Project-Nested

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Project-Nested - Page 4 Empty Re: Project-Nested

Post by edale Fri 30 Jul 2021 - 23:28

Brutapode89 wrote:A development during two years?

Example:

- Project Colored: Game Boy Color games on SNES.
- Project Advanced: Game Boy Advance games on SNES.

But I think it's not possible at all.
GBC games: use a Super Game Boy.

GBA games: not possible. Despite the similarities to the end-user between SNES and GBA, there are considerable changes under the hood, and parts of the GBA have considerably more power than those parts on the SNES, not even counting the architecture changes.

edale

Project-Nested - Page 4 Image110

Since : 2017-10-03

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Myself086 Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 4:24

Here's where I'm at with Zelda 2. There's a wall of garbage tiles and it isn't a graphical issue, these are solid so it's something with CPU emulation.

I had a thought today that it may be a page crossing issue and indeed it was!
Code:
STA $5FFF,Y
This line is used when clearing the map during screen transitions. The base address falls outside the valid range for SRAM so it gets ignored as invalid I/O port. I'll just lower the range to $5F01 since nothing in this range is used by mappers that I cover and it's also open bus on SNES.

Hopefully it fixes villages as well. Link falls through the ground and the waterfall cutscene plays before being brought back to the world map.
Attachments
Project-Nested - Page 4 Attachment
z2ss0.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(178 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Since : 2021-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 6:14

Thats a beginning Very Happy thanks for sharing.
Currently I try to figure out with qwerty the cherry on top how to make a clean mute for msu.
https://streamable.com/vyoh08
0:25 small NES music kicks in till it's muted by the later irq call.
It's not much disturbing, but yeah - the wish for perfection Smile
I hope I have time left to get it done soon, also time for zelda2 in case it works with your next pnn release. Work eats my time up Sad

Edit: with qwerty's help I know how to fix it and make it perfect mute, but I need to wait for the more stable pnn 1.4. the current Gameprofile in 1.3 hooks and places the code where the track is stored to $0609 to a different place.
Conn
Conn

Project-Nested - Page 4 Image212

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 13:37

Conn wrote:Edit: with qwerty's help I know how to fix it and make it perfect mute, but I need to wait for the more stable pnn 1.4. the current Gameprofile in 1.3 hooks and places the code where the track is stored to $0609 to a different place.
Do you hook code generated by the exe? This isn't the best practice for forward compatibility. I've been telling you about placing opcode $22 in the NES code to call SNES code. It'll work no matter what version or profile of Project Nested you're using (v1.1+?). It could even work with the randomizer without too much effort.

While running SNES code, you no longer have perfect access to NES ROM data nor NES I/O. PRG RAM will be at $B06000-$B07FFF. Place your SNES code in range $FF0000-$FF7FFF and decrement banks as you need more. WRAM pages 08 and 09 are reserved for ROM hacks which you can access with SNES code only. There may be an option in later releases for leaving certain banks untouched.

v1.4 won't be released for another week or 2.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 14:07

Do you hook code generated by the exe? This isn't the best practice for forward compatibility. I've been telling you about placing opcode $22 in the NES code to call SNES code. It'll work no matter what version or profile of Project Nested you're using (v1.1+?). It could even work with the randomizer without too much effort.
I will make a complete revision as soon 1.4 is released (no rush, take your time), and will hook the nes code completely then like you suggest.
For now, with all the crashes I am using the SRM iteration steps, and it re-locates the nes $0609 write somewhere else, so it's not a stable hook with the code replacements (I hope I was wording it correctly). As soon it runs stable I am able to hijack the nes code the way you suggest Smile
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 14:20

Conn wrote:it re-locates the nes $0609 write somewhere else, so it's not a stable hook with the code replacements (I hope I was wording it correctly).
I don't understand.

Do you have discord?

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 31 Jul 2021 - 14:24

Reading it a second time I think I know what you mean, patch the nes code before conversation?

Yes,
Conn#1114
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Thu 5 Aug 2021 - 18:32

Brutapode89 wrote:Is it possible to make FDS games into MSU-1?
I really think they need to focus on making actual NES games run properly before trying to expand the functionality, don't you?

That said, FDS does actually seem like something possible from a technical standpoint. The 2 main hurdles I'm aware of are processing the additional sound channels offered by the FDS, and replicating how the FDS handles saves and loads. Then again, I don't really understand the inner workings of any of this, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by D2DEZEL Mon 9 Aug 2021 - 5:09

Brutapode89 wrote:Impossible to make FDS games into MSU-1?

there are FDS roms converted to NES roms
D2DEZEL
D2DEZEL
Fluteboy
Fluteboy

Since : 2018-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 17 Aug 2021 - 19:35

Brutapode89 wrote:Is the Project-Nested's update ready?
https://github.com/Myself086/Project-Nested/releases
It'll show up there first.

And no, v1.4 is not out yet. We're likely looking at a month or two for it, not a week or two.

Nested is a 1-man project done for free in his spare time; don't expect speed in projects like that.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Tue 17 Aug 2021 - 22:32

I'm just finishing some SRM updates and fixing Gleeok before releasing v1.4. I'd say about 2 weeks.

Zelda 2 won't be fixed for v1.4. The proper fix is part of a group of changes that I want to get into all at once for v1.5.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Tue 17 Aug 2021 - 23:39

edale wrote:We're likely looking at a month or two for it, not a week or two.
Myself086 wrote:I'd say about 2 weeks.
Well... Excuse me while I go wipe this egg off my face... Embarassed

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 28 Aug 2021 - 16:28

v1.4 is out. Have fun!

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sat 28 Aug 2021 - 19:34

Myself086 wrote:v1.4 is out. Have fun!
Do the 'calls' from loading an SRM during conversion need to be updated in a game's profile, or will those remain the same?

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 28 Aug 2021 - 20:47

Loading the SRM into the exe will automatically save those "known calls" (aka: sub-routine pointers) into the profile.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "will those remain the same".
They will remain the same for every time you play.
They will remain the same if the same NES ROM is used.
The resulting SNES code won't be at the same address every time. I highly discourage editing it.

If you're exploring the game in small sessions, you can load them as you go and they add up.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by edale Sat 28 Aug 2021 - 21:21

I was basically asking if the calls saved in the profile from v1.3 will still be valid in v1.4. I don't know what kind of under-the-hood changes were made, nor if any of those would affect the call addressing.

edale

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sat 28 Aug 2021 - 21:42

Yes, if you created a profile with known calls in v1.3, they will be 100% compatible with v1.4 and every future version.

They are pointers to the NES code in a NES format.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Post by Myself086 Sun 29 Aug 2021 - 13:19

Updating the compatibility list is a long process, usually Memblers from Nesdev does it. He did about 90% of the work on the sheet. Some entries on the list are for v1.4 already.

I test very few games because I'd rather focus on fixing them. The games I focus on are either requested or have potential to be fixed quick.

If you want to help with testing these games and edit the sheet directly, just let me know.

Myself086
Cucumber
Cucumber

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next