it is silent. In the original game the Dev credits used 0A (track 10).

Those couple things at the end seemed like they might have been missed.

The other little thing, that I wasn't sure if it was an intentional feature or not, is that since the intro/title music is handled by track 235, rather than 00, if you press start at the title screen, it continues to play 235, but if you let it enter attract mode and then press start, the main menu then plays track 00.

Other than that, I now know where everything is supposed to line up, so I can plan out my packs. Now I just have to see what makes the most sense in terms of where the 3DO game used tracks in the same levels and where the PC version, with different levels used its tracks.

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 12:50 by pev

@gyaragax I would have to study Conn's code a bit to see how he handled the msu tracks. I would also have to compare the game's behavior in its original non-patched state to see what to do. Unfortunately, Conn and I are preoccupied in other projects to see this through, for now.

At the moment, I'm helping Kurrono finish Star Fox and have Saturday Night Slam Masters and Hook on my plate. Apologies in advance.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 13:26 by Conn

I am not sure if I am of much help here. The burden of playtesting did Pev Razz

Looking at the code again, it appears rather simple... and your report suggests that we simply forgot to add some tracks at the end (therefore you have silence).

If you like you can help us finding the missing tracks, if you start bsnes, go into
-> Tools Debugger
-> Debug Console: Breakpoint editor
Here enter 2004 and make a W hook

Wolfenstein 3D - Page 2 Image215

Now the debugger will happily halt whenever a new track is introduced (hit run to continue).
In above picture, it is the low byte in A that is of interest:

cfff57 sta $002004   [002004] A:0feb X:0000 Y:0003 S:0fe6 D:0ff0 DB:7e nvMxdizc V: 15 H: 93 F:32
Breakpoint 0 hit (4).
cfff57 sta $002004   [002004] A:0fcd X:0000 Y:0003 S:0fc8 D:0fd2 DB:7e nvMxdizc V:247 H: 69 F:16
Breakpoint 0 hit (5).
cfff57 sta $002004   [002004] A:0002 X:0000 Y:0001 S:0fd4 D:0fde DB:7e nvMxdizc V: 46 H: 78 F:52

You kind of guess it:
$eb = dec (pcm) -235 (game start)
$cd = dec (pcm) -205 (mission briefing)
$02 = dec (pcm) -2   (first level)

If you can provide the missing track numbers and track suggestion to pcm, it would accelerate the progress much I think.

Last edited by Conn on Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 13:30; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 13:29 by pev

@Conn Thanks for the assistance.

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 13:47 by Conn

I simply checked myself now, with cheats and password. I killed Adolf, then victory appeared and then it tries to play

cfff57 sta $002004 [002004] A:0fb2 (178) (exists)
cfff57 sta $002004 [002004] A:0fd3 (211) NOT PART OF PCM set
cfff57 sta $002004 [002004] A:0005 (5) (exists)
cfff57 sta $002004 [002004] A:0fda (218)NOT PART OF PCM set

Back to top Go down

Conn

Post Tue 7 Aug 2018 - 13:51 by Conn

Pev, here are cheats and savestates (invincible, right before adolf):

@gyaragax: it's hard for me to figure your bug report without knowing the game. Let us know what else MUST be fixed.
Attachments
Wolfenstein 3D - Page 2 Attachment
cheat_saves.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(207 Kb) Downloaded 2 times

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next