[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1 - Page 3 Empty Re: [Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1

Post by Zumi Fri 30 Oct 2020 - 11:22

Well more of the game needs to be tested first before I could do a v1 release 🙃

I think I can try patching it to Yellow. And since the Pokémon Gold disassembly is pretty complete now, I could try making Gen 2 MSU1 even (with the exception of Crystal obviously)

IIRC R/B is SGB, Y is SGB+GBC, G/S is SGB+GBC and C is GBC only.

Since (like I said) I am pretty dependent on the disassemblies, I'll probably just make English version patches.

Though I do wonder if... a hacky approach of making a foreign language patch for English and then patching it to the MSU1 hack? I doubt it though lmao

Zumi

[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1 - Page 3 Image111

Since : 2020-10-22

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1 - Page 3 Empty Re: [Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1

Post by Zumi Fri 30 Oct 2020 - 12:04

I have no clue how to manage that without changing up stuff in the home bank and a lot of map scripts (because obviously the locations between the US/FR versions would differ so much), so some help would be nice here Smile

Basically Gen 1 music playing works by manually setting a music bank and the sound ID to play, which differs per bank. Also, there are map scripts that call special functions to play a certain song at a certain tempo or from a certain point, so that definitely doesn't help 🙃

Here I basically changed most of the calls so that it will call a single function with a single argument that is the track number, and that function will deal with GB / SGB stuff.

If I didn't do that then I could have written code matching a lot of combinations with track numbers, which I don't think is ideal.

TL;DR: Gen 1 is really hacky. I hacked in a music ID system to make things less tedious / hacky for me.

Gen 2 will be much easier though, since it already comes with such a system. I might even be able to create simple patches with the traditional workflow of replacing the function with one that just fits at the end of the home bank, placing the new code somewhere else and have the code in the home bank point there Smile

Zumi

Back to top Go down

Post by Zumi Fri 30 Oct 2020 - 12:31

Actually I *just* now discovered that someone made a disassembly of the French version for R/B: https://github.com/einstein95/pokered-fr 🙃

Building it, it seems to match the French ROM. Turns out I could actually port the patch to here pretty easily. Consider yourself lucky Wink

Zumi

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Fri 30 Oct 2020 - 15:36

Thanks for the explanation, so red,blue,yellow,gold and silver can be done for msu1 (I hope you get 'em all Wink ).

Your patch appears pretty complex (47kb), so I guess there's much more featured than just msu1.
If I port a game and it is small enough, I simply use a hex comparison program and look for the changes. If I find a hook, I simply search for the corrresponding hex string in the rom I want to port, and change it (with this method porting a rom to a new language or version takes 20 minutes or so). Unfortunately, this method seems to not be applicable due to the high complexity of your code...
Conn
Conn

[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1 - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 0:23

HI!
I did not know the Pokemon games are being made for gameboy msu-1. This is pretty exciting. ABChiccups told me about this project recently and if Pokemon Silver gets a patch I would absolutely love to make the PCM music for it.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Since : 2018-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 13:22

Brutapode89 wrote:
JUD6MENT wrote:HI!
I did not know the Pokemon games are being made for gameboy msu-1. This is pretty exciting. ABChiccups told me about this project recently and if Pokemon Silver gets a patch I would absolutely love to make the PCM music for it.

Maybe musics from Pokémon: HeartGold and SoulSilver?
https://mega.nz/file/oLh1UCBB#7WUwfJfRZQeBeXVPvNe5QsiGzNwf5kQ7a_VL5m-4jnk
Let me know if a music is missing Wink

No, that would be filler if i struggle to find a good track for maybe one or two tracks. I could do a better album. Besides, at that point i would rather just play soulsilver.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 15:09

Brutapode89 wrote:When Pokémon Gold & Silver will works into MSU-1, can I make a PCM pack from Pokémon: HeartGold and SoulSilver?

Is there plans for silver and gold to be msu1? And of course, dont really need my permission.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 17:14

What PCM packs are being made for Gen 1 right now?
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 20:12

If you want to become a professional pcm artist, Brutapode, you should learn how to loop the songs and normalize them to the correct level.
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 20:58

The best thing to start are qwerty's videos:
https://youtu.be/9pDXdaWS9-Q

https://youtu.be/moN3ZTFa2dg

Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by ABOhiccups Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 21:36

Brutapode89 I made a Starter Pack to get you started.
Attachments
[Super Game Boy] Pokemon Generation 1 MSU1 - Page 3 Attachment
Pokemon Gen 1 PCM Starter Pack.zip You don't have permission to download attachments.(3 Kb) Downloaded 2 times
ABOhiccups
ABOhiccups
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2019-08-22

http://abohiccups.crypto

Back to top Go down

Post by ABOhiccups Sat 31 Oct 2020 - 22:19

Brutapode89 wrote:These are .json files.
I know. Just watch Tutorial videos that Conn shared you.
ABOhiccups
ABOhiccups
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2019-08-22

http://abohiccups.crypto

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 1 Nov 2020 - 2:26

So seeing that Johto games also include kanto region, there is no downside by me starting with a gen 1 symphony pcm pack. I really like to make orchestra albums rather than use music from remastered versions of same game, and the internet is full of absolutely amazing pokemon orchestra covers.

Then if we decide to do a silver/gold msu i will be half done by having kanto region done. And i do hope we make a silver/gold patch, i played these games from the beginning and Johto is still by far my favorite region/generation.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Zumi Sun 1 Nov 2020 - 2:31

JUD6MENT wrote:
The PCM pack from Pokémon: Fire Red & Leaf Green is ready Smile
https://mega.nz/file/oLh1UCBB#7WUwfJfRZQeBeXVPvNe5QsiGzNwf5kQ7a_VL5m-4jnk
Let me know if a music is missing Wink

Just tried your PCM pack! It's weird yet interesting to be able to play R/B with FR/LG music Wink

Unfortunately this pack doesn't seem to be normalized to -12dB yet, so it completely drowns out both SNES and GB sounds.

Applying it to my patch, there are also quite a few songs missing:
Code:
27: Rival's Theme
28: Rival's Theme (Reprise)
29: Meet Rocket Trainer / Evil Trainer
30: Meet Female Trainer
33: Evolution, Safari Zone
44: Ending (the slow version of Pallet Town in the FR/LG soundtrack, also known as "Epilogue")

JUD6MENT wrote:Then if we decide to do a silver/gold msu i will be half done by having kanto region done.

G/S/C have their own arrangements of Kanto music though Razz (Conn)

Zumi

Back to top Go down

Post by JUD6MENT Sun 1 Nov 2020 - 3:32

It will work, the silver/gold may have new arrangements of kanto tracks but they are still the same tracks with the exception of a few (like lavender town is completely new) Doing msu1 is changing the arrangement anyway.
JUD6MENT
JUD6MENT

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sun 1 Nov 2020 - 5:17

Unfortunately this pack doesn't seem to be normalized to -12dB yet, so it completely drowns out both SNES and GB sounds.
We have an easy tool do adjust the volume in seconds:
https://www.zeldix.net/t2068-msu-1-re-normalization-lower-pcm-volume
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next