Zelda3 IQ test grand release

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Zelda3 IQ test grand release - Page 3 Empty Re: Zelda3 IQ test grand release

Post by Euclid Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 0:55

Conn wrote:sometimes it's just a hammer tile, they look similar to the orange peg switches... if this won't help please send a screenshot, Puzz is always here to help out Razz (Conn)
Yeah that was probably from the tireness of solving those block puzzles. Mistaken the pegswitch with the hammer tile.

So I've finished - like conn I came through the back of the helmasaur and looks like i'm at -1 key too looking at that locked door (probably missing a key from the pit area of the final dungeon). Didn't find the red tunic or the 4th bottle if it was available in game.

Some final notes:

Spoiler:
Euclid
Euclid

Zelda3 IQ test grand release - Page 3 Image212

Since : 2012-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Erockbrox Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 3:25

Big shout out again to Conn for coding the Goldstar weapon.
Erockbrox
Erockbrox

Zelda3 IQ test grand release - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 6:52

Don't forget we have the goldstar only due to your suggestion Razz (Conn)

Puzz, may I suggest the following design to fix the helmsaur complex?
Spoiler:

We have several choices to overcome the fairy problem:
- apply the latest version of complete items (though I dunno about the side effects (bugs), better not)
- send me the original rom and I code fix it (but I am moving into a new city tomorrow, so this will take a time, maybe better not)
- renounce on the big fairy and store the upgrade items into chests instead (probably easiest and best). Since rupees are not needed in the game you can give 9000 from start and also put the witch there to buy blue medicine (and offer the 4th bottle?) for Ganon fight.
Conn
Conn

Since : 2013-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnachy69 Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 7:10

Hey Puzzle,
Is it not possible to make an ips patch and the rom as .smc extension so i can make an .WAD file of it .sfc will not work with VC Injectors programs like Auto Injector V3 also Impaler Wad injection Very Happy

Arnachy69
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 7:26

Hmm I must be missing something but I can't seem to find a pegswitch to get the block down after the mirror shield.
sometimes it's just a hammer tile, they look similar to the orange peg switches... if this won't help please send a screenshot, Puzz is always here to help

Yes, that's hammer-able.

Looks like the IQ Test is safe at RHDN. The download link works and the queue status is no longer pending.
It survived 3 deletion flaggings. Will make an update to the game to 1.1 and remap some, to be compatible to more emus.

I haven't had time to play the hack a lot but tonight I managed to play it again and I'm still in the block puzzle area and made a lot of progress. How long is this hack? So far I'm at the part where you have blocks that create water and block tiles.
Not that long. A lot shorter than the original.

So I've finished - like conn I came through the back of the helmasaur and looks like i'm at -1 key too looking at that locked door (probably missing a key from the pit area of the final dungeon). Didn't find the red tunic or the 4th bottle if it was available in game.
Great Euclid that you finished the game!
There is no red tunic or the 4th bottle.

though the black areas are not cool in the final dungeon, more like walking around smashing things at random instead of solving puzzles.
Yes, this part can be very unfriendly.

For some reason I went into Ganon expecting him to be PW difficulty (and stocked up to max arrows) - was the original ganon this easy?
I didn't want the player to suffer much on the end (Ganon has the same difficulty as original).

Puzz, may I suggest the following design to fix the helmsaur complex?
-new chest with key
-new bumper
-new location to land
-fairy problem
New chest with key not possible aside the big chest (can bug both chests).
New bumper location will unallow to reach the cane of Byrna before the Survival-section.
New location to land can be edited.
Fairy problem - will solve it to remove the fairy and add a chest with Silver Arrows.

The solution to the problem that you can reach the Helmasaur room from behind - I will probably use something more easier and less complex.

Main problem is the "fall down" location. I'll change that to an earlier room.
Second problem is that small key - which you can take but not unlock the door - I'll remove the small key and the small-key door.

Hey Puzzle,
Is it not possible to make an ips patch and the rom as .smc extension so i can make an .WAD file of it .sfc will not work with VC Injectors programs like Auto Injector V3 also Impaler Wad injection.
The special format in which the game is currently being released will not allow IPS (ips would contain the entire rom) or the creation of the WAD file. The extension really doesn't matter. Even if this would be coded as .smc, you still could not play this in homebrew WAD on Wii.

But a much more compatible format is to be released. You will be able to play the future release with Snes9x_GX for Wii, and will thus not need homebrew WAD. Maybe the future release will be compatible with WAD.

Can you WAD this game:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/11/

than you will be able to do the same - when the IQ version 1.1 is out.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Zelda3 IQ test grand release - Page 3 Image213

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Sat 10 Oct 2015 - 10:24

I see. I am pretty sure you find a satisfacting solution Very Happy
I didn't have the byrna cane since I walked up, got the key, and then decided to fall down the pit dungeon somehow.

