Windows Bsnes Emulator

Zeldix :: General :: News

Go down

Windows Bsnes Emulator Empty Windows Bsnes Emulator

Post by Polargames Mon 30 Dec 2019 - 16:30

Hello everyone,

I would like to let everyone know that as of now byuu has taken down bsnes windows binary code download off of his site for the time being. If your wondering why here is a quote from his site.
byuu wrote:Regrettably, I have no choice but to remove Windows binary downloads from my website.

They are being flagged and blocked in spite of being absolutely clean, on the sole basis that they are uncommonly downloaded. Which by definition is going to keep happening every time I release new software.But essentially, I believe I need a Windows EV code signing certificate, and I am unable to get one. The BBB has not responded to repeated attempts requesting to register my business with them, which is a pre-requisite for obtaining the certificate. In fact, I don't even know if EV code signing will be enough, Google does not specify how to prevent this warning in the future, but right now it's the only thing I know to try and resolve this issue.

I will try to come up with something, but for the time being, I am afraid that downloads are only available as source code or Cirrus CI buildbot results. I apologize for the inconvenience, but my hands are tied here.

That is why they are down. You can download higen from his site, that's in the clear for now. I did ask if this would affect the windows lib retro binaries as well, but I have not heard back from him yet. Will do my best to keep you all in the loop.

P.S in the comments on his post a person that works on google chrome has sent a request that the flaging to be removed for bsnes.
Polargames
Polargames

Windows Bsnes Emulator Image112

Since : 2018-06-06

Back to top Go down

Windows Bsnes Emulator Empty Re: Windows Bsnes Emulator

Post by Conn Tue 31 Dec 2019 - 7:09

That's too bad since bsnes 113 is currently the only emulator to play the SGB Final Fantasy Adventure properly (except higan, but this bml stuff...)
At least there are some mirrors:
https://www.emulator-zone.com/snes/bsnes
https://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Miscellaneous/bSNES.shtml
Conn
Conn

Windows Bsnes Emulator Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Retroplay Tue 31 Dec 2019 - 9:38

Binaries are still available as nightly builds for all platforms
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/byuu/bsnes/master
https://cirrus-ci.com/github/byuu/higan/master

Speaking of which, Higan v107 has yet again gotten an UI overhaul, so I guess all the v106 manifests I have is in need of an update yet again.
Just need to figure out how to launch a game in v107, not as straight forward as one should think. Very Happy
Retroplay
Retroplay

Windows Bsnes Emulator Image110

Since : 2019-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Tue 31 Dec 2019 - 11:50

Oh wow, i am sure, all these bml changes make perfect sense, but it is impracticable for common users. Luckily bsnes 113 does not need anything (not even a xml) to play msu. I'd suggest to code higan to also check our msu convention (check for msu.rom, if not found check for gamename.msu, same for tracks), but I think it is out of reach to convince byuu. Which is also retraceable for me, since he wants to have his code as clean as possible and gets thousands of complaints and suggestions each day.
As result of the complexity higan became however (which is also based on the fact that even you get problems to simply load a rom), the logical conclusion is to not further support higan and recommend and support using bsnes, sd2snes, snes9x only for playing with MSU. Especially if my tutorial
https://www.zeldix.net/t1789-create-a-bml-file-for-higan
on how to create higan bml is obsolete since politics changed (again) in 1.07.
I also do not know if qwerty updates mercurial magic...
Conn
Conn

Windows Bsnes Emulator Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Retroplay Tue 31 Dec 2019 - 14:13

Yeah, I've decided not to start any Higan v107 related manifests.

As it is, it's way too overcomplicated.
I did manage to import an MSU1 patched rom in Icarus, yet no clue how to actually load it in Higan.
Library option seems to be removed now and it worked fine in v106. Sad
Retroplay
Retroplay

Windows Bsnes Emulator Image110

Since : 2019-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Tue 31 Dec 2019 - 16:33

Update, Well so far not much has changed from what I have posted, I did get a message back from byuu and he told me my idea of having a mega link for bsnes would not fix the issue of chrome flagging it. I understand it not being fix, but I think it would of been a good work around for people to get it. He also told me that the Lib retro are not affected by this, So at least if a person has retro arch your all good. Thanks @Conn for letting me know that their  mirrors for bsnes, and @Retroplay for letting me know  the nightly builds being still up. You guys rock :-D

In the comments a engineer named Peter help to explain things better. TL;DR He said that because of not having a  code signing cert or even having one could still have the problem, its google that is the root cause and until they actually fix it, this problem could reoccurred again.  

This comment though has a good point
Hias wrote:I don't think this is a good idea. Windows people who do not want to compile their binaries for themselves will be looking for unofficial win32 binary sources, e.g. on forums. That way your users could end up with malicous code the binary provider included.

Could you not simple create a win32 download page (extra subfolder-path), with does not get indexed with Google (robots.txt or similiar)?
This way Google does not see the binary links and can not complain about them...?

Thanks and regards

Byuu did comment back
byuu wrote:Hias, it will crawl noindexed pages anyway, and blocking it would be considered cloaking and that risks a much bigger penalty.

It's important to me to fix this the right way that Google approves of.

What would be the bigger penalty? I am lost on that. Ohmygod

Other then that byuu is doing the best he can to be as open to everyone of what he is trying to get fixed. One thing for sure google made one big mistake as making bsnes "not Safe". I do wish byuu the best for sure. Smile

Will again keep you all in the loop if there are any more changes.

Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down

Post by Polargames Thu 2 Jan 2020 - 21:04

Major Update, Byuu has set up an alt link for the time being. Google will still not allow him to host on his site for windows binary. Here is the link to the windows version https://byuu.itch.io/bsnes

I hope this helps. Will continue coverage until this issue is fix for byuu.
Polargames
Polargames

Back to top Go down