Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room

Go down

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Empty Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room

Post by Devan2002 Sat 24 Feb 2018 - 18:26

Basically, I added a dark room to the original game, but even with the lamp, it doesn't work. I don't know if it has to do with me modifying a rom where I have pre-existing save files on it.

This is what the room looks like with the torch lit:
Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Aaa_2018-02-24_17.20.52

And this is when it goes out:
Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Aaa_2018-02-24_17.20.41

The lamp is equipped which signals that I have it.

I basically added the thing that all dark rooms (that covers the entire screen, and then a graphics thing where it shows all 4 lamp cones which are object FF3 and FAA) and they are both on layer 2. And BG2 is set to Dark Room (in HM).
Devan2002
Devan2002

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Image213

Since : 2017-10-30

Back to top Go down

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Empty Re: Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room

Post by assassin17 Sat 24 Feb 2018 - 19:12

I don't know if it has to do with me modifying a rom where I have pre-existing save files on it.
expand on this: are you using savestates or traditional saves?  did you exit the dungeon entirely after modifying the ROM, and re-enter it cleanly?

also, if you have access to a RAM viewer or debugger: what are the values of 7E:0458 and $0414 when you're in this room?  what are the values of $001D with the torch lit and unlit?
assassin17
assassin17

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Image111

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Empty Re: Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room

Post by Devan2002 Sat 24 Feb 2018 - 20:16

assassin17 wrote:
I don't know if it has to do with me modifying a rom where I have pre-existing save files on it.
expand on this: are you using savestates or traditional saves?  did you exit the dungeon entirely after modifying the ROM, and re-enter it cleanly?
I'm using OpenEmu, and when I have a game with similar data (aka my romhack) and the same exact name, it keeps the sram of the file, therefore I can have what are called "restore points" which are essentially the 3 files in the file select screen, one where the game is at the very beginning, one before pulling the pedestal, and one that is currently testing on the dungeons. No save states are used, as they are not carried over to modified roms. Not to mention that I delete the old versions of my rom (and load in the updated version of the rom with the applied changes).

Update: I realize I don't really need the FF3 object, as it's for the cave with the lost old man.
Devan2002
Devan2002

Back to top Go down

Post by assassin17 Tue 27 Feb 2018 - 14:35

ah.. i know on GBA, which expands the lamp cone to also appear when you have 1-2 torches lit (i.e. a partially darkened room), there oddly is NOT a cone in the lost old man's cave.  so yes, it's probably best you're no longer mimicking that room.

did tossing the FF3 object solve the problem?
assassin17
assassin17

Lamp Cone not working in a new dark room Image111

Since : 2015-03-14

http://assassin17.brinkster.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Devan2002 Wed 28 Feb 2018 - 21:06

assassin17 wrote:ah.. i know on GBA, which expands the lamp cone to also appear when you have 1-2 torches lit (i.e. a partially darkened room), there oddly is NOT a cone in the lost old man's cave.  so yes, it's probably best you're no longer mimicking that room.

did tossing the FF3 object solve the problem?
I realized the layering was wrong, FF3 (which makes the room pitch black) was on top of the lamp cone. Though FF3 is only for when the lamp cone looks weird (like when certain tiles like the walls extending down into the void like in the mire big key chest. And despite HM's warning of there not being enough room for the room header, it doesn't cause any problems. It can save, which is something that doesn't happen when there is not enough room for a room header (where the changes don't get applied, like too many overlay tiles).
Devan2002
Devan2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Puzzledude Thu 1 Mar 2018 - 9:11

not enough room for a room header (where the changes don't get applied, like too many overlay tiles).
Not really. Not enough room for room header means you room header properties have run ouf of hex space. These are not room objects, but room properties, which you can see above any room: gfx numbers, bg effect, pal numbers, as well as what you see when you press the More button: tag1, tag2, hole/warp location, staicase1,2,3,4 transit and the Plane for each after transit.

There should be no problems for you to make any room in the game a dark room, unless it has bg2 set to Normal, in which case it is a 2 bg room. Same for Paralaxing, Transculent BGs etc. These rooms can not be dark.

You set the BG property to "Dark room" (and not to "Dark" for instance). Then you press on number-2 for adding object on BG2, and add an element FAA (forget about FF3). FAA is the main element you need. In such a room you must not insert torch-objects (ie torches lit all the time). You can insert special torches (ie the ones to be lit), but only 1 or 2 or 3.
If you insert torch-objects (lit all the time), the room will not be fully dark, but will go to shade1, shade2 and no shade (depends on how many torches you add).

This method is also used for PAL swaps between two room who have different PAL and GFX properties, but are one next to other. A dark room with 3 torches (always lit) will "dim the lights" uppon transit and reset the PAL and GFX correctly even after direct scrolling.

Otherwise in a regular dark room aside FAA object on bg2 and the BG main property Dark room. You also need a Lamp. When you enter such a room, the light will dim first on transit, then when you get it in, the room will be fully dark aside the Lamp light.

Regarding the header message. This message means your header is bugged. Such a rom might already be useless. Recomended is to use the latest version of Hyrule magic and then use the function "Move headers" which will allow you to have max possible header properties for all rooms.
Puzzledude
Puzzledude

Since : 2012-06-20

Back to top Go down