Would it be a good idea to add an auto magic refill (slow level) to your hack? You see, you can get always stuck where somaria is required (or also at Trinexx if you miss his heads a couple of times), and if you used byrna to get rid of all the monsters your magic should always be at low level. Then also the upgrade fairy is even less required for green potion at Ganon.
Of course the auto-refill gives room for cheating (stand in an edge, accelerate zsnes) but maybe the benefits outweigh this.

Edit: got some further suggestions: even with your revelation on the teleport algorithm I think many people will solve it by random. Why not making a memory test here by giving the different Room complexes different background color palettes? This way you remember, I've been here already, last time I tried this, wrong so now I try the other teleporter. All current rooms look very much alike making it difficult to find your algorithm.
Second suggestion to the black room hammer tiles you must randomly hammer and by luck hit one, Euclid also mentioned as not so good. If you make the hammer tiles visible you could at least anticipate where to go
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by scawful Sun 11 Oct 2015 - 3:38

I'm definitely going to check this out now that I have a bit more time on my hands! Awesome to be able to play a Zelda 3 hack that'll challenge my vast intellect Wink

EDIT: First impression, I like a lot of these subtle graphic changes. Makes it seem more interesting, about to start level 1. Excited!
scawful
scawful

Zelda3 IQ test grand release - Page 3 Image211

Since : 2013-07-04

http://zeniea.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Arnachy69 Sun 11 Oct 2015 - 8:42

Puzzledude wrote:
Hey Puzzle,
Is it not possible to make an ips patch and the rom as .smc extension so i can make an .WAD file of it .sfc will not work with VC Injectors programs like Auto Injector V3 also Impaler Wad injection.
The special format in which the game is currently being released will not allow IPS (ips would contain the entire rom) or the creation of the WAD file. The extension really doesn't matter. Even if this would be coded as .smc, you still could not play this in homebrew WAD on Wii.

But a much more compatible format is to be released. You will be able to play the future release with Snes9x_GX for Wii, and will thus not need homebrew WAD. Maybe the future release will be compatible with WAD.

Can you WAD this game:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/11/

than you will be able to do the same - when the IQ version 1.1 is out.

Nope the .smc file of the rom is to large than the program for inject the rom isn't not work ** Cannot inject the rom file to large **
rom files only injected to wad if the rom smaller than 2,5 mb all above will not inject

Arnachy69
Wish Fairy
Wish Fairy

Since : 2015-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sun 11 Oct 2015 - 10:03

Too bad. Good to know though.

I also pulled the plug for 1.1 version. So do not expect an update. Main reason: I did not plan to make any other versions, since I regarded the game as finished and when testing multiple times I did not encounter problems.

Second reason: The difference between versions would be minor, yet there would be a lot of work needed: making of Lorom 1.1 of the last part, testing Lorom 1.1, gluing to Exlorom (again), testing of Exlorom (again), making patches and uploading (again).

So much like the known issues of Goddess and Parallel projects, this project will also remain with its "minority problems".

The only thing I'm still willing to make is a Pdf Guide on how to finish/play the game, though.

Edit: Also reduced the topic from Global announcement back to Normal announcement.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero Wed 14 Oct 2015 - 17:31

That Block Pushing Dungeon was long and tedious, despite the puzzles being awesome. I got the treasure from the big chest, but it is disappointing that there is no boss to fight at the end...
Thanatos-Zero
Thanatos-Zero
Bee
Bee

Since : 2014-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Wed 14 Oct 2015 - 20:20

patience, it will come with the 3rd pendant (this still belongs to block village Wink
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 4:02

Thanatos-Zero wrote:That Block Pushing Dungeon was long and tedious, despite the puzzles being awesome. I got the treasure from the big chest, but it is disappointing that there is no boss to fight at the end...
Good to know, that there are users (specially on this board) who appreciate the work that's been put into this project. It is ironic, that I also gained so many haters and spammers with this work and that so many discussions and conflicts emerge in every sence - from game design, to mapping, to emulating, malware.

And the boss will come eventually, I simply devided this dungeon to 2 main parts, so you wouldn't have to redo some sections.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 9:25

I thank you Puzzle, but still... the block dungeon needs variety, so you are not becoming tired because of it (Are we there yet? ARE WE THERE YET?! Very Happy), so make rooms with enemies which need to be cleared or something simple like the one room which only requires the Hookshot to cross, which was surprisingly fun for a change.
All in all what your block level needs are several breather rooms to avoid the Marathon Level aspect.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BreatherLevel
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarathonLevel

Regarding other puzzles, ever played Alundra?
In this game there are Ice pillar/cube puzzles which require you to think were you move the blocks/pillars, as they won't stop moving until they hit a obstacle.

I however won't spoil anthing, as it would reveal the solutions to the puzzles as well.

Alundra in any regards has the best puzzles to offer.
Thanatos-Zero
Thanatos-Zero
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 11:54

Uh wow, ice blocks... What an excellent idea. Unfortunately I retired Embarassed
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 12:56

Conn wrote:Uh wow, ice blocks... What an excellent idea. Unfortunately I retired Embarassed
You can atleast try out Alundra. :3
Some Zelda Classic Quests offer those ice block puzzles as well.
Thanatos-Zero
Thanatos-Zero
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 16:10

I played Alundra but cannot recall it... but I recall these puzzles from OoT I think.
hmm, maybe in a while when I am bored I will check. But playing the iq I was surprised what I did (have completely forgotten). Puzz, how did I manage to make the special water blocks, the duplicate blocks and the blocks leaving hammer tiles where you cannot push another block onto?

Sorry, I hacked so much that my brain is a sieve...
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 16:29

Regarding other puzzles, ever played Alundra?
In this game there are Ice pillar/cube puzzles which require you to think were you move the blocks/pillars, as they won't stop moving until they hit a obstacle.
Yes, nice type of a puzzle. I know this under the name slidoban. Not sure if possible to do in Alttp.

But playing the iq I was surprised what I did (have completely forgotten). Puzz, how did I manage to make the special water blocks, the duplicate blocks and the blocks leaving hammer tiles where you cannot push another block onto?
That is actually a derivate from your multipushable block. No special extra encoding is neccesary, just Hyrule Magic and the fact how original Alttp is programmed - namely it reloads whatever is originally under the pushable block. It was pure "luck" that with multipushable block this gets reloaded all the time by default. So if you want the water block, you simply put a standard water tile and a multipushable block on top. (If you want a stone-duplicate block, you put a stone under). You can also make a block which "spawns" warps or torches etc.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 16:54

So I finally beaten the game (without any help whatsoever).
I am happy that there were no further block puzzles except the one with the spike floor.
Also there is one particular room, which requires you to traverse a invisible floor path over a large bottomless pit, which screams fake difficulty.

Not to forget, that invisible room, I second to make the hammer tiles there visible.
Thanatos-Zero
Thanatos-Zero
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 17:13

So I finally beaten the game (without any help whatsoever).
Congratulations. Good to know there are players out there who are capable of doing that - and are actually playing this game, rather than debate and spam (lots of spam lately).

Also there is one particular room, which requires you to traverse an invisible floor path over a large bottomless pit, which screams fake difficulty.
Yes, I though this room would be unattractive.

Also, because of all the "intrigues" both here and on Romhacking.net with this release, I don't have the desire or power to come up with the version 1.1 based on reviews.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Conn Thu 15 Oct 2015 - 18:04

Ahhaaa, *lol, and I almost figured it was an ingenious asm I made and just couldn't recall.

If there were a 1.1 I had also suggested to give the blocks different palettes so you can distinguish better which type of block you move (dunno whether this is possible though). Also, though I really admit those iceblock is quite interesting and I could probably hack a block that, when placed on an ice tile, moves forever until it hits an obstacle... I assume it's too late for this suggestion, since the iq is finalized.
I also do not think any other here is now interested in adding such a puzzle in his project - if this changes, I'll try to hack it on demand
Conn
Conn

Back to top Go down

Post by leertaste1 Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 3:38

Woah, fun challenge so far!

I just seem to be banging my head against the wall in a certain room in block village... can I just get a spoiler-free answer to my question? I don't want the solution, I probably just need some time off to reset my blockage Razz

Spoiler:

leertaste1
Bee
Bee

Since : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 5:31

Nice, a new user, who is not a spammer, doesn't debate on game mapping and doesn't think the game is bundled with the virus. Good to know.

There are 2 teleporters in this room, both are for reseting the puzzle. The lower one is there, since you can trap yourself in the central coridor.

I see 2 water-trailing blocks and one normal.
Yes, that's it. You solve everything with these 3 blocks.

This is just a Hint, not the entire solution:
Spoiler:

Note: this puzzle is probably the best/most difficult one I did, which is using only 2 types of blocks.

Also: I have a question for you. Which emulator are you using and what kind of file extension for the hack did you choose. (Namely you have the "old" method - ie custom emus only with hack being .sfc, or the "new" method - ie official emus with the hack being .zip).
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by leertaste1 Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 6:53

Alright, a break was all it needed, came back after a while to try again and it worked just fine.

Spoiler:

Now two rooms further. Just when I thought all the mechanics were assembled, you add those brown-trail blocks Razz This should get interesting!

Followed the readme for patching. xdelta with .zip output, Fusoyas 8MB sznes build

Got some work to do now but hyped to continue later on

leertaste1
Bee
Bee

Since : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 9:11

Followed the readme for patching. xdelta with .zip output, Fusoyas 8MB Zsnes build.
Good to know, since I only made a basic test of loading in the various emus.

Now two rooms further. Just when I thought all the mechanics were assembled, you add those brown-trail blocks Razz This should get interesting!
Yes, you have 4 types of blocks all together: normal, water block, brown block, and stone block. There is also a certain room, which uses all of them at once.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanatos-Zero Sat 17 Oct 2015 - 11:38

Before I forget, your messages in the Block Puzzle Dungeon were great as well as being motivating for to go on.
It would have been greater though to add more of those to keep us motivated.
Thanatos-Zero
Thanatos-Zero
Bee
Bee

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next